EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Norcold class action?  (Read 4120 times)

wb6kwt

• ---
Norcold class action?
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:18:49 AM »
I received an email this week saying there is a pending class action concerning models 1200, N6 and N8 series, here in California, anyone else received this email? I know there was a Norcold class action in the past but this is the first I've heard of recently.

Bob
2004 Brave 30'
Retired Navy Chief
Minesweepers, Destroyers
Retired AV guy City of Tracy, California

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Norcold class action?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:16:37 AM »
I just got a postcard that directed me to a website at NorcoldClassAction.com. You can fill out a claim form there.

The original plaintiffs settled privately and the class action is essentially dead (the attorneys stopped working it), but apparently Norcold will be offering some settlement. I wouldn't expect much without the lawsuit pressure, but it is in their interest to offer something to get people to sign a release and avoid another lawsuit in the future.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:51:15 PM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
The web site is not valid.
Can you provide the details of what may constitute a claim?

Thanks!
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
BinaryBob...try this link:

https://www.norcoldclassaction.com/Home.aspx

Gary had an extra "o" in his post.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »
The web site is not valid.
Can you provide the details of what may constitute a claim?

Thanks!

Gary's thumbs got in the way. The site is: http://NorcoldClassAction.com

Pretty clearly leads you through the process. Have your serial number handy.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

SMR

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »
thanks for the info-
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and our 2 dogs

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Gary's thumbs got in the way. The site is: http://NorcoldClassAction.com

Pretty clearly leads you through the process. Have your serial number handy.

Doh...!  I didn't see the typo.
Thanks. This will be interesting.

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:53:08 PM »
Sorry about that! I fixed the original now.

You can submit the claim form without the serial number, but not sure what effect that may have on the claim. My Norcold 1200 is long gone, so I just marked it "Not Available".
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
It appears that Norcold is offering a $36M fund to share among claimants, but the number of claims has not yet been determined. Therefore the amount that any claimant might receive is still unknown.

The primary litigants in the previous Norcold class action settled privately with Norcold and the law firm has bailed out of the class action suit, so basically it doesn't exist any more.  Norcold appears to be making a blanket offer to try to avoid any new attempt (a suit was recently launched against Dometic over the same issue) and put this affair behind them. They will offer a small payment to every owner who makes a claim, in exchange for a release of liability.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:02:45 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:35 PM »
 Just submitted the claim online.
Not sure what 30 shares will do. Fund an Amish cooling unit?
The last time I participated in a class action, I got a check for 61 cents.  >:(
We'll see....

--Gary RV Roamer--

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 10:19:58 AM »
Not sure what 30 shares will do. Fund an Amish cooling unit?

Not too likely. Lucky if it amount to even $100.

In the previous $33M proposal, claimants would have received $7.02 to $175.40. This one has $36M in the kitty, but the sharing is different.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:24:18 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »
This thread has a bunch of information about the class action by JLE Seminole, who is one of the original plaintiffs, and who objects to the settlement.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norcold-class-action-suit-settled-219489-5.html

Going back to the first page and reading the whole thing is pretty interesting.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »
The class action never had any real leverage because Norcold/Thetford doesn't seem to care about their reputation or their product. Hardly anyone is buying high-end Norcolds anymore, or even replacement cooling units for them, yet Norcold rolls blithely on.  Apparently the near total loss of their market share is not important to their business? Maybe they figure the absorption fridge business is a goner anyway, superseded by the improvements to  compressor-based refrigeration and high energy battery packs, and they have already written it off? Or maybe they are just arrogant? That seems to be what JLE Seminole believes, I would be hard-pressed to disagree with him on that point.

Realistically, not many people suffered actual losses and except for a few litigants they have already been compensated, by their own insurance and [I hear] sometimes with secret supplementary settlements from Norcold. I've also been told by a knowledgeable source that Norcold has indemnified insurance companies that had to pay claims on Norcold fires, so that those companies would not join in the attack. Most of the rest of the monetary loss is by people who feared fires and replaced or modified their fridge proactively. Since Norcold denies there is any valid reason to do so, they will treat them as nuisance claims to be paid off as cheaply as possible.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 08:52:49 AM »
I have a Dometic refrig and look to see if there were any recalls on this unit. Glad I checked because there is. I am now wondering, how can people find out if recall work has been done on their RV or not? Maybe some place where you can enter your vin number. This would be relivent for the Norcold as well. After work is done you need to find out if work has been performed.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
I doubt there is any relationship to the VIN as it mostly relates to the chassis. I don't know if Dometic ever recorded the serial numbers of the fridges they furnished the kits for but these kits could only be ordered by qualified repair techs using the serial number of the fridge involved.

To tell if a Dometic refer has been been modified, simply open the inspection louvered door behind the fridge. There will be a lot of extra galvanized sheet metal on the right hand side boxing in the boiler area. Perhaps a new wiring diagram was affixed to it as well as it was included in the kit for that purpose. We also had to relocate the ice maker water solenoid on one of my fridges to accommodate the new sheet metal box.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:33:25 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 05:14:08 AM »
Hi Alfa38User,

Thank-you for the tip. I'll look and find out. Will at least let me know if something might have been worked on or not. Best!
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
It appears that a settlement/judgement as been reached in this class action concerning the Norcold model 1200 series of fridges.

https://www.norcoldclassaction.com/Home.aspx
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:45:02 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »
Timely...
I hope it funds part of my fridge replacement.
(More likely the screws I needed to purchase)

--Gary RV Roamer--

gclement

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
I just received my checks from Norcold for the claims I made.  They will divide the payments over four years.  Just a heads-up to watch for your check if you filed.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
I just received my checks from Norcold for the claims I made.  They will divide the payments over four years.  Just a heads-up to watch for your check if you filed.

How much did you get?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

gclement

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
Rene, $916 spread over four years...$228 per check for my current Norcold.  Only @$10 for the one I no longer own.

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
Rene, $916 spread over four years...$228 per check for my current Norcold.  Only @$10 for the one I no longer own.

That's about the amount that I received today. Four installments totaling $927.75. Todays check was for $228.90. I never expected that amount; figured that I "might" receive a check for $20-$25. NICE!

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

dpickard

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 05:52:56 AM »

I also received a check for $228.90; to be the first of 4 annual payments.
Seems that they are banking on the fact that some of us will be dead by then.
Gil and Dianne
Piedmont area NC
2007 Allegro Bus 40 QDP

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »
Maybe just using the principal to earn some interest and thus make more money available. $36M could earn a tidy sum in 3 additional years.  However, it seems more likely that Norcold spreading out the payments to reduce the impact on their annual financial report.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
Maybe just using the principal to earn some interest and thus make more money available. $36M could earn a tidy sum in 3 additional years.  However, it seems more likely that Norcold spreading out the payments to reduce the impact on their annual financial report.

Gary,

Do you think that Norcold has insurance that covered the suit? If the payouts are coming out of Norcold's corporate funds, you are probably right that they want to spread it out; especially true with todays low interest rates--they might not earn much on the money they postpone paying out.

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

GaryA

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
WOW!  Some of you guys are livin right.  I got my first of 4 checks and mine was $45.  Wonder why the big difference.
Gary Alexander
2014 Thor 28z
Waxhaw, NC

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
The question of the day is what have they done to prevent this from happening on current product? Did they not refuse to make any changes as they essentually admits guilt to the lawsuit?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
Norcold 12xx series fridges have had a built-in high-temp shutoff since around 2010, but it only shuts down at extreme temperatures, literally just below the level where the boiler would explode. Norcold won't say, but an independent test suggest the high-limit switch trips somewhere around an astounding 800 degrees F. (the normal operating temperature at the boiler is about 350 f.).  Fridge without the built-in high limit sensor have received (via a factory recall) a free auxiliary high-limit sensor that does the same thing.  The ARP aftermarket boiler manager does a much better job of managing the boiler to safe temperature range, but Norcold refuses to adopt it or even admit to its use. last I heard, they were still claiming an ARP violated their warranty and warn RV techs against installing it, or working on fridge that have it. head firmly in sand!

The high-limit sensor may prevent explosions, but it doesn't stop fires. They result from leaking hydrogen & ammonia, which can sometimes ignite if it reaches an extreme hot surface or open flame. Hydrogen, of course, is extremely flammable. Ammonia less so except at high vapor pressures. Leaks are going to happen eventually, but even moderate boiler overheating contributes to internal corrosion that leads to early failures. Norcold steadfastly ignores that except to say the RV needs to be level within their specs.

Use of helium instead of hydrogen with the ammonia helps reduce the fire risk, by helium doesn't enhance the cooling as well as hydrogen does, and too many people already complain of inadequate cooling in RV fridges.  The so-called Amish cooling unit replacement for Norcold 12xx fridges has a model that uses helium instead of hydrogen. Atwood also sells a helium/ammonia RV fridge, but it never caught on.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
I received my first $91.56 check Wednesday, with three more checks promised in ensuing years.  My amount is less because my claim was filed after I had already replaced the Norcold, so no "future" component in the complicated award formula. Still way more than I ever expected to see!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
We got a single check for $228.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director