email client for W-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

The consensus was that my old laptop was not really upgrade-able. Too little memory and too little hard drive capacity.  So I have a new laptop with lots of RAM and drive space -- and Windows 10.

My old email was Windows Live Mail and I was happy with it, especially the ability to add any number of additional folders of any name I chose. It also handled all aspects of email from all of my various Mindspring (Earthlink), ATT, Gmail, Hotmail accounts.

As far as I've been able to determine, Windows 10 mail lacks any features except to receive and send mail and, in the case of Mindspring/earthlink, not even send email.  I've installed, deleted and reinstalled these accounts to no avail.  I even manually input the Mindspring info and it still won't send email.

I've downloaded the Mozilla Thunderbird install file, but thought I'd check with the Forum before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the usual fine help!

Don

Been using Thunderbird for years, through multiple versions of Windows, including W10. Have numerous email accounts accessed via TB, including gmail accounts. I wouldn't screw around with W-mail.

I, too, have been very pleased with the versatility and usability of Thunderbird, with its associated calendar (Lightning) for quite a few years.

One thing to note is that permissions can often be a problem in Win 10, something not very familiar to users of early Win versions. They've also made administration better some way, but tougher in others. So some things need a while to get used to/learn about.

Aye Larry, I ran into a permissions issue in W10 recently when I needed to simply update/replace a printer driver. It took a frustrating while to get around it.

Thunderbird is an excellent email client. It handles POP and IMAP.

I too took a stab at Windows Mail in W10, even though I've been a Thunderbird user for a few years. Thought to give it a whirl and see what they had done in recent years.  Could not get some of my non-Microsoft email accounts to work properly in Windows Mail and gave up in frustration. The function was not so compelling that I was willing to thrash it into submission, not when I had T-bird available and working fine.  I'm not real hot on Thunderbird either, but at least stuff works without major battles.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I too took a stab at Windows Mail in W10, even though I've been a Thunderbird user for a few years. Thought to give it a whirl and see what they had done in recent years.  Could not get some of my non-Microsoft email accounts to work properly in Windows Mail and gave up in frustration. The function was not so compelling that I was willing to thrash it into submission, not when I had T-bird available and working fine.  I'm not real hot on Thunderbird either, but at least stuff works without major battles.
Hmmm.  I haven't had any difficulty with Win Live Mail on Win 10 and I don't even have a Microsoft email account.  What were the problems you encountered, out of curiosity?

I'm still using Eudora, even though it is a dinosaur, and no longer supported.  But, it still works, even on Windows 10, and you can still download it online.  You can even download the key to get rid of the ads area.  Back in the day, Eudora was free if you agreed to have an ad window open. Since it is "obsolete", there are no longer ads, but the window is still there.  With the secret code, you can get rid of the ad window.  I've never found an email program that I like better.

Thunderbird still works, but I use WEB MAIL.. That way I can read and/or delete on this computer, the other computer, yet another comptuer, my Phone, my Tablet, a Library computer... Just about anything hooked to the web capable of displaying text and graphics.

And one more thing.. Malware, which I've had several types sent to me in E-mail...... Well,,, It has a tendency to get caught by the industrial mal-ware filters at the web hosts (two of them) and if you try to download it there is about 20 levels of "Do you really want to do this?" prompts... I finally gave up (Was planing on testing my local filters).

Sorry for the delayed response but we've been "on the road" and I've had no time to work on this. The last few days have brought home to me how very few emails I receive from friends and family and how many I receive from companies with which we do business. Also, there's very little that really needs a timely response.

First, a big thank you to you all for taking the time and making the effort to try to help me.  It is much appreciated!

On following through on your suggestions I wound up far afield and was amazed at the number of folks with the same problem with W-10 and their animosity toward Microsoft as a result.

Bottom line is I found that I could continue to use Windows Live Mail by downloading the Windows Essentials installer and electing to select for installation only Live Mail (actually, deselecting the other applications so as not to cause other conflicts with W-10).  Once the LM was installed I just needed to enter the info for my email accounts.  I elected to enter the info manually so it matched up exactly with what was on my former laptop because I knew that worked -- and it did.  Everything is going smoothly!

I suspect that this may be a fairly short term solution as a poster on another forum posted that he had been informed by a Microsoft tech who was helping him that "they" would be bringing out "major improvements to W-10 in the next six months that might impact his ability to use Live Mail or any other email client with W-10".  We'll see.

The only remaining unsolved problem is getting my files of all the trip emails I've sent to friends and family over the past 8 years off of the Live Mail account on my former laptop and on to the Live Mail account on this computer, or, preferably, just on to a back up external drive.  So far, the export and import functions are not working for me to get this done.

Why not change to Thunderbird as most suggested? The answer to that may lie in the fact that DW and I have been married for going on 53 years.  :)

Thanks again.

Don

Why not change to Thunderbird as most suggested? The answer to that may lie in the fact that DW and I have been married for going on 53 years.  :)

So you're switching to PelicanMail client sometime soon?  ::) :eek: ;D

Well, DOH!  After spending altogether way too much time trying to save or export/import some of my file folders on the former computer Windows Live Mail, I found that there is a simple drag and drop procedure that works just fine.

First, set up and open a file folder on the external drive.  Next open the WLM folder containing the files you want to save or back up or move, select all of the files (or just the ones you want, if not all), then drag and drop the selected files in the folder on the external drive. Done.

This procedure can be reversed to establish a file folder for them on your new computer's WLM or other email client.

As to DW's thoughts on my finding the simple easy way last, I don't know.  She never, or at least very seldom, ridicules or laughs at my wayward efforts. :)

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!

Don

Back
Top Bottom