Lubricateing a Happijac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeds

My camper has not been used for 3 years now. I need to go on a trip next week and am afraid the units will give me grief when putting it on my truck. I have thought about removing the jack and extending the leg, drilling a small hole in the middle of the housing and giving it a good dose of WD40 or Lubriplate as a temporary measure. Any reason why this would not be advisable?

I assume it is seeing low on a frame?  Before doing any drilling, I would just try exercising the jacks.  Lift it up, set it back down, do this if you can a couple times.  Din't sweat it too much.  Are these manual or electric or hydraulic? 

HappiJac stuff I had were just tie downs.

I just looked up HappiJac lifts, the stuff needing lube is all internal, I would just lift it, I would not suggest drilling any holes at all.  There is a good website and a contact tab, maybe exercise that first.

PancakeBill said:
I just looked up HappiJac lifts, the stuff needing lube is all internal, I would just lift it, I would not suggest drilling any holes at all.  There is a good website and a contact tab, maybe exercise that first.

It is sitting on blocks right now. The jacks are electric and are on a 2000 Bigfoot. There are Soooo Manyyyyyy reports of these older jacks failing while lifting a load that I'm a little paranoid. PS they are nicknamed "crappijacs" on many posts. Kidding aside, a 15 year old threaded screw shaft is bound to have lubrication issues, but Happijac has made no provisions for maintenance. Complete disassembly is an absolute major deal. Especially for 4 of them.

OK, so yours are not the recirculating ball style.  If you can remove the jack and run them up and down I would do it.  I had a different kind on mine.

Well I found a great tutorial on how to overhaul one and I did it on one jack. Mercy what a mess it was in. Rust rust everywhere. There is no seal between the motor housing and the jack head and water gets in with nowhere to go. It wasn't fun but interesting!

Here is the link.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22881036.cfm

I think mine squeak when I drive over bumps in the road..  Is this possible?  My truck is squeak free and with the TC on...  It is squeaking at me and I hate it!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metsman5
Back
Top Bottom