EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: The lighter side of a colonoscopy  (Read 5451 times)

8Muddypaws

• ---
Re: The lighter side of a colonoscopy
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
Well, it really was a piece of cake.  I was in & out in a coule of hours.  The cute nurse asked me what my pain tolerance was like and I told her about not letting my dentist use novocaine, then she asked about my gross tolerance, so I told her about watching the artificial joint being installed in my foot.  They didn't knocke me out, just a little relaxed.  I watched the whole thing on the monitor.  One small polyp clipped and fried.  I don't know if they found anything to be concerned about.

I guess one part of me is lucky.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

trdiller

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »
Wow your health care seems to be much more sophisticated than ours in the UK.  For your 50th birthday you get a kit to smear your poo on. Pop it in the post and get results back a week or so later. If there is something iffy then you go for testing.  If cleaf you get the kit again 2 years later. Unless that's what's going on here?

Anyhow I wish you all good health and sending very best wishes to you Ned for a good outcome from your treatment.

I think the test you mention is for prostrate issues and not for colon cancer screening.

I was first violated  by this colonoscopy last fall.  The liquid used to clean me out did such a good job my farts echoed.  One polyp was found and removed  so they want to see me again in 5 years. I figure it took 57 years for that one polyp how could another show up in 5 years. She who must be obeyed will probably make sure I get tested again in 5 years.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
I figure it took 57 years for that one polyp how could another show up in 5 years.

Another way to look at it is that it took 56 years to decide to show up and 1 year to show up.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
I think the test you mention is for prostrate issues and not for colon cancer screening.

No, it's for bowel cancer. I am a female so don't have one of those
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
Amen!
Double amen to the prep being the worst part.  I have had 3 and also never had to walk until I was dressed but the last was the worst.  It took me exactly 27 days to have a 'movement' again and after several emails between the doc and me (and lost of Mira-Lax and Benefiber, the most wonderful day of my life was when the plumbing got to working again.

Question:  I was told by my doc that because I am 76 and this is my 3rd procedure I will not be eligible for having another no matter how many more years I live.  Also was told they don't do PSA tests on folks my age anymore either because the corrective action for anything found would be worse than letting the condition continue on.  Sounds like 'death panels' to me.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 03:55:54 AM »
A cute joke I heard years ago about a colonoscopy procedure...
A gentleman was in recovery and was in the midst of regaining his composure. The Dr. came in to show him the pics and to let him know that all is well. Nothing abnormal found.
The gentleman then ask his doc for a written note to give to his wife telling her that his head is truly not up there.  ;) 
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 12:34:03 AM »
I have had two never again Brother in law walked in and never left the hospital something very wrong happened they killed him. Was his third one . Malpractice suite in progress. Sad day for my family.
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. 2010 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon, RVI3 Brake

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 06:17:36 AM »
I have had two never again Brother in law walked in and never left the hospital something very wrong happened they killed him. Was his third one . Malpractice suite in progress. Sad day for my family.

Lots of details missing there William.  Hope your post does not discourage anyone from having this most valuable medical procedure performed.  Any invasive procedure does have risks but this one is not that high.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
    • The Buschs of Ruscombmanor Township and beyond...
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
This was the funniest thread I've ever had the pleasure of reading!

I have been on the forum for a little over a year now and have followed many of the posts y'all have made not really knowing how old many of you were. I assumed most to be in their 40's as the majority of campers I run into are around that age, I'm typically the old man in the campground! I was pleasantly surprised to learn most of you are around my age.

I recognize that while the procedure may be life saving, at my age (70) that one ain't ever gonna happen... :-[ Just got through my first bout with Kidney stones and, well, pray there is never a second. :'(

Gentlemen/ladies be well and best of health to y'all! Still laughing and wife thinks I'm nuts...

Keith

Keith & Laraine Bush

2005 Fleetwood Prowler 270FQS
1995 Chevy Silverado C2500

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.    Mark Twain

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »
My DH, known for his really sick sense of humor, has had 2 of them now. Both times, as he was finishing up, he said to the techs, "That was fun, can I come back next week?"  :o
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »
A lot of funny, a lot of real, all for an important health exam. But there are bad things that can happen.
My most recent involved what they called evolved/trapped gas after a routine colonoscopy.
1. The bad...about an hour after leaving hospital I started having the worse cramps and pain I can remember ever having. And it did not ease. After two hours I went to the ER, doubled over, cramped up and generally not in a good place. I have found that pain is not the priority in ERs, bleeding is.
2. The funny...After finally being seen by physician his treatment plan was to install another tube up the most direct route to the trapped gas and have me walk the hallways until pain eased. Step, toot, step toot for over an hour. Pain finally left along with the toots.
3. The real...nothing found in the exam...clear for another five years.
As another poster said... I will NOT have another unless than can guarantee NO TRAPPED GAS.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

Hosted by Over The Network