1988 Travelcraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobski

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1988 Travelcraft on an Econoline with a 460 fuel injected engine.  It has always been located in the Southwest US.  I think it is either a 210FL or a 230FL, but I find very few details and no floor plans for this model on-line.

The sellers have recently completed a variety of projects, including new brakes, five new batteries, TV/DVD, a battery "splitter," inverter and LP tank.  It also has a recently serviced 4500W Onan generator.  Of course I will have it checked out pre-purchase by someone that knows more than I do, but it looks to be in remarkable shape for its age.

The seller wants $8,600, which sounds like a lot to me for something this age.  But I can find almost nothing on-line to compare it to.  The ones that I do find are either junk or undergoing renovations, so at least someone thinks that they are worth renovating.

Does anyone have any experience with this line and could provide some insight here?

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 26
To me it's all about how the owner took care of it. The person who had the unit your looking at seemed to care about the condition of it. I'm not familiar with that product line but I am with Ecnolines and I am very happy with mine. In general though the fiberglass body is a big plus especially if a steel frame is used. Things like that can give you a clue as to the quality and durability of it. Resale would be tough for the same reason your in doubt, the year/age of it, I wouldn't buy it if I was thinking of flipping it. Being an owner of an older class B and a class A years ago the problems you run into didn't have to do with metal if it's from a salt free climate. Most problems come from rubber and plastic so pay close attention to those areas. Brake hoses, propane lines and regulator, tires, door gaskets, water pump and plastic pipes are some of the problem areas with older motor homes, "especially" if they have been sitting instead of being used. When they sit it's harder on them then if they were being used. Doing a quick search on Craigslist for that kind of money most of the stuff around here was in the late 80's to mid 90's so it seems to be in the ballpark, of coarse just because that's the price they are asking doesn't mean that's what they are selling for. I hope this helps, Good Luck!

Welcome to The RV Forum, Bob!

The fuel injected engine is a big plus.  That along with the 4 speed overdrive transmission and the lockup torque converter will probably get your MPGs into the double digits versus being stuck at 6-8 MPG.

I had a Travelcraft of similar vintage but it had the conventional squared off Class C body with a cab over bunk.  It was a solid camper with construction similar to the Winnebago motorhomes, the walls and ceiling being an aluminum framed sandwich with foam insulation.

With the curves in that body, it's probably a molded fiberglass shell similar to a boat hull or the Casita trailers.  The question is whether it was molded as one piece or in multiple pieces and then joined together, if it's multiple pieces where are the seams between them and how are they holding up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom