Tip on Automotion Shade repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rfguy

I recently had a problem with my Automotion motorized shade.  It has a motorized day shade and night shade.  The day shade problem started with it moving down fine but the up switch would move the shade about a 1/2" then stop.  Therefore to get the shade up enough to drive required numerous switch operations.  Eventually the down function had same problem.

With a call to the factory I was told the motor was bad and they could not sell me a replacement.  A search of the forums indicated this is a very common failure with this shade.  There are some write-ups on using a modified motor available from another vendor for around $100.  I disassembled mine to find out that the reason this is happening is due to high motor current (>2 amps).  Turns out there is an electronic circuit that switches off motor voltage when it draws excessive current.  This circuit is within the motor tube.  I have found the fault is with the motor itself and it can be repaired just by removing the motor from the drive gear end take it apart and clean up the brushes and commutator.  I have done this.  It takes less than 2 hours (once you get the shade assembly out of the MH).  After the repair the current draw is less than 400mA.  If you have one that needs repair and need help send me a message.

I've got this exact problem.  I've taken the shade down, but I can't figure out how to get to the motor so I can clean it.  Any help would be appreciated.

I recently had a problem with my Automotion motorized shade. It has a motorized day shade and night shade. The day shade problem started with it moving down fine but the up switch would move the shade about a 1/2" then stop. Therefore to get the shade up enough to drive required numerous switch operations. Eventually the down function had same problem.

With a call to the factory I was told the motor was bad and they could not sell me a replacement. A search of the forums indicated this is a very common failure with this shade. There are some write-ups on using a modified motor available from another vendor for around $100. I disassembled mine to find out that the reason this is happening is due to high motor current (>2 amps). Turns out there is an electronic circuit that switches off motor voltage when it draws excessive current. This circuit is within the motor tube. I have found the fault is with the motor itself and it can be repaired just by removing the motor from the drive gear end take it apart and clean up the brushes and commutator. I have done this. It takes less than 2 hours (once you get the shade assembly out of the MH). After the repair the current draw is less than 400mA. If you have one that needs repair and need help send me a message.
I have a 2014 Tiffen Phaeton 40 QBH with the same problem of the Automation Solar Shade going down but not back up. Any help is appreciated.

I have a 2013 Tiffin 33AA with the same problem. Tiffin says it is very common, and my part number is Auto Motion EL-4280P-1230-AMS. They are out of stock everywhere, so I would like to repair mine. I will try this, thank you. Any other advice you have RFGuy, or anyone else who has tried to clean their up, is much appreciated!

Mine is intermittant. It will move about one inch for each push on the switch. I am going to take it out and try this repair. It makes sense to me.

I have mine removed but can't seem to get the actual little electric motor out of the tube.

I have a 2013 Tiffin 33AA with the same problem. Tiffin says it is very common, and my part number is Auto Motion EL-4280P-1230-AMS. They are out of stock everywhere, so I would like to repair mine. I will try this, thank you. Any other advice you have RFGuy, or anyone else who has tried to clean their up, is much appreciated!
I have mine all apart but can't get the motor out of tube. I mean the small dc motor that is inside the drive tube. I found a new one at Brad and Hall but with shipping it is 175.00. crazy!

I have mine all apart but can't get the motor out of tube. I mean the small dc motor that is inside the drive tube. I found a new one at Brad and Hall but with shipping it is 175.00. crazy!
Tiffin sells them for $130, but they say they will not have them until the end of August. No one has them in stock it seems. I found one other site which has them, $230.

chiefk, There may be a small screw holding the motor in the tube that is under the shade material. Unroll the shade and see if you cna find a small detent in the tube. make a small cut in the shade material and ther should be a screw there. Once that is removed, you should be able to remove the motor. Check this video at the 2:00 minute point.

jag60mk2 - THANK YOU for the video. I am going to attack mine this weekend, but knowing where the "hidden" screw is will really be a help!

Michael.

jag60mk2 - THANK YOU for the video. I am going to attack mine this weekend, but knowing where the "hidden" screw is will really be a help!

Michael.
Michael,
I pulled mine apart tonight, hoping I could fix the motor. I guess if I had a REALLY good soldering iron and some excellent soldering skills, i could fix it, but I have neither! :0 : )
It turns out that the shorting ring for the fields has come unsoldered from the connections in the motor. SO, I'll have to order a new one.
The screw holding the motor in the tube was a square drive, smaller than a #1. I managed to get it out wit a #1 phillips head bit in my Milwaukee bits.
Matt

To All!
I did not have to cut the fabric on my night shade. I just rolled it all the way out and the set screw was vivsible. You might try that first on yours, before cutting.
Matt

I recently had a problem with my Automotion motorized shade. It has a motorized day shade and night shade. The day shade problem started with it moving down fine but the up switch would move the shade about a 1/2" then stop. Therefore to get the shade up enough to drive required numerous switch operations. Eventually the down function had same problem.

With a call to the factory I was told the motor was bad and they could not sell me a replacement. A search of the forums indicated this is a very common failure with this shade. There are some write-ups on using a modified motor available from another vendor for around $100. I disassembled mine to find out that the reason this is happening is due to high motor current (>2 amps). Turns out there is an electronic circuit that switches off motor voltage when it draws excessive current. This circuit is within the motor tube. I have found the fault is with the motor itself and it can be repaired just by removing the motor from the drive gear end take it apart and clean up the brushes and commutator. I have done this. It takes less than 2 hours (once you get the shade assembly out of the MH). After the repair the current draw is less than 400mA. If you have one that needs repair and need help send me a message.
I am interested in repairing the same motor. Can you send me more details?

Back
Top Bottom