everyday vehicle choice with plan for towing a trailer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albireo13

Hi,
  We are downsizing our house and plan to get a trailer in the next 2 years.  I am now in a position to buy a new (used) vehicle.  My Honda Accord is going away soon  ( next month).  I want something that can tow a modest travel trailer ... maybe 20' long.  It will be for my wife and I.

My dillemma is that whatever I buy will likely be my everyday/commuting vehicle as well.  My wife and I have separate jobs, no mass transit, and really only want to keep and maintain 2 vehicles.

I'm thinking a 3/4 ton pickup or a beefy SUV.  Whatever I get will get crappy gas mileage but, I'm willing to deal with that.

Any suggestions ???  I'd love to hear what other folks have settled on.

Thx,
Rob

If you will be pulling a smaller trailer, many F-150/1500 series pick-ups will work nicely for you. You may be surprised at the MPG you get with them. Much better that the F-250/2500's. The thing to do is buy the trailer first and then get a truck that can pull it safely. There are folks here that will help you with the towing/payload numbers if you are unsure. Do not listen to the rv or truck salespeople as to what can be towed by what and what the truck can pull. Many don't know how to correctly figure out what is in the limits and what is not, along with some that will flat out lie to you to make a sale.

For that size travel trailer a half-ton pickup with a extended or crew cab makes sense, e.g. one of the Ford Ecoboost F150 models or a similar Chevy/GMC/Ram model. Plenty of creature comfort and decent fuel economy too. The alternative is a large SUV, e.g. a Yukon. More car-like is looks, but often not even as good on mpg or on towing capability.

When you say "20 ft", I'm assuming you mean the living area rather than overall length (the overall will be 4-5 ft greater).  A trailer that size is probably 7500-8500 lbs GVWR.

I would advise a 3/4 ton diesel. The towing capacity is way better, the fuel mileage is better especially when towing, and then the size of the TT is not an issue.  If you are the type that keeps your vehicles for a long time, it makes sense. If you turn them over often, then it's not worth the investment.  Used ones still command a higher price than a gasser, but there is a reason for that.

SargeW said:
I would advise a 3/4 ton diesel. The towing capacity is way better, the fuel mileage is better especially when towing, and then the size of the TT is not an issue.  If you are the type that keeps your vehicles for a long time, it makes sense. If you turn them over often, then it's not worth the investment.  Used ones still command a higher price than a gasser, but there is a reason for that.

I agree.

For what you're planning on doing, most modern half tons will work fine....however, I'm betting you want more space VERY soon.  Why not buy beefier truck to begin with rather than doing it twice?  The new(er) diesels will return north of 20 mpg unloaded on the highway, and they are absolute beasts for towing power.  Get something 2-3 years old that has been well maintained and never look back. 

My second car is a 1977 International Scout-- anything late model I buy will get *awesome* fuel economy compared to that thing so bad mileage just depends on your frame of reference ;D

Buying a diesel for unloaded fuel economy is dumb.  You won't ever, over any reasonable number of miles or years, save enough in fuel to pay for the difference in price or maintenance.

SargeW said:
I would advise a 3/4 ton diesel. The towing capacity is way better, the fuel mileage is better especially when towing, and then the size of the TT is not an issue. 

Frizlefrak said:
I agree.  For what you're planning on doing, most modern half tons will work fine....however, I'm betting you want more space VERY soon.  Why not buy beefier truck to begin with rather than doing it twice?  The new(er) diesels will return north of 20 mpg unloaded on the highway, and they are absolute beasts for towing power.  Get something 2-3 years old that has been well maintained and never look back.

EXACTLY what they said.  If you decide to opt out of the diesel option, still go with a 3/4 or 1 ton. 8)

First, nobody ever complained about having too much truck to pull the camper!!

Based on Gary's GVWR estimate, plus some extra space, let's assume a 9,000# TT with a 1,000# tongue wt.

In order to pull this safely and comfortably, your tow vehicle MUST have a Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of at least:

1,000# TW  + 80# for the hitch  +  300# ???? for you and DW  + 200# other cargo in the tow vehicle  =  1580#

Correct these numbers to your more accurate estimates.

The CCC of every vehicle built in the last 10+ years is listed on a yellow label on the driver door B pillar.  When you go vehicle shopping, check this label first.  If it does not exceed your needed CCC. close the door and keep looking.  The cab style and bed length has a major effect on CCC, as does the trim level (how many pounds of options).  Just because one truck is too small may not mean none of that model will work.

You can surely find a large SUV or ? ton truck to handle this load.  HOWEVER, as others have so correctly stated, a ? ton truck will really limit your ability to get a larger TT without also getting a bigger truck!

MMW said:
Buying a diesel for unloaded fuel economy is dumb.  You won't ever, over any reasonable number of miles or years, save enough in fuel to pay for the difference in price or maintenance.

No, most of us buy a diesel because we tow heavy things up and down steep hills, and the oil burner has the power to get that job done nicely.  Unloaded fuel economy is just icing on the cake.  :)

I had promised my old Accord to my son, in June so ... I either replace it with  another commuter box or jump for the tow vehicle tight now.
While we may not buy our TT for another 2-3 years, we are talking of renting one next summer to try it out.  Therefore, I'll need the truck within a year anyway.

I think the 3/4 ton truck is the way to go ... diesel or gas, TBD.

Any models to recommend?  The options make my mind spin.

Thx

Sounds like you are going the right way with the 3/4.  As for models I won't get into that.  Everyone has their favorite for their own reasons.  Mine is in my signature.

I have driven a gas truck since 1984 be it a Ranger or F-150.  I went to the diesel and I can't see EVER owning anything other than diesel again.  Really kicking myself for not going this route sooner.  Mileage is better than my 2004 F-150 empty and pulling.  Might cost more in maintenance but that is worth it.  The extra cost up front you WILL get back when you resell.  Look at what used diesel trucks are going for.

Good luck in your research.  I have found RV'ing to be all about the journey and not the destination.  Research is just the start of the journey.

Elkhounds said:
Sounds like you are going the right way with the 3/4.  As for models I won't get into that.  Everyone has their favorite for their own reasons.  Mine is in my signature.

I have driven a gas truck since 1984 be it a Ranger or F-150.  I went to the diesel and I can't see EVER owning anything other than diesel again.  Really kicking myself for not going this route sooner.  Mileage is better than my 2004 F-150 empty and pulling.  Might cost more in maintenance but that is worth it.  The extra cost up front you WILL get back when you resell.  Look at what used diesel trucks are going for.

Good luck in your research.  I have found RV'ing to be all about the journey and not the destination.  Research is just the start of the journey.

i have to agree and i have both a 1500 gas and a 3500 diesel

Your future decision(s) on trailer size will obviously be a deciding factor on what truck you buy now.  What makes you think of a 20-foot trailer option?

albireo13 said:
Any models to recommend?  The options make my mind spin.

Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Toyota is a debate that will never be settled.  So just find something you like, you can afford, has options you want, and buy it.  ;)  Start shopping Craigslist and find something gently used, and you'll save a nice piece of coin there too.  Most guys take pretty good care of their newer trucks, unless they are vehicles in a commercial service fleet that are REALLY "used" to their capacity every day (think: construction).

Which truck??  Toyota does not make a ? ton.

Drive all three and get the one your wife likes.

Seriously, what options MUST be on the truck?  Even basic lines have A/C, but may lack power locks or windows.  Do you want remote keyless entry?  Integrated trailer brake controller?  Cruise?  Dual zone Auto Climate control?  Leather seats?

Often, YOUR option requirements define the trim line.  Personally, the Dual Zone climate control was a requirement, so in the Ford line, that means Lariat trim or higher.  If you want power seats, but do not like leather seats  or need auto climate control, then a XLT may fit the bill.

There are some specific year and manufacturer engine models to stay away from. I don't know specifics as I'm not in research mode for a diesel. You will see responses here on makes and models to avoid or you can go look at specific make truck forums for more detailed info on the hows and whys you should avoid certain ones as well as identify a particular engine. An unscrupulous seller may play dumb if they know the engine has a bad reputation.

Bill

I have a 2013 GMC 1500 with a 5.3 and a six speed, I'm getting an average 15.3 MPG, My Buddy has a 2013 Chevy 2500 with a Duramax/Allison and is getting an average 22.4 MPG, so It's pretty obvious which is the better choice. My GMC has seen 3 MPG pulling My 27' TT through Arkansas, His Truck doesn't even know the trailer is back there LOL, My next truck will be a Duramax No question about it.

kennyshark said:
I have a 2013 GMC 1500 with a 5.3 and a six speed, I'm getting an average 15.3 MPG, My Buddy has a 2013 Chevy 2500 with a Duramax/Allison and is getting an average 22.4 MPG, so It's pretty obvious which is the better choice. My GMC has seen 3 MPG pulling My 27' TT through Arkansas, His Truck doesn't even know the trailer is back there LOL, My next truck will be a Duramax No question about it.

I wonder what he's burning to get over 22 mpg? ::) I have a 2014 that gets about 15-17 around town and on the freeway. When I'm pulling my 5th I get from 12-13 mpg. Over 20 is unheard of. We have 4 GMC/Chevy Duramax trucks in my neighborhood and not one gets anything close to that. I wouldn't want Albrieo13 to be mislead with that info.
If anyone else is getting that milage, please let me know how your doing it.
As far as pulling power.......no doubt the Duramax will pull my trailer up mountain roads with little effort.
3/4 to 1 ton would be a good choice with the Duramax. That 20' trailer will turning to a 34' 5th and the half ton will never work.

Stan

I wonder what he's burning to get over 22 mpg? ::) I have a 2014 that gets about 15-17 around town and on the freeway. When I'm pulling my 5th I get from 12-13 mpg. Over 20 is unheard of.

in the mountains i get 10-11 mpg

If anyone else is getting that milage, please let me know how your doing it.
As far as pulling power.......no doubt the Duramax will pull my trailer up mountain roads with little effort.
3/4 to 1 ton would be a good choice with the Duramax. That 20' trailer will turning to a 34' 5th and the half ton will never work.

i agree with Stan

That's not too far fetched actually. I have a Ram 2500 SRW long bed diesel, and on the highway at 65 MPH 20 - 22 MPG is normal. Add around town and it drops to 17 - 18.  I pulled a 12,000# fiver with it for a while and it dropped to an average of 10 mpg.

Those numbers, and everyone else's are heavily dependent on how you drive it. Some guys are not happy unless they are doing 75 - 80 mph and are in front of everyone else.  I am a 65 mph cruise control  driver in the #2 lane. Never in a hurry. After all, speed is the biggest killer of mpg.

As a full time mechanic of both gas and diesel cars trucks and semis I always suggest steering clear of diesel trucks unless you have deep pockets . The average repair cost for any given diesel that walked through the last dealer shop I worked in was 3500 dollars. I have been trained and spent a lot of time working on a wide assortment of Diesel engines. They're more expensive to buy , much much more expensive to maintain and a breakdown can be more than most can handle . For example injectors for most diesel trucks run anywhere from 1500-2500 in parts alone . A turbo is over 1000... Everything is expensive and diesel work is 100-150 an hour at any given shop out there these days. The last 6.0 power stroke I did head studs , updated oil cooler , bulletproof egr cooler , updated stand pipes , any and everything that can and does normally go wrong and with parts and machine work had over 4000 in parts just to be ready for the road again . On the other hand today's gas engines from just about every manufactured if cared for go well into the 200's and often 300,000 miles plus before requiring replacement or rebuild . A rebuild of a gas engine or replacement will cost a small fraction of what a Diesel engine does . If you're hauling heavy loads daily or maybe weekly up a lot of hills or for business a diesel may be nicer for
You . However any of today's 3/4 ton gas engines will do the job just fine . A majority of people today think they need a diesel to pull a car trailer and it's not true at all . Lastly automatic transmission rebuilds for a diesel that is going to be pulling is often 4-5,000 where as a gas engine transmission likely can be had for half that if you shop around . You have to decide if buying diesel is worth it to you , to me no way .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom