2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 2WD and travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSCLegend

I'm probably asking the same questions others have and I apologize for that.  All the towing lingo is like a foreign language to me.  I still have not decided on what TT to buy and hopefully I can get help from you guys.  We'll be using it at local camping grounds and some dry camping on packed dirt roads.  We're a family of 4, my boys are 4 and 5, maybe we'll bring 2 other guests max and hoping to get something 26 ft or over.  A lot of TT we've been looking at had a dry weight of 5500-6600 lbs, what should be the ideal weight/length of the TT?

Here is my vehicle's capacity on paper:
Curb weight 5,745
Payload 1,330
GVWR 9,1000
Towing capacity 7,200/7188 (yellow sticker on door jamb says original load carrying capacity has been reduced by 12 lbs)
Max Tongue weight 910
Combined weight rating with tow package 16,000

First, the yellow sticker is not towing capacity.  It is the MAX load carrying capacity of the SUV.  It is specific to YOUR  SUV.  The generic payload is usually for a base model and no options.  CCC is reduced by the weight of all options and accessories.

Towing capacity numbers assume ONLY a 150# driver, no passengers, no cargo, and a weightless trailer hitch.

The most load your Sequoia can carry is the CCC.  The most trailer it can carry must be corrected for all other things in the SUV.  Use this:

From CCC for your SUV, subtract the weight of ALL passengers, and remember, kids grow!.  Subtract the weight of all other cargo in the SUV.  Subtract 80# for the trailer hitch.  The remainder is the MAX tongue weight you can carry before the SUV is overloaded.

Assuming a 12.5% tongue weight (% of trailer weight carried by the tongue), multiply max tongue weight by 8.  This is the heaviest TT you can safely and legally tow.  Make sure to use the TT  GVWR, not dry wt.  Nobody goes camping with an empty trailer!  If the Tongue wt is less than 12.5%, this will provide a small safety margin.

I am afraid you may not like the results.

The RV salesman will give you a completely different story.  He wants to sell an RV.  He will not have to pull it with your SUV.  He will not be responsible to fix your fried transmission.  When you lose control and put it in a ditch, it is not his problem.

Follow these guidelines.  Do not overload your SUV.  Be safe.

grashley said:
First, the yellow sticker is not towing capacity.  It is the MAX load carrying capacity of the SUV.  It is specific to YOUR  SUV.  The generic payload is usually for a base model and no options.  CCC is reduced by the weight of all options and accessories.

Towing capacity numbers assume ONLY a 150# driver, no passengers, no cargo, and a weightless trailer hitch.

The most load your Sequoia can carry is the CCC.  The most trailer it can carry must be corrected for all other things in the SUV.  Use this:

From CCC for your SUV, subtract the weight of ALL passengers, and remember, kids grow!.  Subtract the weight of all other cargo in the SUV.  Subtract 80# for the trailer hitch.  The remainder is the MAX tongue weight you can carry before the SUV is overloaded.

Assuming a 12.5% tongue weight (% of trailer weight carried by the tongue), multiply max tongue weight by 8.  This is the heaviest TT you can safely and legally tow.  Make sure to use the TT  GVWR, not dry wt.  Nobody goes camping with an empty trailer!  If the Tongue wt is less than 12.5%, this will provide a small safety margin.

Thank you for the correction.  So according to this,

CCC (1300) - exaggerated weight of passengers (650) - other cargo (120) - hitch (80) = Max tongue weight (450)

Max tongue weight 450 x 8 = TT GVWR (3600)

Is my math right?

payload capacity DOES NOT include 150lb driver - only full of fluids as the vehicle leaves the factory ALL persons in the vehicle including driver must be subtracted from cargo capacity

Short answer is unless you buy a shorty SCAMP trailer you need more truck. Don't mess around with your families safety...or other drivers.

Yes, you are correct, as is Steve.  Payload does not include any passengers.  The published towing capacity does include a driver.

As John said, your choices are very limited.

DSCLegend said:
I'm probably asking the same questions others have and I apologize for that.  All the towing lingo is like a foreign language to me.  I still have not decided on what TT to buy and hopefully I can get help from you guys.  We'll be using it at local camping grounds and some dry camping on packed dirt roads.  We're a family of 4, my boys are 4 and 5, maybe we'll bring 2 other guests max and hoping to get something 26 ft or over.  A lot of TT we've been looking at had a dry weight of 5500-6600 lbs, what should be the ideal weight/length of the TT?

Here is my vehicle's capacity on paper:
Curb weight 5,745
Payload 1,330
GVWR 9,1000
Towing capacity 7,200/7188 (yellow sticker on door jamb says original load carrying capacity has been reduced by 12 lbs)
Max Tongue weight 910
Combined weight rating with tow package 16,000

Just my personal experience. I tow a Bullet premier 31bhpr (35ft / 6.400 factory weight) with a Sequoia 2010 Limited with Load E tires, airbags and WDH setup. Runs perfect ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom