A Chance Meeting In A Campground...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foto-n-T

Currently I'm transitioning from Arizona back home to Wyoming, during my travels I often meet interesting people and "Joe" is one of those folks.

Few of us will ever know hardship in the true sense of the word.  Most of us will feel sorry for ourselves at times, but a scant fraction of those reading this will ever wonder where their next meal is going to come from or where they might find to sleep tonight.  Should you or I indeed ever find ourselves pondering these things what would our response be?  I would venture to guess that no matter what we think we?d do sitting here in our comfortable homes our actual response would probably be nothing near what our imagination could conjure up, we?re just not trained for it.  When we look at the homeless population what we see isn?t the unfortunate but those that were unable to adapt to their rapidly changing life often because of substance abuse but also many times just because of circumstance.

Today I met a man who humble as he may be commanded my respect as soon as I became aware of his story, some of which I will relate to you here.  His name is Joe and he hales from Wisconsin originally but now calls where ever the weather is warm his home.  In today?s age of motorhomes and RV?s this wouldn?t seem unusual for a seventy-three year old man accept he pilots neither of these.  Instead, Joe?s mode of transport is nothing other than a 2008 Harley Davidson FXR.  Not the big touring model with the stereo and the cushy seat mind you but a bare bones stock Wide Glide with a small windshield and a very large wire basket tie wrapped to the luggage rack and back seat, here again not so odd in and of itself.  Not unusual until you learn that Joe didn?t get his first real motorcycle as he called it until he was sixty-five years old, here is where my interest and respect began to pique.  When I queried him as to how long he?d been on the road he told me seven years!!  My surprise was obvious and he headed off my next question with the answer he?s grown accustomed to providing to those curious about his lifestyle, ?Social Security doesn?t pay me enough to afford an apartment but it pays enough for gas for a bike, a tent and food.?  A sad statement of fact but then again this is a man who has taken his predicament and is living a life that most so-called bikers could never muster the courage to do.

When I asked Joe what he did before he retired his response was non-committal and vague but he did tell me that in his younger years he had five years? experience as a ?street wino? followed by sobriety and many years working with drunks, his penance as he calls it for drinking so much when he was younger.  His long time wife passed away eight years ago from cancer and left him as he says ?broke?.  Less than a year later he suffered a ruptured appendix that almost killed him and that?s when he says he found himself ?really broke?.  Selling his old Honda scooter and a beat up pickup truck gave him enough money for a 2009 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 and he left Wisconsin for the Natchez Trace and points south, he?s been doing it ever since.  The Sportster 883 managed to squeak out 149,000 miles before the Harley dealership convinced him that he really should replace it with something with less miles.  Instead of new they made a deal with him for the FXR that had only a couple thousand miles on it and now sports just over 50,000.

It was obvious that Joe wasn?t really comfortable talking about himself but he did enjoy talking about places he?d been.  When I asked if I could take his picture he said sure ?But I don?t understand why people want to do that.?  I told him it was because I enjoy meeting interesting people and he rates right up there on that list. 

We?ve all met bikers, real bikers, drug store bikers, instant bikers and wannabe bikers but few of us have ever met somebody who rides because it?s all he has left.  Although Joe would probably be more comfortable living in a senior community with rich widows chasing him down every alley in hopes of landing him he makes the best of what God has provided him.  As long as his health holds out he plans on spending the rest of his days following the warm weather in the winter and as he puts it ?sponging off relatives from time to time.?

The reason I?m putting this down on paper so to speak is that given my present situation I find it uplifting to meet someone who has experienced hardship far more brutal than anything I have endured.  Not so that I may look down upon that person and say ?It sucks to be you? but rather so that I can strive to be somewhere near as courageous as they should the need arise.

If you should see Joe some day in a campground or in a parking lot take a few minutes out of your day to shake the hand of a man who served his country and now lives on the fringes.

God speed Joe and may your travels take you wherever your heart leads.

Attachments

• CedarPocket-WisconsinJoe (300x400).jpg
    CedarPocket-WisconsinJoe (300x400).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 197
Neat story and a great guy no doubt.  I find myself gravitating towards Joe falling in the unable to adapt to their rapidly changing life  because of substance abuse theme.  You obviously couldn't post everything but the below comments make me lean this way.
- "Social Security doesn?t pay me enough"  You get what you pay in.  SS will never will make you rich but rather supplement your own retirement plan.  Sounds like he contributed little money to either one. (SS or his own plan)
- "When I asked Joe what he did before he retired his response was non-committal and vague" and "It was obvious that Joe wasn?t really comfortable talking about himself"  There is a reason for that.

I wish Joe well, have no ill will, and would likely enjoy meeting and conversing with him. I might even change my opinion. But as it stands his hard life now is most likely because of life choices early on, not just because of circumstance.  :-\

Great story and I love talking to people of all walks of life. The stories are fascinating.

I hope to run into him someday.

To judge someone based on what you dont know about them, is pretty unfair. (previous comment).

Interesting story about Joe.  I read it twice.  Well written with empathy.  It sounds like Joe has learned to make lemonade out of lemons.  Yes, he probably made a lot of bad choices early in his life but also tried to rectify them later.  I doubt being an addiction counselor (for lack of a better word) would provide much in the way of retirement funding but it apparently helped Joe get on with a more normal life and to have a wife of many years.  It's always interesting to speculate why people go down the paths they do and why some live well while others do not.  Thanks for sharing Joe's story.

ArdraF

Jeff in Minnesota said:
To judge someone based on what you dont know about them, is pretty unfair.

No, I stated an opinion base on what I did know / was told.
Also was level headed enough to say my opinion could be changed with more info. ;D

Joe probably has a lot of life experience, he survives by living a very simple life.

thus... in some ways he may be happier than many other people with a well structured financial plan, all the toys and stress that goes with the hard working hard playing,50 hour work week, 30 year mortgage lifestyle.

That FXR is a wonderful motorcycle... and he has a pass to the whole world.

so...Godspeed Joe, I hope to meet you on the road.

(Great road story Foto...Thanks )

Joe made no bones about the fact that he made some poor choices in life.  My point in writing this was to attempt to draw peoples attention to the method this "1" person was using to deal with his homelessness not to play woulda, shoulda, coulda about how he got there.  He made a choice to not crawl back into a bottle and hopefully he'll stick by that choice for the rest of his days.  He's not being a burden on society or support organizations, he lives his life how he chooses and I personally admire his choice.

There are those out there who look at somebody like Joe and immediately tell themselves that "This could never happen to me 'cause I've planned ahead."  Well I've got news for ya, if you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan, here's an example:  I have an acquaintance that used to work with my wife.  In the old days he worked for MCI Worldcom (care to guess where this is going?).  When MCI imploded he lost over 20 years worth of retirement.  Should he have diversified?  In hindsight of course the answer is yes the problem is like a lot of folks back then nobody could have imagined what would happen.

For those of you who read the article and took it as it was intended thank you, it was meant to provoke thought on how people deal with misfortune.  For those of you who read the article and tried to figure out why he wound up where he did, you missed the point read it again.

As my mother used to say:  "There but for the Grace of God go I"

No, I stated an opinion base on what I did know / was told.
Also was level headed enough to say my opinion could be changed with more info. ;D
One can always reserve their opinion when there is insufficient information on which to base an informed opinion.  Just my opinion  :D

good choices and hard work is no guarantee of an easy life..... (IMO )

Joe,
You said that he sponges off relatives from time to time. Do you know if he has any children. If he does, where are they in this picture. Sounds to me that it's way past time for them to step to the plate in and provide for him like he provided for them the best he could when they were younger.

I have know several very wise people, as they move on in their life that live in a similar simple fashion....there is something actually some what attractive about it when you think on it. Thank you for sharing this encounter.

Irover said:
  I was told an old Indian Proverb by an Uncle when I was a youngster: "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins."

So when you do judge him, you are a mile away and have his moccasins. ;D

Each of us copes with what life hands us with the inner resources we have.  Sometimes those resources come from faith, from example, from the kindness of others, from our circumstances, or from combinations of our life experiences .  I would like to believe that none of us will be judged by our weakest moments in life, but by the moments of strength and the moments of love we gave.  None of us know all the circumstances of Joe's life, nor should we know any more than he chooses to share, but judging him for his life's journey serves no purpose.  I wish him inner peace, health, and joy in his travels and pray that the idea of "sponging off relatives" is his thought, not what is in the hearts of those he visits.

Foto-n-T said:
For those of you who read the article and took it as it was intended thank you, it was meant to provoke thought on how people deal with misfortune.

Well done. I also read it twice to make sure I understood the full meaning of it. There are a lot of "Joe's" in this world. To judge without listening to their story first makes things complicated. And usually inaccurate.

Is it beyond us to take some time and listen to ones plight, contemplate, and then maybe offer help? Maybe a tank of gas or a meal?
I hope not.

Hello all:
Wow?..
I?ve traveled around this country pulling a small TT for 78,000 miles by myself. A trip or two each year in retirement. So, when I met people, I was willing to stop and talk. Based on his mode of travel, and his appearance, this Man ?Joe? would have been one I would have (could have) made a pain in the #@$ of myself. How interesting.
Foto-n-T:
Thank you for the post! It is a well thought out presentation of what you garnished from meeting Joe.
I too would have looked at him with the same eyes, so to speak. Oh, and I too happen to be in recovery, so might have focused more on that aspect of his story as we talked (Joe and I).
Hope my thoughts are as thought full and interesting.
His lifestyle was based more on choice than financial well being. He was/is a wealthy man if he has his health and the means to do what he wants, period.

Derby6:
You explained it?. ?I find myself gravitating? An expression coming from where your thoughts were at moment. And you qualified your response ?might change mind?.
The statement about SS ?You get what you pay in?? Writers of Bill intended that, but it changed to be more charitable I think.
All good inputs to posting.
Jeff in Minnesota: I  also would like to meet Joe.

Ardraf: Right on?.. and I read posting a number of times, very interesting and caring.
TonyDtorch:  My thoughts exactly!

Just Lou:  just my opinion too?..

Rene T:
Motorcyle Joe said: ??.spong off relatives?.? Probably just a figure of speech. He is living as he wants I believe.
Wigpro: Wow? looks like you are living the life yourself. It would be interesting to meet you on the road also?. Actual all of you people.
Happycamper843: You sound like one of the people you describe Happy!

Irover: Liked proverb, and liked more srs713?s comment HaHa?..

Retiredcajunlady: You rock girl....! Heard that phrase somewhere... HaHa.
Denmarc: My thoughts also... right on!

See ya all down the road!

I, too, have made some dumba$$ decisions in my life, and as stated earlier, but for the grace of God, go I. I would venture to say that probably everyone on this forum has, at some time in life, made some not-so-wise decisions. Sometimes it works out okay, and sometimes it doesn't. We should read Joe's story and be thankful that our bad decisions didn't bite us in the butt, or that we were able to recover from them if they did. One of my fears is the medical issue where a spouse suffers a long-term illness and depletes the other spouse's resources. Sounds like that could've been a contributing factor in Joe's situation.

Foto-n-T said:
  He's not being a burden on society or support organizations, he lives his life how he chooses and I personally admire his choice.

What more can anyone ask out of their lifetime?  I salute him, his spirit, and for sharing his experiences with all of us (vicariously) through you.  I wish him a lot more years of living life on his own terms. 

Dance Chick said:
I, too, have made some dumba$$ decisions in my life, and as stated earlier, but for the grace of God, go I. I would venture to say that probably everyone on this forum has, at some time in life, made some not-so-wise decisions.

I'd bet my last paycheck on it. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom