Recommended 12V compressors for re-inflating tires after air-down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Planning on a little lightweight four wheeling (full blown amateur compared to most of you I imagine, as we're talking Grand Cherokee ::) ). Occasionally though it will probably be a good idea to air down. Looking for recommendations for a portable compressor to re-inflate. The 12V compressors I've used in the past have been very low volume and had very short duty cycles. Many of them require long cool down after only 5-10 minutes of use - won't work too well trying to re-inflate four SUV tires.

Thx

Viair makes very good 12V compressors. The 400P that I have isn't top of the line, but its just takes a few minutes to pump the tires back up, and clips directly to the battery. I've seen a lot of them for off-road use.

Harbor Freight has a pair of high capacity 12 volt air compressors.  I have this one and it works very well for occasional use.  Inflation speed is similar to the Vair compressors.

It will easily re-inflate the 4 tires on my Bronco II without complaint, but be sure the engine is idling while you're using it.  At 20-30 amps current draw it doesn't take long to drain a typical starting battery if the engine isn't running.

If your mechanically fab qualified add a York OBA setup. I had one on my wag. Filled ten rigs 37+ tires from 8#to 35# in about 1.5 hrs. Compressor never got warm. 40 tires!

I've got one of the Harbor Freight Units like the one Lou has.  I've used it mostly for re-inflating tires after coming off a rocky trail where I've deflated the tires to improve the ride of my truck.  Its Ok, however it does warm up and the thermal protection will shut it down after 15 minutes or so.  I turn it off and wait 10 minutes or so and it'll go again.  It does the job.  I only use it a few times a year and its 6 years old. 

Nomadb1 said:
If your mechanically fab qualified add a York OBA setup. I had one on my wag. Filled ten rigs 37+ tires from 8#to 35# in about 1.5 hrs. Compressor never got warm. 40 tires!

Well... I think I'm fab but others may disagree. Looked up the York OBA setup, cool but way more than I need

BigLarry said:
I've got one of the Harbor Freight Units like the one Lou has.  It does the job.  I only use it a few times a year and its 6 years old. 

This seems like the way to go for now. If I ever get a real Jeep something more serious will be in order

Sun2Retire said:
Well... I think I'm fab but others may disagree. Looked up the York OBA setup, cool but way more than I need

This seems like the way to go for now. If I ever get a real Jeep something more serious will be in order

We use a VIAIR 400p Auto with success on our two Grand Cherokees. Don't underestimate the capability of a GC especially with the QDII... hood's up to add a little PS fluid in the 2nd pic 8)

Attachments

• Wcaves2low.jpg
    Wcaves2low.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 32
  • wc rocks.jpg
    wc rocks.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 26
Nice pic! That sure looks like fun!

I second the viair. I've know quite a few happy customers of theirs.  Not sure the specifics on it but it was the rage a while back to use compressed co2. Tank n regulator setup, filled a lot of tires and could run pneumatic tools too.

Nomadb1 said:
Nice pic! That sure looks like fun!

I second the viair. I've know quite a few happy customers of theirs.  Not sure the specifics on it but it was the rage a while back to use compressed co2. Tank n regulator setup, filled a lot of tires and could run pneumatic tools too.

Thanks! We wheel with a guy that has the c02 setup (forget the brand name) and it works well for tools as you mention and resetting beads when needed. Takes up a little more space and is more than we need currently.

Edit: found it! http://powertank.com/

Back
Top Bottom