What do you think about extending a RV Extended Care Service Contract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I believe I know what you're going to say. A little background first:  We purchased out 5vr almost 3 years ago used and also purchased a Extended Service Contract with Easy Care for $1700.  As it turns out, we are making use of the contract right now. My black water tank has a very bad leak like it may be cracked on top and it's in the shop right now. Also I have a issue with the large living room slide. So I'm figuring I'll just about break even by the time they get done fixing the tank and slide.

Today, I received a letter in the mail wanting me to renew my contract. For 4 more years, I could get it for $3318. I'm thinking it's not worth it. The way I see it, the most expensive item which could go bad would be the fridge. If it did, I plan on replacing it with a residential fridge.

My question is do any of you think it would be worth it to spend over $3000 for 4 years of coverage? I think I could make a lot of repairs for $3000.   

Put $100 a month in a savings account and you'll have $4800 at the end of 4 years. That should cover any repairs.

I would have sprung $1,700 for three years as well, but I'm thinking no for 3 grand. If you haven't broken it yet, what are the odds?

I had a service contract before on a different rig. In the long run, I lost money. Sometimes peace of mind is worth it to some folks, but I doubt I will buy one again. I tend to view service contracts like any insurances that I have.  I am betting that I will have a need for it, and the insurance company is betting that I won't. Which ever way it goes, I still lose!

I feel strongly both ways.

For a fifth wheel or TT it's probably not worth it.  (I'm sure you can get a better price if you shop around)

But for a motorhome, especially a diesel, where a single bad fuel injector can set you back thousands the odds are a little more in your favor.

Our last contract with EasyCare saved us money (I.e. They lost).  We renewed and are well on our way to breaking even in just over a year.  And that's with me doing some of the minor repairs myself.

Since we renewed we've had :  slide brake failure, leveling jack failure, wheel bearing seal failure, transmission seal failure and probably a couple other items I'm forgetting.

8Muddypaws said:
For a fifth wheel or TT it's probably not worth it.  (I'm sure you can get a better price if you shop around)
But for a motorhome, especially a diesel, where a single bad fuel injector can set you back thousands the odds are a little more in your favor.
X2

In just 9 months I've just about broken even on my 3 year policy, but  everything so far has been chassis related, so on a fiver wouldn't have been worth it

All I can say, Rene, is that I did NOT renew my 5-year policy when it expired. The price increased dramatically and I felt the odds were that I could pay for any necessary repairs myself, especially since I can DIY many things.  But as with any insurance, it's a crap shoot. It all boils down to guessing the likelihood of a $3000 repair job. IMO, trailers don't have many of those, or at least not many that such a policy might cover.

As I stated in my original post, I had the feeling what the answer was going to be.  Thanks everyone for your input. It just reaffirmed my thinking that it's not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom