Running out of power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

v33sonata

So this winter I knew I would be boondicking again in the spring so I did some upgrades before heading out. I upgraded my 94 southwind with all led lighting and put a boon dockers 75amp converter to power up my 2 group 24 deep cycle batteries. I left for the mountains Sunday and by Thursday I was out of power to the point I couldn't start the genset. I used the water pump for a total of 10 mins and lighting for about 8 mins that week. The only other thing I know that uses power is the COx detector and  the control system on the  propane refrigerator. So according to the manual on the converter I should be able to run the converter with its. Quick charge system for about 3 hours for about 90% charge so I I fired up the genset for 3 hours. During that time I went thru and removed the fuses for things on the rv that are not used any more. The old none working Co detector and the power antenna system. I work up this morning with the batteries just about dead again..... any suggestions?

First dump thnose G-24 MARINE batteries and try a pair of GC-2 Golf Car batteries

You now have 150 amp hnours of which you can safely use about 50
You will then have 220 +/- 10 amp hours of which you can safely use about 110.. That's over twice the usable power and no other change needed.

With the larger batteries you can go to a 70 amp give or take a bit converter... Or just add a bit of generator run time.

Next. MARNIE batteries, even if they say "Deep Cycle" or RV on them, are really starting boxes, they do not like to be run down too far and will go bad very quickly if run down too far.

My Interestate Work-a-holic U-2200s (A GC-2 type battery) took several deep, and I meen DEEP discharges and recovered.. I've not been so lucky with starting/Marine batteries.

You do have to water them (DISTILLED ONLY) from time to time though.

And would this really help. I feel like I am running out ofnpower due to a problem........? Shouldn't theses battery's last more the. A night?

There was a post on here not too long ago from a guy with a similar issue but his was with the engine battery, turns out he had a short to the frame - wire had some insulation rubbed off. You might try checking for that?

Are you running a furnace?  That could easily drain those batteries quickly.

Golf car batteries are 6v, you wire them in series to get one big 12v battery.

When was the last time you serviced these batteries? Group 24 batteries are about the smallest batteries you can buy. I would go with two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for 12 volt for a start. Think about a battery monitoring system so you can see how much you are draining your batteries. You would be surprised how many amps are being used by various devises.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I also think it's your batteries. Two healthy, fully charged Group 24 batteries should last a lot longer than one day powering only the things you mentioned. Since they're running down overnight they're either not getting fully charged to begin with, one or both are not healthy or there's something turned on that you're unaware of.

I'm with John on this one. Those Group 24 batteries are near the bottom of the pack when it comes to AH capacity and lifespan. It doesn't take many discharge cycles for them to start showing signs of not holding a charge. And yes, GC batteries are usually 6 volt batteries - you just wire them in series vs. parallel like yours are wired now. Before you buy them however (or any other larger capacity battery) make sure they'll fit in your battery compartment. They're physically larger.

Kev

While GC2 golf cart batteries would provide more amp-hours and give at least 2x as many years of use, I don't see that as the solution to the immediate problem. If he indeed used 10 minutes of water pump and 8 minutes of lighting (really?), then something is seriously wrong with his 12v system, or those batteries are shot.  How old are they? When was the last time the water in the cells was checked? Have they ever been severely discharged, or perhaps left for weeks in a very low state of charge? Any of those can rob the battery of its ability to hold a useful charge. Distilled water can be added and it will probably recover, but the other problems are often fatal.

He/she said they are a year old. I would disconnect one of the battery cables and with a digital voltmeter, check the output of the converter while it's charging.

Howdy v33sonata, knowledge is power.  It sounds like it is time to instrument your coach so you know what is happening.  Specifically, a quality battery monitor like the Trimetric RV-2030.  These are not terribly expensive nor difficult to install.  Once installed, you will know exactly how much power is flowing into or out of your battery bank.  Given the appropriate configuration information, it will also be able to report what the state of charge is as well.

Here is a very quick into:  http://jdfinley.com/trimetric-battery-monitor/

The converter could be causing a drain..... A DC amp meter would show if you have current draw.  A inverter  turned on will draw power even if your not useing it. 

Would you post the make and model of of converter you installed, and have you verified that it is working?

Okay so I found the climate controlled switch in the fridge was on. I went out and got a multi meter. With the climate controlled on I am drawing 0.55amps when it's off and nothing else on but for the COx detector and the propane fridge controller I was at 0.10amps. So that could have been a problem. I fired up the genset and tested the converter and it's running at 14.7v according to the manual it's in boost mode. So I went to the battery's. One battery is at 12.7v and the other 12.6v. Is that normal. I did notice when having the converter charging them one of the battery's is at 14.2v but the other is the same. What are your thoughts?

Sounds to me that one of your batteries has/is about to say adios. Buy a set though -they need to be matched to work the best. Bite the bullet - get the GC batteries. Although if they're only a year old it might be a warranty issue. Make em give you two new ones.  Like a chain - they're only as strong as the weakest one.

Back
Top Bottom