Hookups? We don't need no steeenking hookups!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Five Carmanah (GoPower) 160 watt panels for 800W total
Morningstar Tristar 60 amp MPPT controller
Morningstar RM1 monitor

8)

Attachments

• solar2.jpg
    solar2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 185
Isn't Solar great? When I started full timing my solar wasn't ready to go yet, still had some work to do. After getting to our boondocking spot outside of Randsburg, CA. my neighbor from 200' away came over to see what I was working on, Solar Panels I sez, and he said Ah, too much trouble and money. Two days latter I completed my wiring and solar is working great. The neighbor still running genny four hours a day and gas $4+ a gallon, me sitting outside in my chair enjoying the silence.
Six days latter he is over again asking if I can teach him about solar! Soon he was a convert.

If you boondock alot solar is great.

Happy Prospector said:
If you boondock alot solar is great.

Although I haven't boondocked at all in this rig, did a small amount two rigs ago in a Class C, inevitably waking up cold to a dead battery.

We absolutely prefer getting away from commercial campgrounds and have done some dry camping in this rig, which involved 3-4 hours of genset per day. As I read the forum ("Where are you boondocking?") and elsewhere I am pumped to get out to some of these out of the way beautiful places.

Unfortunately I seen to.maney people dump.their tanks srt8 onto the ground....... Gray water not so bad.  But went to my fraverat boondocksing spot once, only to discover the last camper dumped his black tank into the sight befor he left.  Really. At least drive up the road a little

robertusa123 said:
the last camper dumped his black tank into the sight befor he left. 

The same people that throw their garbage out the window...

... and refuse to pick up after their pets.  Although this is literally the proverbial drop in a bucket compared to dumping a black tank.

That is a thing of beauty Scott!!  Well done and congratulations!!

Also, possibly the most beautiful coach I have ever seen!!  ;)

JFNM said:
Also, possibly the most beautiful coach I have ever seen!!  ;)

Or a close second anyway  :D You probably say that to all the girls, I mean DS owners  ;)

Really glad I went with the MPPT controller. I've seen a peak of 55 amps so far, better than I think it would have done with PWM.

Tilt/untilt takes 10-15 minutes so probably do it only when parked for a couple days or more. Opted to not go with quick disconnects as a slight theft deterrent (which I'd never considered but I guess is now a thing  :mad:)

And on the theft issue called Geico thinking I would hear the panels weren't covered but they clearly were very up to speed on solar. Just wanted to know how many panels and total cost for system - fully covered. But they do need to know in advance that it's been installed.

Going to a pre-planned full hookup spot for a quick trip this weekend. I'll have to see if I can get a credit for electricity!  ;)

:)

You may find this useful.  I used the convection oven, on batteries/inverter, to do some baking last week. I baked for one hour at 350 degrees mid-afternoon. This time of year, I have an excess of solar so batteries were 100% when I started and panels were cranking out lots of power. If memory serves, the batts were down about 5% when I was done. I was very happy with that result!

JFNM said:
:)

You may find this useful.  I used the convection oven, on batteries/inverter, to do some baking last week. I baked for one hour at 350 degrees mid-afternoon. the batts were down about 5% when I was done.

Wow! Actually that is useful. I've never used the convection, just the gas oven (which although I'm old school and would feel naked without it, it honestly doesn't do a good job with some types of short, higher temp baking). I need to give the convection oven a try.

Was hoping to test the solar this weekend and not use shore power, but temps around 90 (Bisbee) so looks like AC. Briefly considered, "Honey, can't use the AC I'm testing the solar" but guessing trip might suddenly get shorter than it already is  ::)

Scott, do you have gas and convection ovens???  I only have the convection and sure wish it were gas instead (because of the electricity consumption).

JFNM said:
Scott, do you have gas and convection ovens??? 

JD, yes I do. It was a prerequisite (along with booth dinette) when I was shopping. Harder and harder to find but I couldn't live without it.

It really is both useful and funny you brought it up, because it now gives me a way to manage power between electric and gas. Plus I'm sure it will do a better job in some cases (like my buttermilk biscuits ;D) I have 2 ovens in the sticks house and now realize I have two in the coach too! I totally zoned that I even had it.  ::)

John From Detroit said:
Oh yes you do need Stinking hookup.. Else your wast tanks overflow :)... (Sorry could not resist).

Nah, he could be related to that guy I pulled up behind at the dump station on my last trip..... just got it close to the hole and opened the valve.  No hose necessary.  Would have been not much worse without the dump station

Kevin Means said:
Looks great Scott! Welcome to the world of solar.

Kev

Thanks Kev. KOFA here we come! (Well... maybe when it cools down this fall)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom