Where are you boondocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Prospector

Where are you boondocking at?

I am currently on BLM land just outside Ridgecrest, CA. enjoying the beautiful El Paso mountains doing a little prospecting for some Gold. This is a great ATV'ing area and there's lots to see. Supposed to be about 70 degrees today but will soon be better. The solar panels are cranking out the amps today.

nice!, wish I was out there doing the same. I'm still wading through the traditional lifestyle trying to make my way out of it and into fulltime.....

Happy Prospector said:
You'll make it AreVeeing, and once you retire and Fulltime, just remember everyday is a Saturday.

And every Saturday is payday and every payday you have off.  ;D

Not exactly boon docking.  Tuttle Creek campground, Lone Pine, CA.  $5.00 a night, $2.50 if you have a Golden Age or comparable pass holder and a very nice campground.  It's a few miles off US 395 on the road to Mt Whitney and then a mile or so Left (South) until you find the BLM sign for the park.  Large sites that will require some leveling but a great location.  Next night at Chris Flat near Walker CA.  Also no services but great location on the Walker river.  $20.00 a night or $10.00 if a Golden Age pass holder. 

Hello everyone. couple questions. What is a golden age pass? Also; What does boondocking mean?

Golden Age, or equivalent is a National Park pass which allows free admission to National Parks and usually up to 1/2 off camping fees.  There is a one time charge for the card which is, or was, issued for life.  Pass is only available to those age 65 and older. 

garyb1st said:
Golden Age, or equivalent is a National Park pass which allows free admission to National Parks and usually up to 1/2 off camping fees.  There is a one time charge for the card which is, or was, issued for life.  Pass is only available to those age 65 and older.

Gary,

The Golden Age Pass is no longer issued. It is now call the America the Beautiful Pass and for seniors one must be a U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The cost for the Senior Pass is $10.00 and is good for life.

R

HueyPilotVN said:
If you are near Ridgecrest you should go check out Burro Schmidts Tunnel just south of Ridgecrest.

Been there and done that, also found a little Gold in the mineralized area of the tunnel. I even sat on the other side of the tunnel one evening some years ago drinking coffee and munching on some donuts while on a date with a pretty gal from Ridgecrest. We were watching a small lightning storm off in the distance, it was really quite a sight. 

RLSharp said:
Gary,

The Golden Age Pass is no longer issued. It is now call the America the Beautiful Pass and for seniors one must be a U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The cost for the Senior Pass is $10.00 and is good for life.

R

Thanks Richard.  I can't believe I've had my pass for almost 11 years.  Got it when I turned 62. 

Tom said:
From our Glossary Of RV Terms, Boondocking

From the glossary:

"Also known as dry camping, boondocking refers to camping without any hook-ups, namely camping without hooking up to any electric, sewer or water facilities."

Correct me if I'm wrong boondockers, but I understood the generally accepted definition of "boondocking" to be camping in an area of undefined camp sites and without hooking up to electric, water or sewer facilities. For example, drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and you're boondocking. This versus "dry camping" which is in a defined campground with defined sites, but still without hooking up to electric, water or sewer.

I realize this is splitting hairs, but for those that see these terms and wonder.

Just to split some more hairs :) dry camping and dispersed camping are both more civilized than hiding out in the boondocks.

Many terms like this depend on which area the country you hail from.  I think the definition in the glossary is just fine. (IMHO of course.)

Thank you to everyone on the information. Im currently in Oregon (silverton) I plan to do quite a bit of gold prospecting while I travel so was planning on some areas in nothern california while i travel

Happy Prospector said:
With Satellite Internet I have Internet access anywhere!...

That is exactly my point!
The perfect boondocking spot has no cell, internet, or TV reception of any kind.  :)

Sometimes it is nice to be digitally disconnected from the rest of the world.  Not just turned off, but knowing I cannot connect even if I wanted to.  Refreshing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom