Oxi Clean and Canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Mint

Hello every one. Just curious but has anyone had any experience with using Oxiclean on canvas on a tent trailer ? My concern is to find out if there is any discoloration to the canvas. Is Oxiclean any good for removing mold on interior canvas?  Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You

I talked to my DW about it and it won't act like bleach according to her. What I would do is try it in a inconspicuous place to see how it reacts.

I like your idea about trying out a small area of the canvas to see how it reacts.  I have not purchased any Oxi Clean as of yet because I see there are various types of OxiClean available. The type that I am looking at is OxiClean Stain Removal.  Anybody have any further comments about this cleaner?

We've used it for the past 10 years as a laundry detergent and it works great, however, I have not used the "Stain Removal" version of this product.  I used it extensively on my boat canvas and carpeting both on the boat and in my house using a carpet cleaning machine. 

The base ingredients are sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate.  The blend is a color safe cleaner and it will effectively kill mold and mildew.  Depending on how bad the staining is, you may need to soak the canvas longer or treat it more than once.  Dissolving the powder in hot water is the best approach.  I used a 5 gallon bucket filled with warm water then stirred the white powder into a solution until it is completely dissolved.  The mixture will look milky white and have bubbles in it. 

Spray the canvas to get it wet, then use a pump sprayer to spray the liquid onto the canvas.  The longer it remains in contact with the canvas, the better it will work.  Doing this on a cool day without direct sun is best and a scrub brush wouldn't hurt either.  Rinse thoroughly with water.  If you don't rinse it all out, you will see a white residue, simply rinse it again.

I have also used it on my trex deck and it has never killed the grass or the plants.

Good luck.

With regards to the most recent posting, when you were rinsing off the boat canvas, were you using a garden hose? The problem that I am having is that I am dealing a with canvas wall inside a tent trailer. I wonder if using a spray bottle with clean water would be enough to rinse the canvas well enough? Any further comments?

Would use a pump sprayer with a shop vac to suck up the water to rinse it thoroughly.

Thanks.

Mike

It's a good choice for a first try and should not be harmful when "used as directed" on the label. Whether it will be strong enough to help much is something that can be determined only after using it. I would brush it in well and let it soak for 30 minutes or so before rinsing off. That gives it time to work its magic.  Keep it wet during the soak period, preferably out of the sun, or covered with a tarp if necessary. I've used OxyClean on awnings and roll the awning up while it soaks, then unfurl and rinse well.

I wonder if the canvas would loose it's water proofing if I use a brush with the Oxy clean? Any further comments? Tanks

The canvas will likely lose waterproofing properties and will need to be retreated.

Any bleach or strong detergent will likely dissolve whatever waterproofing is present in canvas or acrylic fabric, and those fabrics do require a waterproofing additive. Vinyl, on the other hand, does not. Vinyl isn't used much in pop-ups, though, since it is not a breathable fabric.

So yes, you should plan on re-applying waterproofing afterward.

What product would be recommended for water proofing the canvass?  Just another comment to say that I recently purchased a spray bottle of OxiClean  that is a general purpose cleaner.  I hope it works Thanks

I use 303 Fabric Guard on my awnings.
http://www.amazon.com/303-30616-Fabric-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B0000AY69N

Other similar products include B.E.S.T. Waterproofing and Kiwi Camp Dry spray. They all work fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom