1975 MCI conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve.Barnett71

I am considering the purchase of a 1975 MCI MC5B.  It was converted in the early 90s.  It is a beautiful bus.  My only concern is the engine.  It is a detroit diesel 8V71.  From the research I have done it seems like that engine is noisy, uses lots of oil and lacks power for climbing hills.  We are wanting an RV that we will be comfortable with taking anywhere in the country.

The V71 is notorious for the issues you mention. Some folks just love the sound of them when they are working hard. They are a two stroke engine vs a four stroke so they make their power at a higher RPM. They are also noteworthy for their dependability and long life. Popular engines in work boats and fire trucks for this reason. Being two stroke I had one start backwards on me once, sounded completely wrong, saw smoke coming out of air intake, shut it off in a panic. Restarted it and everything was fine.

Bill

Thank you for the feedback.  Since the engine is in the back of the bus I wonder how loud it would be for the driver and passengers?

One of the more importand reasons in favor of a bus conversion is:: in a traffic accident,,YOU WIN!!  They are built like tanks.. The downside is that the "converter" is not usually an engineer and will usually follow is wallet and limited knowledge of all the "systems" and how they relate.
  I have been there for many years and enjoyed it but would not go there again,,(I am still active in that community)  ..A commercially built M/H is assembled for the purpose it was intended, by a company that can spread the costs of engineering, quality material, workmanship, and after sale support over hundreds of units sold.. Something a "home converter" just can't do..(There are rare exceptions). If you are the type that enjoys hauling a tool box and spare parts around with you and cleaning the grease from under your nails often, then its for you.. YOU WILL GET AN EDUCATION!! and it can be fun,, for a while.>>>Dan  ( Also check into being able to insure this conversion before swapping any money)

If you wish an RV to take you "ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY"  look carefully for a diesel pusher with,#1. four stroke diesel  #2. turbocharged.  #3. six speed Allison automatic transmission. #4.  and a side mounted radiator....A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN!!.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom