Water pump pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E5Jake

We took our brand new 2016 Coachmen travel trailer on its maiden voyage this weekend to a state park here in Michigan. The park only has electric hookup on the sites, so I filled the fresh water tank (49 gallons). We planned on using the sinks, shower, and toilet for #1. We noticed immediately that the water pump would turn on every time we turned a faucet on, and the pressure would drop after only about 10 seconds (if that) of running the water. We could hardly get any decent amount of water in the sink to wash dishes. We would have to turn the water faucet off for awhile so the pump could re pressurize the system then turn it back on to get a few more seconds of water before the pressure would drop again. This is why we didn't even bother to try and shower in it (we used the public facilities for showers and bathroom). We made due for the weekend and only used it to clean up dishes and wash our hands. I can't imagine this is normal operation for a water pump - especially a brand new one. I've checked all the valves and lines that I can see inside the trailer. The valves are all on except for the water heater bypass, and I cannot find any evidence of leaks at any of the connection points. Any ideas on why it won't maintain pressure and/or suggestions on what else I could check? Thanks.

Sounds pretty normal for the smallest (and cheapest) water pump that Coachman could find.

But other things that can make it worse are a clogged filter screen (near the pump) or a pinched/kinked hose.  There is probably a loop of flexible (like a short garden hose) just at the output of the pump.  They do,that to make the pump quieter.

I've read about a manufacturer that laid a wall on top of a water line and it did kinda the same thing but since yours is all faucets it's not likely.

It's normal for the pressure to drop while the pump runs, typically to around20-25 psi. That should still deliver a nice stream to the faucets, though maybe not what you are used to at home. 

On a new RV it is not terribly unusual for debris in the water tank (leftover from drilling holes in it for water lines) to clog the pump intake.  Sandy campground water supplies can be a problem too.  That leads to symptoms such as you describe - the water simply cannot get past the blockage fast enough to sustain adequate flow. If Coachman wasn't too stingy, there will be a small filter screen right at the pump inlet. Usually it twists to open and you can dump out whatever it has strained. Check it out, as soon as you can find and access the pump.

RV water pressure is likely much less than what you are used to at home, as Gary mentioned.  Did you notice any difference with hot vs. cold vs. warm (blended) water supplies?  If so, it could be a setting with the blend valve on your water heater.

Do you think you've run the pump long enough for the hot water tank to fill up?

If all the water access is through the pump (no city water hookup), then the hot water tank should automatically fill the first time that hot water is requested at the faucet.  It sounds like that would have happened, if they were attempting to wash dishes with hot/warm water, etc.

Being a BRAND NEW CAMPER, I side with the crimped hose.  Easy to do with a careless or hurried install.  It fits the symptoms perfectly.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will check out the screen (if it exists on this pump) as Gary mentioned. I had also wondered about the possibility of debris in the tank. We were getting hot water and both the hot and cold side would both lose pressure. I don't see any crimps in any of the water lines and the only section of the lines that I can't see is after it goes down through the floor to the tank.

I guess it's possible that this could be normal for this pump - I just hope it isn't. I've talked to a few of my buddies that own RV's, and they all thought it sounded like it wasn't operating as well as it should. That's why I thought I would ask about it here. I'm going to try to get to the pump this weekend when I have a little more time to see if there is anything in the screen.

When you check the screen, be sure the o-ring is seated properly.  I had a recent occasion where the o-ring was pinched and was sucking air into the pump.  Congrats on the new RV!

CT2VT said:
When you check the screen, be sure the o-ring is seated properly.  I had a recent occasion where the o-ring was pinched and was sucking air into the pump.  Congrats on the new RV!

Will do. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom