Is Car Dolly legal in all states?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ysamuelsmith

Good Evening everyone!

I'm going full time in 2 weeks and getting the rig ready. I'm looking into different options: 4-down, dolly, car hauler (open and enclosed). They all come with different price tags and each one of them have their good and bad aspect...

To be honest I'm not fan of 4-down as I own a Hyundai Sonata, it's not exactly meant to be towed like that and it puts mileage on tires, suspension, etc...

Full open trailer (or enclosed) are my favourite options but still, it will cost a bit more...

So then this is where the dolly options become a good alternative. But I heard (from someone not in the RV world) that dolly may not be accepted as a tow method in some states... Anyone aware of that or its just not true at all?

Thanks for your advice!

As far as I know, tow dollies are legal in all 50 states...but in all but just a few, they will have to have braking systems if your towed weight exceeds certain limits. (each state is a bit different in the weight requirement)

I've not ever heard of a tow dolly trailer being restricted by any state, or Canadian province either. Some states have separate regs for dollies that differ from their trailer regs, but they are typically less restrictive rather than more.

You did not ask this, but ANY of these options will require an independent braking system on the trailer / toad / dolly.  In most states, any trailer or toad over 1500# requires brakes.  For a trailer or dolly, surge brakes are common.  Just make sure whatever direction you go includes brakes.

side note to the comment about full trailer being preferred
I've often thought along these lines as well.... added wear and tear, etc....
but
I do consider a trailer (or dolly for that matter) to also be a whole new can of worms.  Lots of additional failure points introduced.
the wheels, bearings, and tires on a 4 down tow are all very well engineered, meanwhile trailer tires are less so, more crudely set-up and designed, used less frequently, and probably a bit more likely to have problems
so I have concluded that if I ever do get around to setting up a toad, I'd prefer to do 4 down, as the majority of full timers do.

one problem with both the trailer and the tow dolly is ...what do you do with them when you get to a campground.

a tow dolly or a trailer is always in the way....  most CG's spaces are limited in space, some charge for extra parking.

that is a good argument for towing 4 down.

Backing up is pretty near impossible towing 4 down, or with a tow dolly, ....but it is ok with a trailer.

An Allegro Bay may not have the towing capacity or hitch rating to handle a full trailer with a car loaded on it.  That combo could run 5000 lbs or more.

A Sonata requires a pricey transmission lube pump for 4-down towing.  Not to mention tow bar base plates for around $350 + installation. Base plates seems to be available for Sonatas up to 2012, but not after. I'm guessing that lovely swooping body styling makes it difficult to attach the tow bar base.

Back
Top Bottom