EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Don't rent a cable modem  (Read 1741 times)

8Muddypaws

• ---
Don't rent a cable modem
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
If you're paying a monthly fee for a cable modem you're being ripped off.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Advanced-DOCSIS-Cable-DPC3008/dp/B006IJHK96?tag=cnet-viglink-20

These work extremely well.  Best price I've seen.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

BoomerD

• ---
Re: Don't rent a cable modem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
I've considered that numerous times, but our cable company is also our phone company...and have to have a telephony modem that will work with their system.
(unfortunately, we live in an area that gets horrendous cell service, so dumping the landline isn't a good option for us)
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
Back in the day when I had Comcast, I used my own modem with no problem. They just requested a few numbers off the unit to get it into their system. Old Surfboard if I remember correctly.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »
I've considered that numerous times, but our cable company is also our phone company...and have to have a telephony modem that will work with their system.
(unfortunately, we live in an area that gets horrendous cell service, so dumping the landline isn't a good option for us)
Internet and phone use the same modem? I've only seen them separate, and the phone modem is included with the phone service.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

DutchEagle

• ---
  • Stick and Brick in Woodbury,MN
    • Blog and Adventures and more!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:38:12 PM »
Internet and phone use the same modem? I've only seen them separate, and the phone modem is included with the phone service.

BoomerD is correct, I have a cable modem with a phone line in it. A replacement that could work (depending on provider):

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TG862G-Residential-Gateway-802-11n/dp/B008KRLZCW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1461958580&sr=8-4&keywords=cable+modem+with+voice
Klaas (Retired 9/1/2016) & Eileen (+dog Bailey)
"Qua Patet Orbis" - Dutch Marines (1968-1975)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD
Toad: 2011 Buick LaCrosse (Roadmaster Sterling towbar)

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »
I had Comcast voice for a few months.  It started out at $20 a month.  Then they doubled it.  Then they raised it to $50.  At that point I switched to Ooma.  It took 2 days for them to port my number and it was worth the wait. 

It costs $99 initially for the hardware and $5 a month since then.  The box lives behind my firewall and works flawlessly.

So buying my own modem saved me about $10 a month and raised my internet speed. (Went from 30 to 176 Mbps), and Ooma saves me $45 a month.  That's money I can spend on RV stuff, guitar strings, and ammunition for target shooting.

Mpyre

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »
Good advice here! 

Renting a modem from your cable company is expensive.  I bought a DOCSIS 3 modem and an Ooma phone a few years ago.  It's probably saved me ~$1000 since then.

1998 Fleetwood Flair 25'

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
Don't you need reliable internet for Ooma to work?

We have Wave Broadband for cable/telephone and they're the most UN-dependable provider we've ever had. I have had more outages in the 2-1/2 years we've lived here than I've had in more than 20 years of being on the internet...COMBINED. At least twice per month...sometimes a couple of times per week, phone and internet are out. Of course, call them and "oh, let's reboot your modem!" and it doesn't matter that I've done that at least once before I call...and it almost never works because after the script monkeys have me do that..."Oh, gee...looks like there's a system-wide outage in your neighborhood. No estimated time for repair."   ::)

If I had ANY viable option other than Wave...I'd jump on it...but I don't. (other than Dishnet...which is expensive, has low data caps, and isn't very reliable here)
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
Yes, it needs a reliable connection.  But it doesn't have to be all that fast.  Ooma uses about 512Kbps.

On the positive side, any calls receive during an outage will go directly to your voice mail.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »
I have had my own modem previously but when we switched from Dish back to cable I took their offer of a modem with built in wi-fi. Works great for $10 month and they have replaced it once already when the wi-fi went bad.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:20 PM »
I have purchased both a DSL and a Cable modem locally off Craigslist for 20-25 bucks. These were the exact units  Cox and our phone system used.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »
Yes, it needs a reliable connection.  But it doesn't have to be all that fast.  Ooma uses about 512Kbps.

On the positive side, any calls receive during an outage will go directly to your voice mail.
I would be shocked.... SHOCKED ! If your VOIP was anywhere remotely close to 500k. Its likely 50k, and even thats WAY more than needed for telco standard voice.

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »
If you're paying a monthly fee for a cable modem you're being ripped off.
Some ISP's do not allow you to buy your own cable modem.

I own a few homes. I have internet at each. The one here in SSF is Comcast, and I purchased my own Harris modem (does both, telephone and internet) and router.

At my home in Reno and in Cold Springs Valley, NV, I have Charter. They no longer allow subscribers to use their own  cable modems on their systems. They claim that such have caused problems when they update their services and such.

They do NOT charge a rental fee for their cable modem (yeah, sure, they just raise the bill to cover it for all).

-Don-  SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »
We had Time Warner's phone and Internet service using their modem for awhile, but when the rate kept going up, I first bought an ObiHai ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) that can use many different VOIP services, including the free Google Voice. I selected Phone Power as our primary provider at a cost of $35/year with all of the usual features, and Google Voice as our secondary service. Phone Power has worked very well for us, and in the event of an outage, calls automatically forward to our cell phones, as they do if we don't answer within a user selected time delay. We can also make calls via WiFi from our cell phones using a Phone Power app. About a year after we dropped TWC's phone service, they raised the modem lease rate to $10/month, and I bought a refurbished Arris (formerly Motorola) DOC 3 modem/router/WiFi AP on Amazon for $70. That too has worked well for us.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Hosted by Over The Network