Burst window!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agedinamerica

Sitting in our Grand Design Solitude last night, the rear window burst out. That's right, just burst out. Ins will not cover it because it is considered a manufacture defect, Grand Design will do nothing because we are two months out of warranty. Has anyone else have a window just burst out for no reason?

agedinamerica said:
Sitting in our Grand Design Solitude last night, the rear window burst out. That's right, just burst out. Ins will not cover it because it is considered a manufacture defect, Grand Design will do nothing because we are two months out of warranty. Has anyone else have a window just burst out for no reason?

it is possible that

a)something hit it and you didnt hear it

or

b) there was a tiny air bubble in the glass that heated up and caused the glass to shatter

i have seen it happen on cars where as they for no reason just explode - here we get small rock chips that will cause giant cracks with weather changes - i have just replaced 2 or our windshields in the last month

No, nothing hit it. No lawn mower, no kids throwing rocks, just in 55 and older RV park. Just blew.. think it was a defect, but who knows?

Did it burst in or out. (meaning the way the glass ended up) if if burst toward the inside some outside source probably caused it to break. Toward the outside it could very well be a defect.

nineoaks2004 said:
Did it burst in or out. (meaning the way the glass ended up) if if burst toward the inside some outside source probably caused it to break. Toward the outside it could very well be a defect.

True that too which way did it pop?

Probably the wall shifting from being set up unlevel over time, this can happen as a trailer gets older and out of warranty. You should get your trailer into the shop and get it looked at. Is anything else starting to look a little off kilter.

Happy Prospector said:
Probably the wall shifting from being set up unlevel over time, this can happen as a trailer gets older and out of warranty. You should get your trailer into the shop and get it looked at. Is anything else starting to look a little off kilter.

its a new trailer 14 months old - but it is possible if the frame is twisted from not having it level but i think most if not all GD trailers have a self leveling system

In my past 20 years on various online RV groups, I've read of one or two other reports of an RV window "bursting" for no apparent reason. Details always sketchy and never any final determination of the cause. Just a lot of conjecture. Given the rarity of such reports, a defect in the glass or the window installation seems as good an explanation as any. One possible defect would be dual pane glass that has moisture trapped inside. That might conceivably burst from internal temperature build up, though I would think the seal would blow out before the glass burst.

I seriously doubt if frame twisting would burst a window, but I suppose anything is possible. A twisted wall could certainly stress the window frame, but sheet glass usually just cracks from the side edge under stress.

Just an opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it...

Gary RV Roamer said:
One possible defect would be dual pane glass that has moisture trapped inside. That might conceivably burst from internal temperature build up, though I would think the seal would blow out before the glass burst.

I use to have a solar heated house. It was passive solar. I had several floor to ceiling windows on the south side of the house. These windows only last about ten years back then and you'll start to see moisture on the inside. I did have a couple just burst for no apparent reason so it must have just built up pressure like you said Gary. The seals on the sides did not release the pressure. Only the outer pane broke on both windows shattering it in a million pieces. 

Back
Top Bottom