Slide ripped flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2011winnie

2011 Winnebago Access Premier 31jp  The slide scratched the floor. Thinking it was a rock I thought I cleared it out. Now the slide had torn the flooring. RV tech said that a screw may have backed out of skid. Tech said I can fix it, any info on this posted before? 

Anyone else ever have this happen? I've had it less than a month, looking for some help.

Yea, I seem to be jinx on here.  I guess I might become the expert.....lol

John,  I'll be taking it to a friends large building in the next week or so to "reverse engineer" it...lol
I was told that if I extend the slide out part way, I can then tilt and prop it to get under it. We'll see....

we had that problem, twice. first it was the slide that was coming apart, they rebuilt it, then the nylon slides fell out and caused it to drag.

Well, finally got time to look at the problem. YES, it was a screw that was not completely screwed in. It was covered with the carpet slide and eventually wore through digging into the floor. GREAT Winnebago quality insurance checking here....It only took 5 years for the screw head to work through to the floor ruining it!! It NEVER should have happened in the first place. Anyways, I tightened the screw and will cover it again with some indoor out door type carpet. Still trying to decide how to repair the floor without replacing it all. ......can't help myself with being angry at Winnebago!!!!! a 2 cent screw really did screw me. To top it off, I had the air on while working on the slide, now water is dripping from the ceiling air intake....yeash!!!!  New post to follow.....:(

What a bummer, I certainly  understand your feelings in the situation.  I had to be the 'last ten feet' of the assembly line when our Horizon was new fixing the odd thing here and there. Unfortunately I'll wager every other RV manufacturer has similar issues since RV's are essentially built and assembled mostly by hand

It only took 5 years for the screw head to work through to the floor ruining it!! It NEVER should have happened in the first place.

While they indeed should have made sure all screw heads were well recessed, I can't say that a problem that took 5 years to show up is a glaring production fault that a quality inspector should have caught. A bit of sloppy workmanship, though, that ultimately caused a severe problem. RVs tend to be full of those "little faults" that affect longer term reliability, e.g. wires and hoses that wear through or are pinched, seams that aren't sealed quite perfectly, screws/bolts that are a bit loose, etc. All classic quality faults that occur with hand-made products built on an assembly line.

Just wanted to follow up with how I repaired the torn vinyl fooring.  I found a similar style self stick floor tile that was 18" X 18". Couldn't find a similar style in 12" X 12". It took a while but I was able to cut out the torn flooring leaving a 9" X 18" space under the slide. I cut the 18 X 18 in half and slid it into place. I then used a plastic model type glue and squirted it under as much of the adjoining factory installed floor that I could. I then rigged up a few pieces of wood shims on top of the factory floor and self stick piece. I had the slide serve as weight on the shims for a day or so. Surprisingly it matches pretty good and you might not notice it unless you were looking for it. Looks pretty good and has been functional so far. I put a carpet over the repair site when slide is out and and you never see it.  Now, just patiently awaiting Mr. "Murphy's" next challenge...lol

Oh, and I added a piece of indoor outdoor carpet to the base of the slide to cover the rougue screw that caused all of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom