Water filter for drinking water only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stardaddyed

We often "dry camp" at a camp ground that has electricity but no water at the sites.  We fill the water at the campground and the water is not the best.  We use a ton of water bottles for anything we consume but it is expensive and a pain to manage.  I think I can put a water filter on the cold water going to kitchen faucet.

Two questions:
1) Is that a good idea?
2) Any recomendations for filter?

Thanks in advance.

Can you fill your tank  home before you leave?

I use a filter very similar to this one available at Home Depot, Lowe's and probably Walmart. I use a charcoal filter and just change it out every year. All my water while camping goes through this filter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OmniFilter-11-3-8-in-x-5-7-8-in-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-OMNIFILTER-OB5-S-05/206314860

we need to do the same thing-I use a softener and whole house filter to fill the tank but need a better filter for the drinking water. I was going to look at filters at Lowes to see what I can find. I would like a filter to attach to the water hose.

Instead of water bottles, we use the 2.5 gallon containers of drinking water. Easy to pour for drinking or cooking, and a whole lot cheaper than water bottles.

Britta and PUR faucet filters both have a good rep.. Britta pitches are not as good as PUR's though.  I have used a Britta Pitcher for years. Finally broke it, and the best option was a PUR.. (Lowest cost, what the thrift store had in stock) so I'm switching over.

Wal*Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, et-al carry all the above.

You can also get some very good "under sink" filters that come up to a 2nd faucet.

All the water coming into the coach is filtered and I have a separate water faucet for drinking water that has an extra filter on it.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-5yc1vZcddq/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-drinking%2Bwater%2Bfaucet?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5
Add a filter
http://www.homedepot.com/s/drinking+water+filters?NCNI-5
I do taste the water at the faucet when hooking up. Most times the filters are able to remove any bad/different taste.
If it is to bad I will just use the on board tank and not hook up
Bill

We boondock most of the time and a few of our water stopping spots have some terrible tasting water, what we use is this water filter from camping world. It will make some of the worst water possible, drinkable. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

When we have a pressurized water fill source and have suspect or bad tasting water we filter incoming water.  We use a two stage system with a charcoal filter and then a 1.0um absolute filter as the final stage.  The charcoal has so far been very effective in removing bad tasting in water.  We do restrict the fill rate to 1.5gpm (in line orifice)  to allow adequate dwell time for the water passing through the carbon in the carbon filter. 

Attachments

• P1090829CCs.jpg
    P1090829CCs.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 75
  • P1090833ms.jpg
    P1090833ms.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1090834Cs.jpg
    P1090834Cs.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P1090838s.jpg
    P1090838s.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 45
Len and Jo said:
  We use a two stage system with a charcoal filter and then a 1.0um absolute filter as the final stage.  The charcoal has so far been very effective in removing bad tasting in water.  We do restrict the fill rate to 1.5gpm (in line orifice)  to allow adequate dwell time for the water passing through the carbon in the carbon filter. 
Do "they" recommend the 1.5gpm orifice for all carbon filters or just the filter you are using? I'm just curious as I've never seen that before. Where did you get the orifice? Do you notice a difference without the orifice? 

Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks.

I "inherited" this Everpure system when I purchased my used rig.
It's not inexpensive. The cartridges are metal canisters, run about 40 bucks and need to be replaced once a year.
But it gets rave reviews and blocks way more crap than the cheaper systems.

No 'they', me.  When you do some reading on carbon filtration and why it works you will come across articles on volume of active of carbon, type, DWELL TIME, etc all having impact on how effective activated carbon filtration is.  I made my own orifice out of brass and got the flow rate I wanted by trial and error with 45psi water line pressure.  Slower flow rate is better (longer dwell) for removing impurities but slower means longer time to fill the RV water tank.  It is a personal trade off you make.

Hi to all.........

About water filters:
I'm a fulltime boondocker so this is not just a 'Lifestyle" but the style of my how I live. haha) and potable water is critical.
The best water filter is a Berkey only one worth having - nothing else even really comes close.
http://www.berkeyfilters.com

thanx.........INTJohn

Here's what I did- bought 2 whole house filters, first is a rust/sediment. Second is reduces chlorine, taste and odor and sediment.
After the second whole house filter I put in a ?tee? one side goes to the water softener and into the camper.
The other side has a 35 psi pressure reducer and then it goes through a fridge filter, I used brass fitting to get it to thread on the pressure reducer so I can remove and store the filter in the fridge when not using it.
Water tastes great and is DW approved

Berkey is the "Cadillac" for water filtration.  I have often looked at them.  A person can save some money by just buying the filter cartridges and build your own with two 5 gallon - food safe - pails.  Not as lovely as the stainless steel units but will work the same.

I use the same twin cartridge setup as Len does for filling the tank,, but I screw on a Camco in line filter at the inlet. Then also use a 2 gallon Berkey in the rig for drinking water.

I use a home made activated charcoal filter on all water entering the RV, even if it's just flushing the flusher. This filter gets rid of a lot of sediment and other stuff.

Drinking water is run into a PUR filter stored in the Fridge.

That way not only is it clean... IT IS COLD.

We use a whole house sediment and charcoal filter setup for the incoming water supply, but we also have a point of use faucet mounted PUR filter in the kitchen for drinking and coffee water. The filter has a selector valve that switches it in or out depending on how the water will be used.

Back
Top Bottom