Thetford Aqua Magic IV blade seal replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobmws

The blade and or blade seal will not hold water for more than a few minutes. Thetford has no repair manual for this model online. I've searched here and Google but can't fund a definitive answer about replacing the seal. It appears from some comments it can be done by removing the entire commode, pushing the blade aside and pulling the seal without disassembling the entire unit.
Can anyone verify this?
I'm value driven, would rather spend $15 on seals than $130 or so on replacing the entire unit. :)

I just found a lot of site from google on how to replace the seal on your toilet. There was even a link for a utube  video on how to. You may want to go back a check again.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

The mechanical assembly of these units is straight forward. The top half or the bowl secured by four 1/2 hex nuts that are visible after removing the plastic bowl cover. The bowl must be disassembled to expose/remove this blade seal. There is no other way to replace the seal. The blade itself requires further disassembly (lower half) removing the toilet pedestal to access the blade, water timing valve and linkages and replacing the floor seal/gasket. It does take some preparation but it will only consume a couple hours.

YOUTUBE has several videos that are as good as Thetford's documentation.

It should be done correctly because it's actually important. My cost was <$40.

followed the youtube instructions, replaced my seal, has worked fine since. Not a bad job

Rene T said:
Send us the link if it works out for you.

This is the video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZS3ipEqqcg
I got the seals today from the local RV shop, actually less than Amazon!
Gonna try to work on this tomorrow,I'll snap some pics as I go, maybe try a video!

To answer my original question, YES, one can replace the blade seal without totally disassembling the commode as the video above shows.
First pic shows the blade closed on the seal, looking in from the bottom.
2nd pic is the same view with the blade open.
3rd pic, I used a spring clamp to hold the blade open so I could work from the bottom.
4th pic, there is enough room to reach in from the bottom and pull the seal out, the blade will move about 1/2" away from the seal when you pull it and compress the spring.
5th pic, new seal on left, old on right. Note the raised lip on the new seal as opposed to the flat surface on the old seal. Probably original, 16 years old!
6th pic, new seal installed. Be sure to work around it 2-3 times pushing it into place.
The was a slight ridge between the seal area and the center of the blade. While the seal was out I dressed the blade surface with some 800 grit wet/dry paper.
Success, a couple hours time, $12.82 in parts, no more leak into the tank.  ;D

Attachments

• CIMG0761.JPG
    CIMG0761.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 32
  • CIMG0762.JPG
    CIMG0762.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 29
  • CIMG0763.JPG
    CIMG0763.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 32
  • CIMG0765.JPG
    CIMG0765.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG0767.JPG
    CIMG0767.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG0769.JPG
    CIMG0769.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H668k0B_vXc

OK, the seal started leaking, so I started looking. I found the youtube video above and discovered that the seal can be replaced without taking out the toilet, so I ordered the seal from Amazon (of course), and following the example set by the video, replaced the seal in about 30 minutes without having to remove the toilet. It was really simple, and now the toilet holds water again. Yay!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom