EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Why are KOAs so expensive?  (Read 6260 times)

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
Re: Why are KOAs so expensive?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 06:54:43 AM »
In addition to not needing the "Added Value" KOA purports to bring to the table I also have a long memory when it comes to KOA'S principals efforts to get local and state governments to ban overnight parking at Wal Mart and other similar businesses.

That said we have spent the first three nights on the road at KOA'S. ::)

Good point...
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

docj

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2016, 06:59:57 AM »
We've never looked for frequent camper points, and have no idea how we'd collect them.

If you own a KOA Value Card (10% discount card) you already have an account whether or not you realize it; I think it accrues points even though you didn't know about it.   Go to KOA.com and set it up and you may be pleasantly surprised how many points you already have.   We do as you describe, we stay at parks if they're on our way and if they are reasonably well rated.  Usually that means a few KOAs meet that description every year for us and from the points I usually get $25-50 back.

FWIW, the KOA parks can access your points from their computers and can tell you how many you have.  If you want to use the points to pay for part of a stay you just tell them when you are checking in.

Joel
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

docj

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 07:21:33 AM »
We're not that "kind of RVer"

I used that term not to be pejorative but because I know there is a group of RVers who pride themselves on how little they spend per night on the road.  Some are driven by finances and others simply view it "as a challenge".  That's fine for those who wish to travel that way; it's simply not for us.  We prefer to pay for reasonably attractive, safe surroundings and these days our experience is that that will cost ~$30-40/night (before tax).
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 07:32:59 AM »
Having been active as an owner of a Walmart parking RV discussion group for a number of years, I have never found or seen any evidence that KOA corporate has been actively involved in any campaign to ban parking lot overnighting. Individually owned KOA parks, such as the one in Billings, MT, have been so involved, but in Billings in particular, a KOA corporate vice-president actually served on the ad-hoc committee that recommended overturning the existing ban, replacing it instead with an 8 hour stay limit. I expect other privately owned KOA parks have also pressed for bans in their own areas, as do some other park owners, but KOA corporate has generally taken the position when asked, that parking lot overnighters are not the market they're trying to attract, preferring instead the more profitable longer term renters. I haven't looked for them lately, but some of the Billings documents were available at one time in the Walmart parking Yahoo group files.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »
The ultimate in low cost overnights can always be found at the countries largest campground chain, Walmart.

I've never had the desire to camp overnight at WalMart. I've heard/read all the arguments for why I should, and why folks don't save money after shopping in the store, but they're not for us. OTOH we have a number of friends, including folks who aren't short of $$$, who frequent them; Usually that's on their cross-country trips, when they just want to get from point A to point B in a hurry and need to catch a few ZZZs.

Different strokes for different folks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:43:30 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
I've never had the desire to camp overnight at WalMart. I've heard/read all the arguments for why I should, and why folks don't save money after shopping in the store, but they're not for us. OTOH we have a number of friends, including folks who aren't short of $$$, who frequent them; Usually that's on their cross-country trips, when they just want to get from point A to point B in a hurry and need to catch a few ZZZs.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd very much agree with not having a desire to go on a 'Walmart camping trip'... However have many times appreciated that there are so many Walmarts directly off the interstates with big parking lots, with lot's of security cameras and that they don't go out of their way to give people the boot when they need a place to stop when the eyes start closing or the weather makes travel difficult!!!
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 09:41:07 AM »
We're not that "kind of RVer", and stay at CGs that are most convenient, KOA or otherwise, and don't shop on price, with or without a discount card. OTOH we don't turn down a PA or other discount if a park offers it. We've never looked for frequent camper points, and have no idea how we'd collect them.

FWIW most of our overnight CG stays are while in transit, and convenience & safety are our main requirements.

If I can quote your response Tom, we feel exactly the same way.  The only KOAs we have stayed in during our travels in the past two years are former KOAs.  Two of those owners told us they just could not afford to maintain the franchise fees required and felt the traveling public would respond better to lower rates (which they said they did).  One other former KOA said they were almost forced to change when another RV campground built less than 1/4 mile away, offered the same amenities at a significantly lower price and the place was well maintained.  Judging from the comments above that the owners set their own rates I think that would explain why some are out of line.  In any case, different strokes for different folks.  Happy traveling.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Barryn514

• ---
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »
Living in southern Ca, most all CG are not cheap compared to other parts of the country. If we just want to get away for the week-end, there is a KOA not too far from where we live and I think it was rated 3 in the nation on 2012. We pay approx 65.00 per night because this KAO never has a problem getting people to stay there.

With that being said, I have been to a few KOA that I wouldn't stay in if the rate was 35.00 per night. We do have the value card and a lot of time, when they give you your receipt it will say at the bottom, next time you come back, bring in the receipt and they will give you another $10.00 off your stay.
2013 Fleetwood Bounder
El Cajon, CA

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »
With the discount I find them about the same as a comparable RV Park with similar amenities.  Then get the rewards points for the occasional free night.

Sure, you can always find cheaper parks, with the meth cookers and long term welfare residents, and the sewer hookups draining to an open cesspool and a third world electrical system.  We try to avoid those parks.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »
With the discount I find them about the same as a comparable RV Park with similar amenities.  Then get the rewards points for the occasional free night.

Sure, you can always find cheaper parks, with the meth cookers and long term welfare residents, and the sewer hookups draining to an open cesspool and a third world electrical system.  We try to avoid those parks.

We have stayed in some pretty nice parks for under $25 and as low as $15 with a PA discount. I've seen long term residents, but didn't know their status or been bothered by them. I've never seen sewer hookups draining into an open field. I think you would smell that long before you saw it.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »
We have stayed in some pretty nice parks for under $25 and as low as $15 with a PA discount. I've seen long term residents, but didn't know their status or been bothered by them. I've never seen sewer hookups draining into an open field. I think you would smell that long before you saw it.

Maybe it's that way in northeast CA.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Hosted by Over The Network