EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Good starter yak?  (Read 5049 times)

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
Re: Good starter yak?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »
25% of list price seems a deal. It going to get a little banged up.
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. Yes I am old school.         2007 Honda VTX double dark side

JDOnTheGo

• ---
    • JdFinley.com
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 04:50:42 AM »
Back to a used kayak question... what is a fair price for a good used one?  I know there are a lot of aspects to that, just like RV's.  ;)  Found another one in my local Craigslist.  It's a 2008 Current Designs (make) Breeze (model), 13 feet, some cosmetic blemishes but appears solid overall.

Be sure to try it on and confirm that it fits - it appears to be sized for smaller folks.  I'm old school on used prices - a good deal is a price that satisfies both the buyer and the seller.  I bought my Necky Manitou used for $300 (with paddle and skirt) and it has provided many hours of really great times on the water.  In my mind, that is a good deal.  If you don't enjoy it once you've given it a try, you can probably resell for that same price.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:20:22 AM by scottydl »
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102 EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »
We decided to pick up a couple of kayaks last summer - and ended up purchasing a couple of Old Towne Vapor 10 boats.   They are 10' boats with relatively large cockpit openings (19.5" x 48").  While I would have liked a slightly longer boat - the large cockpit openings along with concerns about dealing with another 2 feet of boat when transporting and storing the boats sold me on these.   Since purchasing them - we used them regularly thru the summer and into the early fall - on "still water" (small lakes) as well as on a couple of easy rivers popular with kayakers in our area.   

We're now preparing to head down to Florida to flee the Michigan winter and are planning to take the kayaks with us.  This trip brings a number of "firsts" for us with regards to the kayaks.  It will be the first time we've transported the kayaks in freezing temps (hopefully we won't damage the boats while loading and securing the plastic boats due to the frigid temperatures).   This will also be the first time we've done any extended traveling with the kayak - and dealing with having to store and/or secure the boats while on the road and at campsites as we travel (I've picked up a couple of "bike lock" cables which I plan to use to secure the boats by passing the cables thru the carrying cleat on the bow of the kayaks and then through the "riser" of the "dual receiver hitch" on the coach.   Finally, I'm hoping that my DW doesn't freak if/when we happen to spot an alligator or two paddling around on Florida waterways!   

We'll see have to see how this all shakes out! 
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
^^ Make sure you get some photos to share!  :)
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 07:01:13 PM »
... This will also be the first time we've done any extended traveling with the kayak - and dealing with having to store and/or secure the boats while on the road and at campsites as we travel (I've picked up a couple of "bike lock" cables which I plan to use to secure the boats by passing the cables thru the carrying cleat on the bow of the kayaks and then through the "riser" of the "dual receiver hitch" on the coach. ... 

I use a 25 foot length of vinyl covered steel cable, the type used for dog runs. It's long enough to secure the kayaks to vehicles, trees or whatever might be available.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »
Can I brag ?
Please do. You are an inspiration to all of us. Congratulations.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 10:49:39 PM »
I use a 25 foot length of vinyl covered steel cable, the type used for dog runs. It's long enough to secure the kayaks to vehicles, trees or whatever might be available.

Thanks for the tip!  I think I'll look into that!  I'm concerned that the bike lock cables I was planning to use (and own already) - are going to prove to be a pain to work with being only 6 feet each.   A longer cable would nice.   I think I'll swing past Lowes tomorrow and see what I can whip up! 
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I think I'll look into that!  I'm concerned that the bike lock cables I was planning to use (and own already) - are going to prove to be a pain to work with being only 6 feet each.

The bike lock cables can often be daisy-chained end to end if the lock mechanisms are the same on each of them... but they may not be designed for heavy duty use.  A couple of kayaks with wind resistance at highway speeds could create some pretty major force.  I'd be more concerned with the lock mechanisms bending/failing (many of which are pretty flimsy on bike locks) over a cable snapping.

In your situation, I'd imagine that the kayaks are already secured down and the cables are just a safety device... but just something to consider.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
In your situation, I'd imagine that the kayaks are already secured down and the cables are just a safety device... but just something to consider.

Yes, there's a big difference between secure (locked up) and secure (won't blow away). How many times have you seen a couple of kayaks on J-hooks clamped to a roof rack with nothing to secure them?  A handful of sheet metal screws into the roof is the only thing keeping the whole thing from becoming airborne.

I saw something posted online not long ago where a lady was complaining that her factory roof rack was ripped apart by her kayaks being up there without being tied down.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Hosted by Over The Network