Where are you boondocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dave54 said:
Sometimes it is nice to be digitally disconnected from the rest of the world.  Not just turned off, but knowing I cannot connect even if I wanted to.  Refreshing.
If that floats your boat Dave then go for it. I'm not "camping" and turning into a hermit, I am fulltime RV'ing, so staying in touch with rest of the world is important  to keep up with my retirement stocks and my family. My "perfect" boondocking spot is anywhere I want it to be.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I think OP was hoping this would be a thread where members were boondocking/dry camping - I know I was so I could take note of cool places to consider. I'm not currently boondocking but maybe someone who is could start that kind of thread with responses limited to location. Just saying.....

Scott, I've heard that many boondockers don't like to divulge their favorite location.  That's probably true when someone finds their ideal spot and enjoys solitude.  Still I agree, I'd like to have a bit more disclosure.  We're currently in Yellowstone and took some back roads heading North from the Wells Nevada area.  We came across many BLM areas along US 93  and while we didn't explore, I'm sure there are a number of spots that would work for many.  There are a number of sites that help.  Free Camping type websites sometimes offer info.  Another source we recently started using is All Stays Pro.  it's a subscription site, $32.00 if I recall, but  they also have a free section.  Often the Free Camping directories will lead you to a Walmart type of lot or other low or no charge area.  Not exactly in the midst of Mother Nature, but free.  Really depends on what you want. 

garyb1st said:
Scott, I've heard that many boondockers don't like to divulge their favorite location.  That's probably true when someone finds their ideal spot and enjoys solitude.

I wondered about that. Still, there are ways to manage it, like someone on this forum did when he gave me the lat/long in AZ after he'd left for NM (you know who you are  ;D ;))

It's a big country. I don't think there's any real danger in a bunch of rigs showing up the day after you post pictures.

Even without exact locations would be interesting to hear approximations: "we're on the XYZ river north of wherever"

Sun2Retire said:
I think OP was hoping this would be a thread where members were boondocking/dry camping - I know I was so I could take note of cool places to consider. I'm not currently boondocking but maybe someone who is could start that kind of thread with responses limited to location. Just saying.....
When I started this tread I didn't want to know exactly where your spot was, but what general area, like Quartzsite or KOFA or Kaibab National Forest. If you need the exact spot, go out and explore or get on Google Earth.

The secret spot is out there all you have to do is find it.

From lurking and reading and learning online here, I think "boondocking" is like the terms for soft drink...depends on where you hail from.  Any nonalcoholic drink that is carbonated can be called:  pop, soft drink, soda, coke (SE Louisiana you find them all called coke), etc.  I may be wrong, but it seems that the term does have different names for different people.  Funny thing is, when I read boondocking, dispersed camping, dry camping, etc.  I know what they mean.

You could also read our Glossary of RV terms (button in the menu above).

The term "boondocking"...
Hmmmm...
Seems to be a couple different interpretations on just what boondocking is. IMHO, boodocking is being anywhere you are comfortable without utilities. For some, maybe a Walmart parking lot for a night or two. For others, no hook-ups in a CG and still within shouting distance of civilization.
And then there are the hard core boondockers. No utilities, no outside communication (other than smoke signals), no cell or sat. service, etc.
Point being all of us boondockers fall into this range somewhere. Myself, we only have genny and battery power. That works for us and we are happy.

Prepare yourself and do whatever makes you and the family happy! That's what it's all about! 

This is sort of 'boondocking lite' because we were in a campground with bathroom and shower.

We took our first trip in our (new to us) 1974 Prowler.  It's actually in good shape, given its age, no roof leaks or anything else.  In getting ready to go, we found a leak in the plumbing that will need to be repaired, so we were basically dry camping this trip.  We went to a spot called Home Ranch Bottoms (homeranchbottoms.com) next to the west side of Glacier National Park.  There is a small store there, along with a restaurant/tavern, and they rent spaces in their large gravel parking lot.  The spaces have water hookups, but no electric (they are off grid) and no dump facilities.  However, they are only $22/night, $20 if you don't hook up to water, and you do get the use of the bathroom and a nice shower (shower is an $7 for each). If you don't feel like cooking, the restaurant has barbecue, burgers, etc.

The campground itself is nothing much, just a big gravel parking lot, but the owners are very very nice, and you can get to all sorts of spots for hiking, trailwalking, picnics, fishing, whatever you like, with just a short drive - 30 minutes or less for most of them.  We had a wonderful time; we were the only people at the facility, drove all over Glacier scoping possible future camping spots, etc.  It was a great first trip and everything we hoped it would be!

I've never heard the term "boondocking lite" before, that's a good one. Glad to hear that your first trip in your trailer is turning out so good. GNP is a grate place to visit, I spend a week there years ago.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Hillia said:
This is sort of 'boondocking lite' because we were in a campground with bathroom and shower.

Yeah, that's what my niece and I did last week. 7 nights at Greenbelt National Park near Washington D.C.. No utilities, bath house close. Had to run the gen for about 2 hours mid week to recharge the batteries.

$16 a night! I love my self contained rolling hotel room :)

Back
Top Bottom