The lighter side of a colonoscopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I consulted with my GE about the colonoscopy I was just starting showing the symptoms of something else. He then added an endoscopy to follow the colonoscopy.  He found a tumor in advanced stage and biopsied it, is was cancer of the esophagus.

I also had an endoscopy to follow my colonoscopy and the dr found trace of reflux and prescribed a pill for me to take to make sure it doesn't advance. One small non cancerous polyp was found during the colonoscopy which was removed. Now I am good for 3 to 5 years on the colon and one year on the endo.

Ned said:
When I consulted with my GE about the colonoscopy I was just starting showing the symptoms of something else. He then added an endoscopy to follow the colonoscopy.  He found a tumor in advanced stage and biopsied it, is was cancer of the esophagus.

Take care of that stuff Ned, life can be rough enough without that.

SeilerBird said:
I also had an endoscopy to follow my colonoscopy and the dr found trace of reflux and prescribed a pill for me to take to make sure it doesn't advance. One small non cancerous polyp was found during the colonoscopy which was removed. Now I am good for 3 to 5 years on the colon and one year on the endo.

My last endo found I had Barrett's. Put me on Nexium for the rest of my life. I'm not much on taking pills, so I looked at different things as an alternative. I was vaping at the time and had been for a while. Stopped vaping, everything seems to be fine now. For my system, the side effects of pills are worse than what they are trying to take care of, along with they mostly treat the symptoms, not fixing the problem. Had high blood pressure, was prescribed pills, made me feel worse. Started exercising more, and cut a LOT of salt out of my diet. Blood pressure is fine now. Have high cholesterol, especially high trig's, was put put on different types of statins. Made me feel a LOT worse along with screwing up my thigh muscles. I cut out added sugar and avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. Along with the added exercise, levels are a lot better than even when taking the statins, especially the trig's. Never once did the Dr.'s discuss lifestyle changes (other than stop smoking) before prescribing meds.

Ned said:

How long ago was that Ned?

SeilerBird said:
This is a crappy thread. :eek:

Yea, no kidding. 
Can't talk Politics.
Can't talk Religion.
But its fine for a bunch of old guys to be on here talking Sh!t......LMAO :p ;D

Wow your health care seems to be much more sophisticated than ours in the UK.  For your 50th birthday you get a kit to smear your poo on. Pop it in the post and get results back a week or so later. If there is something iffy then you go for testing.  If cleaf you get the kit again 2 years later. Unless that's what's going on here?

Anyhow I wish you all good health and sending very best wishes to you Ned for a good outcome from your treatment.

Well, it really was a piece of cake.  I was in & out in a coule of hours.  The cute nurse asked me what my pain tolerance was like and I told her about not letting my dentist use novocaine, then she asked about my gross tolerance, so I told her about watching the artificial joint being installed in my foot.  They didn't knocke me out, just a little relaxed.  I watched the whole thing on the monitor.  One small polyp clipped and fried.  I don't know if they found anything to be concerned about.

I guess one part of me is lucky.

jackiemac said:
Wow your health care seems to be much more sophisticated than ours in the UK.  For your 50th birthday you get a kit to smear your poo on. Pop it in the post and get results back a week or so later. If there is something iffy then you go for testing.  If cleaf you get the kit again 2 years later. Unless that's what's going on here?

Anyhow I wish you all good health and sending very best wishes to you Ned for a good outcome from your treatment.

I think the test you mention is for prostrate issues and not for colon cancer screening.

I was first violated  by this colonoscopy last fall.  The liquid used to clean me out did such a good job my farts echoed.  One polyp was found and removed  so they want to see me again in 5 years. I figure it took 57 years for that one polyp how could another show up in 5 years. She who must be obeyed will probably make sure I get tested again in 5 years.

trdiller said:
I think the test you mention is for prostrate issues and not for colon cancer screening.

No, it's for bowel cancer. I am a female so don't have one of those

Larry N. said:
Double amen to the prep being the worst part.  I have had 3 and also never had to walk until I was dressed but the last was the worst.  It took me exactly 27 days to have a 'movement' again and after several emails between the doc and me (and lost of Mira-Lax and Benefiber, the most wonderful day of my life was when the plumbing got to working again.

Question:  I was told by my doc that because I am 76 and this is my 3rd procedure I will not be eligible for having another no matter how many more years I live.  Also was told they don't do PSA tests on folks my age anymore either because the corrective action for anything found would be worse than letting the condition continue on.  Sounds like 'death panels' to me.

A cute joke I heard years ago about a colonoscopy procedure...
A gentleman was in recovery and was in the midst of regaining his composure. The Dr. came in to show him the pics and to let him know that all is well. Nothing abnormal found.
The gentleman then ask his doc for a written note to give to his wife telling her that his head is truly not up there.  ;) 

I have had two never again Brother in law walked in and never left the hospital something very wrong happened they killed him. Was his third one . Malpractice suite in progress. Sad day for my family.

William52 said:
I have had two never again Brother in law walked in and never left the hospital something very wrong happened they killed him. Was his third one . Malpractice suite in progress. Sad day for my family.

Lots of details missing there William.  Hope your post does not discourage anyone from having this most valuable medical procedure performed.  Any invasive procedure does have risks but this one is not that high.

This was the funniest thread I've ever had the pleasure of reading!

I have been on the forum for a little over a year now and have followed many of the posts y'all have made not really knowing how old many of you were. I assumed most to be in their 40's as the majority of campers I run into are around that age, I'm typically the old man in the campground! I was pleasantly surprised to learn most of you are around my age.

I recognize that while the procedure may be life saving, at my age (70) that one ain't ever gonna happen... :-[ Just got through my first bout with Kidney stones and, well, pray there is never a second. :'(

Gentlemen/ladies be well and best of health to y'all! Still laughing and wife thinks I'm nuts...

Keith

My DH, known for his really sick sense of humor, has had 2 of them now. Both times, as he was finishing up, he said to the techs, "That was fun, can I come back next week?"  :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom