"Prep Fee" when purchasing a used RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maggie B

Hi! New to this forum.  Husband and I are purchasing a used RV.  The dealer is charging $1,800 for preping the unit.  Prepping includes cleaning and fixing problems (i. e. electric steps broken) Is this the norm.  It seems to me that the dealer should be doing this as a process of selling a used trade in... It is sending us elsewhere but I wanted to make sure I wasn't off base in my reaction to the charge (which I also think is very high) Oh yes, it includes the 2 hour walk around to explain things in the unit... Thankx  Maggie B

I would go elsewhere, and I certainly would tell the manager why. If you do you may be pleasantly surprised. By the way, everything is negotiable. You are certainly allowed to reduce your initial offer by  the sum of any or all of the up-charges.

When I negotiate for vehicles, whether cars or RVs, I negotiate "out the door" price - everything, taxes, fees, licensing, whatever. You make your offer, they can juggle their internal numbers however they like, not your problem. Makes it easier to compare deals and you don't get emotionally wrapped up in what they're charging for what, since you don't really care anyway right?

Fixing things that are obviously in need of attention should not have anything to do with a "prep fee". Consider it no different from a dealer fee when buying a new car. And it should be a part of the negotiation. We paid $750 to LaMesa RV on our purchase. The coach was cleaned and full of both propane and gas, but not really sure what we actually got for the $750 as I insisted gas and lp tanks were full.

Oh, and while they are spending the time to walk you through the coach showing you how everything works, please make a very concerted effort to really SEE everything. We missed several items which I would have insisted be fixed before driving off! I think all RV dealers will do everything possible to maximize their profit at the expense of total customer service. We were dealing with a family friend in our purchase from LaMesa RV but definitely were played.  Anyone interested in specifics can PM me...

This is becoming a more common practice. It allows the dealer to quote a lower and more attractive selling price up front, plus many buyers negotiate the selling price but simply accept the various "dealer fees". I think it is a rather dubious tactic, but you may encounter it elsewhere as well. Other fees may include a simple "dealer fee" (basically a sales commission) and document handling fees.

Basically he is telling you the quoted price was "as is" and he wants $1800 to make sure it is in working order.  If I was really in love with the trailer, I would be inclined to say "I'll take it 'as-is' and pay directly for the specific items I want fixed and cleaned" and then negotiate the price for those as part of the sale.  Don't be surprised if he says "No", though, since it's a fair bet that $1800 includes some extra profit margin for him, or covers costs like the commission he pays to his sales person.

Taking your business elsewhere is the better course of action, though, but tell the next salesman up front that any price he quotes must be a "bottom line" number and not subject to more fees other than taxes and tag costs assessed directly by the state.

That's a deal breaker for me.  The camper should have been cleaned and repaired long before it was offered for sale.... It's just a junk fee to boost the price.  You should also look out for a fixed tax and titaling fee.  I never pay more then the actual tax and title fee's.  Usialy a fraction of the fixed fee,........I also agree. Tell the dealer why your walking away from the sale. You may find that they suddenly can waive the fee. Expeciley if your spending big money.  But watch what your singing. Just because they say they are waveing the fee dosent mean the acculey removes it from the contract.  Most people don't read the paperwork

Yes, negotiate "all in" price. But watch the paperwork carefully when the finance/accountant guy is taking your money. Extra charges might show up there.

Very much like the "wonderful deals" on new cars in the paper and on TV, when you get there it is 5K more. That is when you know you are being hustled and move on!

Now try to find a place where there is no hustle. ?

Tactics like that are why I avoid RV dealerships (and really dealerships for almost anything) whenever possible.  Hidden fees... or fees that aren't mentioned in the asking price anyway... are a borderline underhanded sales technique IMO. 

Charging the customer a "fee" for repairing broken items is basically charging the customer for the repair!  Although for something like non-working steps, they might replace a $5 switch or wire, and somehow say that falls into your $1800 "prep fee"  ::)  In my opinion, a used vehicle or RV should be sold in working condition unless disclosed otherwise.  If you choose to have repairs done at that facility, then that is your choice.

It takes a lot more work up front, but I highly recommend HEAVY research and self-learning on all things RV... then buy used from a private party.  You will save a ton of money up front AND in the long run, being able to fix a lot of small things yourself (especially with help from forums like this).  The entire RV ownership experience will be more enjoyable without requiring you to spend a bunch of money at a dealer/service center when something needs attention.

Negotiate a out the door price to keep those "add on prices" down and let them know you want to see everything working before you sign anything. Our walk through took about 7 hours and I saw everything working, the fridge had been on overnight and working on propane and 120 volt, AC operation, and AC inspection on the roof with the shroud off, water heater on propane and 120 volt, removal and inspection of the anode, microwave, stove, oven, water fill, tank drain, holding tanks full and then dumped, landing legs operated down and up, TV's and stereo, shower, sinks, slides in and out, roof inspection, all ceiling fans, the trailer vacuum, tested all 120 volt outlets, generator checked under full load for voltage, amp load, and frequency, transfer switch test, awning operation, in and out, and towed the fifth wheel to check the brake operation.

I gave the salesman a list of what I want to check and see operate before hand and that I would be there on the PDI date when they opened with my own lunch, and if it didn't work or operate completely the sale would be off.

The tech that ran through the 5'er said they had never been through a unit so thoroughly before and said that the salesman had told him to make sure everything ran smoothly because I was a picky SOB.

Just remember "you are the boss and they need to keep you happy" and if you schedule the walk through PDI close to the end of the month, it will help also.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I saw everything working, the fridge had been on overnight and working on propane and 120 volt, AC operation, and AC inspection on the roof with the shroud off, water heater on propane and 120 volt, removal and inspection of the anode, microwave, stove,
Like the quote above, we saw pretty much everything was working. This dealer did not charge the PDI as this was mention prior to signing the contact. A few things did need to be adjusted and that was on the pre-delivery slip prior to taking the rig.
One thing we insisted to be taken off the contact that we signed was the extended warranty was because thinking about it later that night, we were basically financing the warranty for the term of the load. Do the math. We bought it out right from another source other than there recommendation. They make BIG money on selling you the warranty.

I want to reply to the couple who purchased from La Mesa RV. My slightly used rig is "being prepped" with absolutely no mention of a fee. It is difficult getting a straight answer on numbers -I've got the sales price, but signed a huge contract which would take three lawyers
to dissect. I'm a senior, female citizen and now I'm scared. I need help before Tues of next week.

Orson said:
I want to reply to the couple who purchased from La Mesa RV. My slightly used rig is "being prepped" with absolutely no mention of a fee. It is difficult getting a straight answer on numbers -I've got the sales price, but signed a huge contract which would take three lawyers
to dissect. I'm a senior, female citizen and now I'm scared. I need help before Tues of next week.

With a car, you don't have to take the car no matter what you signed until you drive it off the lot.  Relax and don't take the RV if you don't want too. Did you give them an money?

Quillback 424 said:
everything is negotiable. You are certainly allowed to reduce your initial offer by  the sum of any or all of the up-charges.

Exactly. Also, you can be sure the dealer checked the condition carefully when they took the unit on trade, and they adjusted the trade-in credit accordingly, so in effect they've already been compensated for whatever's wrong with the unit.

Orson said:

Don't hand over a single dollar until you understand every part of that contract... I know it may seem daunting, but make the dealer explain it to you line by line if necessary.  If that doesn't seem possible or you are completely overwhelmed, it may be worthwhile to hire an attorney to go over the paperwork with you.  Might cost a few hundred dollars?  Which is probably a small percentage of the overall purchase price.

If it is your "perfect" floor plan and you've just gotta have it, check it out yourself and if you don't find any real problems, tell them you'll take it "as is" - without the prep fee.  If they won't go for it then you can just go.

Sun2Retire said:
Exactly. Also, you can be sure the dealer checked the condition carefully when they took the unit on trade, and they adjusted the trade-in credit accordingly, so in effect they've already been compensated for whatever's wrong with the unit.

Completely agree - when they bought it they deducted problems off the trade price so they are double dipping charging you to fix something.

Everything is negotiable.  I agree with those who advocate for an out the door number.  I also agree that you need a warranty and you want to pay it up front, not wrap it in a loan that will last longer than the warranty.  If you cannot get the unit at your price walk out and shop elsewhere.

Maggie, to PM, click on the person's name or login on the left that will then show you their profile, click on the message bit and you can send a message.  You need to go to your profile to see messages although you may also be sent an email but need to reply via the forum.  Hope this helps.

I recently bought a used RV from a dealer and there were no additional fees.
They fixed everything they or I found no questions asked.
There was also a considerable delay in the delivery date, so they also paid for our hotel, our first week at an RV park, and my girlfriend's plane ticket for an event she couldn't miss (we had planned on driving up originally).

I can tell you it wasn't La Mesa RV. :p

Back
Top Bottom