2yr wish list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan Tolmann

So..hello..My name is Ryan and I have a long term goal of transforming my 1987 E350 RV into an extended offgrid home. But this is the cheap version, since i can always replace with higher priced components later...

Addressing...

..water,  1. A small pump, a ceramic water filter, uv lights in tank for filling from streams,lakes,ponds. 2. Dehumidifiers[60$ea]+ceramic filters[75+ea]+ uv lights [45-75$ea] in tank?? [The ceramic filters are very long lasting and filter doento 2-5microns depending on which you buy,  but 2 microns requires more filters]

Power...1. obviously solar [reclaimed 10yr old panels 150 watt pairs ..aprox. 275watts /100$ and easily enough room for 1200watts, a 5,000 watt full sine invertor [300$],and walmart 108amp hr batteries 97$ ea.  (This is the main house power source)
2. An hho device (45$), a 8hp 4c weed-wacker engine with after market ceramic coated valves etc(195.00+??) coupled with a coupled with a 10,000 watt belt gen. with the built in meters and connections for 110 and 30amp connectors (299-360$)... hydrogen can be compressed (65$) and stored separately in 20lb propane tanks(25$) ,(not the rv propane tank),....solar hho generation for cloudy days and nights (not alternator)...was toying with the idea of a crystal battery bank too and a trickle charger or steady hho maker.
3. A modified lord kelvins water drop generator and oil capacitors,  or regular HV capacitors..then converted for house power...just for wow factor.

Fuel, ceramic coating (or custom stainless)for a 7.5l 460 inards is pricy, but with 1200 watts of direct solar power and a full water tank i should be able to run on hho in the daytime..price not included its way out of range for me..
2. Superheating the fuel before intake may double mpg, this isnt expensive just technical so no parts list...yet.
3.aluminium heads...may get me an extra boost in mpg..but not sure if all three are compatible. Havent priced the parts..difficult with a 460 7.5l carb eng.

Food.. i can hunt and trap, but when i wason the gravy chain a 8cu ft deep freezer and a side of beef would run about 400-600$/yr averages about .99/lb for 250lbs of meat (and that includes all types from loin to ground beef) , i found a swiss made 12vt deep freezer 5.? Cu ft, that can run easy on a 100watt solar panel ( $1200.00 ouch)..but considering meat is about 30% of groceries and just buying groud beef at 3.99/lb thats paid back in a yr-ish.  Mounting it on a 700lb HD cargo hitch platform is ..hmm a challanging thought, i keep seeing a freezer bouncing down the road with frozen meat going everywhere and cringe thinking about it (cause it will happen at least once)

Tempature control...
Heat...electric heat is a tough nut, ceramic heaters are a energy friendly option but would need to be floor mounted and quite a few to overcome outside cold temp...
2. Sealed oil radiator a bit more juice then a series of ceramic heaters but more centrally located heat (bedroom) adjustable from 600-1200 watts.
3. a floor level ring of peltzers for heat, ceiling level peltzers (reversed) for cold.
4. Built in wood stove, with an exhaust (stationary use only) and an air system that coils around the outside of the exaust pipe and distributes to a few areas , but requires wood...good for extreme cold temp and adding a copper waterline with the copper airline wrapping around the pipe would provide very hot water too.
5. Passive solar heating using clear 6" and a black 4" inside it, placed around the outer top edge of the RV roof..a small fan to circulate air from inside to outside and back inside to custom floor vents. (Cheap version is a long black garden hose with fans, benefit is the same could be buried under the RV to exchange hot for cold air too..same equip)

Cold Air...
12vt ice makers, and an ice chest with fans.
2. Pelter ring (hotside to exhuast) on windows or ceiling perimeter, energy variable. Windows too, overkill maybe
3. Ac roof unit running on solar+ energy hog.

Well thats my wish list for the next two years...comments about improving or low energy low tech solutions always welcome. Powers low..

Ryan

'Many try to think outside the box, some do. Me? Im still trying the find the box so i can figure people out'
'If i had money, id be dangerous or on the moon watching the earth set'

I'm having difficulty imagining carrying a six month supply of beef in a modest size van, even on a cargo hitch. RVs, especially  small ones, simply don't have the space for that sort of thing. And your $0.99/lb cost is out-of-date, I think. Last I looked, a side of beef now starts at around $4/lb, and higher for the better grades.

Catalytic LP gas heaters are very effective and not real expensive to operate. A good choice for an RV.

Chances are those $97 Walmart batteries will be the marine/RV type and won't hold up well under repeated deep cycling (discharge to 50% or less and then re-charge).  2 or maybe 3 years is all you can expect from them.  Quality deep cycle batteries, e.g. GC2 golf cart batteries or AGM 12v deep cycles, will cost more upfront but last 3x as long.  It's a pay me now or pay me later sort of tradeoff.

With all the stuff you have listed to have in the van I would recommend you re-review solar panel house battery system.  Winter sun angles the solar power available will be significantly less.  Solar panels do age and rating on 10 year old panels might be less then new panels.  New panels are fairly cheap these days.  Freezer sounds interesting but what I have seen many of the RV size refrigeration units are designed to keep things cold and not cool down things that are warm. Costco has CG2 6v golf cart batteries for a good price.  Sounds like you will need several storage batteries for what you want to power and maintain.

Your dream sounds to be to be more of a B+ or smaller C??  One person??  Be fun to see sketches of your layout.

Its just me now, thats the yin story..boy meets girl, boy travels 3000mi from fl to ca to get girl,boy buys RV, girl leaves with boy..rv fuel sender breaks down and she freaks cause 'we are in the middle of nowhere' , actually we werent but it was a dark country road..she called someone to get her..'is that your brother? ' ,  :eek: not the brother, the husband...ouch two yrs flirting,talking,planning she could toss that in there? Somehow its my fault cause i didnt show the proper level of panic..why would I , i gave geico and roadside assistance  (unlimited rra 50mile radius), we were 7min from town..in a fully stocked RV ..whats to panic about?..oh and btw married? Now i get the "roomate"references. uh-oh im babbling , but silver lining..RV + job and free power and water and patking space...im not equating the two as equals clearly losing your not so truthful love/life mate is way bad..but theres worse places and worse jobs to feel the pain. Did i mention the people in this town are awesome nice? Over 20 ppl stopped to ask if we needed anything or needed help..while on that 'creepy country road',including ciggerettes...i bet he would have gone back to town to get them too. Im trying yo be sad, but its not easy with everything going great..

Also hard to find any stats on this RV its about 28' long but the only 'escaper' ford 360 7.5l carb is a 20' and a 23'....puzzling.

I will sit down and scetch something out, i usually just keep it in my lab , just past the baby pictures and the 4th grade beating...she was on steriods i knows it.
Seriously its connect the dots for me, if i get three yrs ill have saved enough to upgrade. The freezer goes on the hitch cargo platform not inside..
Thanks for the heat source, it is cheap to run propane... [but with a little adjustment you can run hydrogen+oxygen (fortunately electrolysis creates a 2/1 ratio perfecto, and uses electricity ...18vt works,  24 vts works nice...dont buy high grade stainless steel, just goto the dollar store and buy a 4pk of stainless steel butter knives for a dollar... need alot buy more..scale it up or down from a paintcan sized to a 5gal bucket.. one pos. One neg. Millimeter+ apart..oh plumbers glue rocks for the leadwires under water. ) ill make a detailed example anyone can try as an experiment..cheap too

Heres a quick and dirty way to make hydrogen and oxygen. (Awesome last minute science fair project for the kiddies too)

Construction pencils about six, some wire (18gauge is cool but close is fine) the 18vt battery from your cordless tool... plumbers glue or five min. epoxy...
A small bottle of water and a balloon.

Drink the water, its too expensive to waste..then fill with tap water, shove the pencils into the water bottle put the cap on and place in the hot sun, wait a day or two..the pencils have a seam running its length..as it swells with water tge cheap glue weakens and you can pull them apart carefully leaving the graphite exposed in one side..carefully remove the graphite...because graphene a mono layer form is why too expensive.. rinse and repeat until uou have about four to six pencil 'lead' rods. 
Take the bottle and smoke a ciggerette or a joint whatever you prefer and burn 4-6 holes in the bottom in pairs (two holes close together)
Run four-six eires through the holes and out the top..wrap bare wire around one end of a rod..repeat with all the rods, generously coat the bare wire with plumbers glue (include some of the rod, 1/4" or so) wait until dry..gently pull the wire and rod back into the bottle until the glued end merts the burn holes, apply more plumbers glue from the outside (turn bottle upside down for best result) until well sealed.
There should be about an inch from the tip of you tods to the bottle top.. let dry for a couple days.. (epoxy is way faster fyi )
Ok fill with water until it covers the rods..leave a bit of air in there, put plumbers glue on the cap area of the bottle..dont put the cap on.. put the ballon on and a rubber band  (optional)..
Dry again. The pairs of wires going to each set of trods should be wired together in two groups positive and negative ..the closer each set is the more production youll get. Now connect the pos and neg to its twin on the charged 18vt battery.. imeadiatly you eill see bubbles..and soon the balloon will inflate with two parts hydrogen one part oxygen. And your pencil leads will begin the disintegrate...
Its not splitting atoms, its splitting molecules ..when the balloon is well inflated turn off power, and cut and tie off the balloon...you have fuel.  If you replace the rods with stainless it will take alot of production to disintegrate them.. up the voltage..increase production.. add more 'rods' play with the voltage , play with the gas (carefull it actually burns, h-o fuel is the hottest burning , cleanest fuel..and most abundant)

Not convinced its flamable?  Tie it to a stick and place in a campfire...wooosh.
Just throwing this out there but wallmart sells a single burner camp stove...and dollar store sells big bouncy balloons...if it sets too long it will return to water..if it burns in a weedwacker engine the exhaust is water... if someone says you cant run an engine on hydrogen and oxygen because the laws of physics cause a 20-30% net loss of energy from production off an alternator+battery..just say 'solar power is free, and who cares if mpg is terrible...its miles per gallon of water lol, not oil based gasoline'... however before you run out and plan to run an engine remember hydrogen and oxygen make water...water will eventually kill an engine.. (unless its constantly running and hot enough to prevent it from reforming in the engine) ..so stainless valves and such (or ceramic coated) are needed if youd like to save the engine parts from corrosion....fyi it would take a few months , maybe six for it to lock up. Smaller fuel/oil mix 2cyvle engines wouldwould lock up sooner.. so run some oil/fuel through for a bit every so often to keep it lubricated...or shell out for valves and such stainless or ceramic coated. Enjoy.

If you cant keep the two rods from touching you can put a dab of glue on one like a spacer, never tried glueing them together at a millimeter+ ...dont know the conductivity of plumbers glue... but liquid electrical tape has worked...
The idea is electricity flows across the gap from one rod to the other, through the water... if they touch it wont work, if you bridge them it wont work well.

Bubbles..means its working

Back
Top Bottom