EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Where are you boondocking?  (Read 4115 times)

Happy Prospector

• ---
  • RV'ing The Great American Southwest aka-Quartzsite
Where are you boondocking?
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
Where are you boondocking at?

I am currently on BLM land just outside Ridgecrest, CA. enjoying the beautiful El Paso mountains doing a little prospecting for some Gold. This is a great ATV'ing area and there's lots to see. Supposed to be about 70 degrees today but will soon be better. The solar panels are cranking out the amps today.
Kevin, Lifetime NRA Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
Bob, The Yorkie Terrier, Helping me
prospect for gold till the money runs out

AreVeeing

Re: Where are you boondocking?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
nice!, wish I was out there doing the same. I'm still wading through the traditional lifestyle trying to make my way out of it and into fulltime.....

Happy Prospector

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
You'll make it AreVeeing, and once you retire and Fulltime, just remember everyday is a Saturday.
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
You'll make it AreVeeing, and once you retire and Fulltime, just remember everyday is a Saturday.

And every Saturday is payday and every payday you have off.  ;D
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
Not exactly boon docking.  Tuttle Creek campground, Lone Pine, CA.  $5.00 a night, $2.50 if you have a Golden Age or comparable pass holder and a very nice campground.  It's a few miles off US 395 on the road to Mt Whitney and then a mile or so Left (South) until you find the BLM sign for the park.  Large sites that will require some leveling but a great location.   Next night at Chris Flat near Walker CA.  Also no services but great location on the Walker river.  $20.00 a night or $10.00 if a Golden Age pass holder.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

beastmode509

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
Hello everyone. couple questions. What is a golden age pass? Also; What does boondocking mean?

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »
If you are near Ridgecrest you should go check out Burro Schmidts Tunnel just south of Ridgecrest.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
Golden Age, or equivalent is a National Park pass which allows free admission to National Parks and usually up to 1/2 off camping fees.  There is a one time charge for the card which is, or was, issued for life.  Pass is only available to those age 65 and older. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
Golden Age, or equivalent is a National Park pass which allows free admission to National Parks and usually up to 1/2 off camping fees.  There is a one time charge for the card which is, or was, issued for life.  Pass is only available to those age 65 and older.

Gary,

The Golden Age Pass is no longer issued. It is now call the America the Beautiful Pass and for seniors one must be a U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The cost for the Senior Pass is $10.00 and is good for life.

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 11:01:04 PM »
From our Glossary Of RV Terms, Boondocking
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Happy Prospector

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:21 AM »
If you are near Ridgecrest you should go check out Burro Schmidts Tunnel just south of Ridgecrest.

Been there and done that, also found a little Gold in the mineralized area of the tunnel. I even sat on the other side of the tunnel one evening some years ago drinking coffee and munching on some donuts while on a date with a pretty gal from Ridgecrest. We were watching a small lightning storm off in the distance, it was really quite a sight. 
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:04:03 AM »
Gary,

The Golden Age Pass is no longer issued. It is now call the America the Beautiful Pass and for seniors one must be a U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The cost for the Senior Pass is $10.00 and is good for life.

R

Thanks Richard.  I can't believe I've had my pass for almost 11 years.  Got it when I turned 62.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:19 AM »
From our Glossary Of RV Terms, Boondocking

From the glossary:

"Also known as dry camping, boondocking refers to camping without any hook-ups, namely camping without hooking up to any electric, sewer or water facilities."

Correct me if I'm wrong boondockers, but I understood the generally accepted definition of "boondocking" to be camping in an area of undefined camp sites and without hooking up to electric, water or sewer facilities. For example, drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and you're boondocking. This versus "dry camping" which is in a defined campground with defined sites, but still without hooking up to electric, water or sewer.

I realize this is splitting hairs, but for those that see these terms and wonder.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Abendage

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
I too classify boondocking as dispersed camping.
2006 GMC 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3L
2006 Fleetwood Pioneer 180CK, GC2's, 200 Watts Solar

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »
Just to split some more hairs :) dry camping and dispersed camping are both more civilized than hiding out in the boondocks.
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »
Many terms like this depend on which area the country you hail from.  I think the definition in the glossary is just fine. (IMHO of course.)

beastmode509

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
Thank you to everyone on the information. Im currently in Oregon (silverton) I plan to do quite a bit of gold prospecting while I travel so was planning on some areas in nothern california while i travel

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »
If you have internet access to post here you are not truly boondocking.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

Happy Prospector

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 03:01:12 AM »
With Satellite Internet I have Internet access anywhere!

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
With Satellite Internet I have Internet access anywhere!...

That is exactly my point!
The perfect boondocking spot has no cell, internet, or TV reception of any kind.   :)

Sometimes it is nice to be digitally disconnected from the rest of the world.  Not just turned off, but knowing I cannot connect even if I wanted to.  Refreshing.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

Happy Prospector

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »

Sometimes it is nice to be digitally disconnected from the rest of the world.  Not just turned off, but knowing I cannot connect even if I wanted to.  Refreshing.
If that floats your boat Dave then go for it. I'm not "camping" and turning into a hermit, I am fulltime RV'ing, so staying in touch with rest of the world is important  to keep up with my retirement stocks and my family. My "perfect" boondocking spot is anywhere I want it to be.

Retired, Fulltime RV'er
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »
I think OP was hoping this would be a thread where members were boondocking/dry camping - I know I was so I could take note of cool places to consider. I'm not currently boondocking but maybe someone who is could start that kind of thread with responses limited to location. Just saying.....
Scott

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
Scott, I've heard that many boondockers don't like to divulge their favorite location.  That's probably true when someone finds their ideal spot and enjoys solitude.  Still I agree, I'd like to have a bit more disclosure.  We're currently in Yellowstone and took some back roads heading North from the Wells Nevada area.  We came across many BLM areas along US 93  and while we didn't explore, I'm sure there are a number of spots that would work for many.   There are a number of sites that help.  Free Camping type websites sometimes offer info.  Another source we recently started using is All Stays Pro.  it's a subscription site, $32.00 if I recall, but  they also have a free section.  Often the Free Camping directories will lead you to a Walmart type of lot or other low or no charge area.  Not exactly in the midst of Mother Nature, but free.  Really depends on what you want. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
Scott, I've heard that many boondockers don't like to divulge their favorite location.  That's probably true when someone finds their ideal spot and enjoys solitude.

I wondered about that. Still, there are ways to manage it, like someone on this forum did when he gave me the lat/long in AZ after he'd left for NM (you know who you are  ;D ;))

It's a big country. I don't think there's any real danger in a bunch of rigs showing up the day after you post pictures.

Even without exact locations would be interesting to hear approximations: "we're on the XYZ river north of wherever"
Scott

Happy Prospector

• ---
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »
I think OP was hoping this would be a thread where members were boondocking/dry camping - I know I was so I could take note of cool places to consider. I'm not currently boondocking but maybe someone who is could start that kind of thread with responses limited to location. Just saying.....
When I started this tread I didn't want to know exactly where your spot was, but what general area, like Quartzsite or KOFA or Kaibab National Forest. If you need the exact spot, go out and explore or get on Google Earth.

The secret spot is out there all you have to do is find it.
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700

retiredcajunlady

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
From lurking and reading and learning online here, I think "boondocking" is like the terms for soft drink...depends on where you hail from.  Any nonalcoholic drink that is carbonated can be called:  pop, soft drink, soda, coke (SE Louisiana you find them all called coke), etc.  I may be wrong, but it seems that the term does have different names for different people.  Funny thing is, when I read boondocking, dispersed camping, dry camping, etc.  I know what they mean.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »
You could also read our Glossary of RV terms (button in the menu above).
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
The term "boondocking"...
Hmmmm...
Seems to be a couple different interpretations on just what boondocking is. IMHO, boodocking is being anywhere you are comfortable without utilities. For some, maybe a Walmart parking lot for a night or two. For others, no hook-ups in a CG and still within shouting distance of civilization.
And then there are the hard core boondockers. No utilities, no outside communication (other than smoke signals), no cell or sat. service, etc.
Point being all of us boondockers fall into this range somewhere. Myself, we only have genny and battery power. That works for us and we are happy.

Prepare yourself and do whatever makes you and the family happy! That's what it's all about!   
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Hillia

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
This is sort of 'boondocking lite' because we were in a campground with bathroom and shower.

We took our first trip in our (new to us) 1974 Prowler.  It's actually in good shape, given its age, no roof leaks or anything else.  In getting ready to go, we found a leak in the plumbing that will need to be repaired, so we were basically dry camping this trip.  We went to a spot called Home Ranch Bottoms (homeranchbottoms.com) next to the west side of Glacier National Park.  There is a small store there, along with a restaurant/tavern, and they rent spaces in their large gravel parking lot.  The spaces have water hookups, but no electric (they are off grid) and no dump facilities.  However, they are only $22/night, $20 if you don't hook up to water, and you do get the use of the bathroom and a nice shower (shower is an $7 for each). If you don't feel like cooking, the restaurant has barbecue, burgers, etc.

The campground itself is nothing much, just a big gravel parking lot, but the owners are very very nice, and you can get to all sorts of spots for hiking, trailwalking, picnics, fishing, whatever you like, with just a short drive - 30 minutes or less for most of them.  We had a wonderful time; we were the only people at the facility, drove all over Glacier scoping possible future camping spots, etc.  It was a great first trip and everything we hoped it would be!
Sheila and Josh
1974 18' Fleetwood Prowler
2007 Toyota Tundra

Happy Prospector

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
I've never heard the term "boondocking lite" before, that's a good one. Glad to hear that your first trip in your trailer is turning out so good. GNP is a grate place to visit, I spend a week there years ago.

Retired, Fulltime RV'er
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700

Hosted by Over The Network