EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Lazydays to perform our final Warranty work  (Read 35287 times)

UK-RV

• ---
Re: Lazydays to perform our final Warranty work
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2007, 07:09:26 PM »
Hi Coolrun

I will get my bit in quickly - because when LD find you have been on here, they will stop you !!

They have had AMPLE opportunity to come on here and put their side of the story regarding my dealings with them - if they felt my version of events was wrong, it would be in their interests to post their version.

People could then make their own minds up.

I won't bore you with all the details but when I purchased my NEW coach, I had to wait at LD for THREE WEEKS for the PDI work to be done - is that good service in your opinion ?

When I went for insurance and warranty work to be done, LD did as much damage to my RV as it went in to have repaired - is that good service in your opinion ?

In the first 9 months of 2006, LD sales declined by 6%. If they are that good, we would see other local dealers closing down and LD stealing their market share - but that hasn't happened - why ?

Now, I met some great Tech guys at LD - but there are liars there who will be happy to damage a coach and not report that - hoping the customer will leave and not notice.

There are Techs there who just don't know what they are doing, plain and simple.

So please, don't come on and claim everything is great at Lazydays !!

As for the weekly meetings on Customer Service - I can only guess that as they are held early morning that most staff conveniently sleep thru it.

Am I bitter about Lazydays - you bet !!

Paul

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2007, 07:12:22 PM »
Evidently my statement hit a tender spot.  My opinion is Mr Coolrun is brainwashed or never worked at good dealership.  That being said, small profit, Bull pucky, they get as much out of your pocket as they can.  Has anyone ever bought from them where they didn't pay them a profit?  If they did they sure aren't going to sell at a loss.  Their volume bonuses with take care of them.  There are dealers that actually have sold for a loss , just to move a unit.  LD doesn't have too, they have enough traffic to eventually pawn it off to someone else.   Sure you may get a good deal from them but as Tom, Smoky, and others have stated, it's far better to take a factory delivery if at all possible.  ME I'll stick with the small dealer, he wants and appreciately your business in most cases.  There's always the exception to the rule.
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »
It is probably a good thing I do not work there as a manager because there would be a few troops kicking rocks down the road for poor performance....

Same here Ron.

....Lazydays could benefit if they would learn to meet commitment they make such as when the work is expected to be done and if a delay does occur follow up with the customer and not wait till the customer asks.

Very well said Ron and the same goes for the dealership I dealt with. I spent most of my career dealing with customers who expected things to be done when promised; When things slipped, I was continually talking with customers. If we screwed up, I immediately let them know and was the first on the plane to provide follow-up.

Thanks for posting your thoughts here.  That is a good sign that you are concerned.

I agree, but unfortunately s/he cannot speak for or influence the remainder of the employees.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:54:22 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »
Shayne,

I assume that coolrun has no idea of your background in auto and RV sales management.

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »

Tom

The picture is a bit small but HE is a SHE - see profile  ;)

Paul

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
....HE is a SHE - see profile

Oops, my mistake. I was thrown a curve by the email address which suggests a male. Apologies coolrun, egg all over my face. My other comments/observations are unchanged.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:24:31 PM by Tom »

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
IMHO if Lazydays were sincere in making sure their cutomers are treated fairly and  are satisfied they would assign somebody to watch this discussion to get an understanding just how their customers are being treated.  Given that their management are aware of the discussion covering Pauls dissatisfation I would have thought that they would have joined in and at least provided LD point of view.  But then if they realize they screwed up maybe they just don't want to face such a discussion.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
Am I bitter about Lazydays - you bet !!

I can't imagine why you'd feel that way Paul  :o

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »
Let's all hope that coolrun doesn't get in trouble with LD management for trying to defend the dealership. Personally, I appreciated the valiant defense of LD, even if it was a little misguided. Rather than being punished or censored for posting here, coolrun should receive an award from the employer. This is an employee who clearly cares about the customer and the company.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:20:04 PM by Tom »

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
I will admit that I have been extreme harsh with Paul at times, however Having been in the business I was trying to look at it from a 3rd point of view, neither the dealership nor Paul's. With possibly showing more dealership the customer.  Am I sorry what happened to Paul?  Yessiree Bob. yet the Final week of his problems with LD, I sat back and was ready to explode.  I don't think they would have been happy to deal with me had they damaged my vehicle as they did his.  With my attitude I well may have driven right thru the dealership as my foot slipped off the brake and hit the gas causing me to panic in a depressed mood.  I said in the beginning that I was against LD.  Through the years I have been asked, Yes by Mr Wallace, to come and visit and see for myself.  I declined all invitations.  Have had friends buy from them and returned for more.  Have had friends that despise them.  The dislikes have always outweighed the likes.  So I have no need to ever use their services.   When I was in the business, should one of our employees do to a customers unit, what was done to Paul's, and it wasn't immediately brought to the office's attention, that party would have been FIRED immediately with his check waiting for him  before he could get his tools packed.  
    Now If a customer has something coming,  dang it   give it too him.  But if he doesn't, make sure you are right, and tell him NO.  The trouble with large stores is the same all over the country in every field.  Ask a question and NOBODY knows a damn thing.  There is no pride in working anymore.    Again Small stores do have a little more control over these things, and yes we still have low down small dealers as well as large.   Mechanics are no longer mechanics.  They are parts replacers.   Good techs earn their keep, but unfortunately they too have to be specialized. There is just too dang much to do on these things for one man or woman to learn it all and be able to work on everything.  So the poorer of the learned individuals  get to work on the cheaper units and the more simple stuff while the techs are busy trying to make the rejects work.  Sorry but that the way I see it.  Cause I've been there done that and got out of it cause I couldn't grasp  all the knowledge and work on them too.   Your store is only as good as your poorest acknowledgeable employee.  Don't care if anyone agrees nor disagrees with me cuase that part of my life is over and at my age I could care less what people think.  However as long as I'm allowed to do so I will voice my opinion when it;s an open forum.  Everyone has to do what they think is best for them.  If everyone liked the same and bought the same, you wouldn't have all these problems of deciding.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:49:58 PM by Shayne »

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »
Tom I agree he shouldn't be reprimanded and I like his spunk .  However turning wrenches is not management and he's way out of his league being a tech.  No comparison.  And their  management plain SUCKs  no if's and s nor butts, and far as the Joe Doe Buyer.  When you start spending the big Bucks, they have a tendency to cater a bit.  Hence the Priority Club or what ever they want to call it.  That to me says that Joe Doe, isn't worth the High dollar guys attention.  Wrong and a poor way of doing business.  Every customer should be treated with the same courteously no matter if he or she, is buying new of used, $100 or $1,000,000 Vehicle. they ought to remember the people you snub going up are the people you have to face when you are coming down. 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
It went awful quiet around here all of a sudden. I wonder why  ???

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2007, 07:44:11 PM »

If Lazydays are still monitoring - and I think they are - they can try and sort this bit of customer service too.

My insurance claim involved repainting some of RVs front panel.

This meant removing the "Expedition" graphic and replacing it (for which they had claimed the cost).

I asked Lazydays whether they could repaint it and leave the graphic off, but that I would keep it in case a future owner wanted it.

"No problem" they said - except after being told it had arrived, they then told me it was due in by Wednesday March 8th and they would forward it on to me.

So, I emailed them 3 days ago to ask where it was, to give them a new CG address and for them to give me a call back on my mobile.

To date, I've not had an email nor a phone call.

I guess I will have to chase them on Monday by phone.

Many will think it petty, but WHY can't they do what they say they will do ??

Unless they can overnight it to me, they will have to pay for shipping to the UK.

Paul

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »
Paul,

I really think you're being unduly harsh on LD. As we've read from several LD employees, they're really going out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction. You must be one of those people who perpetually moans about anything and everything. You'd probably complain if the sun didn't come up tomorrow.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2007, 08:25:43 PM »
Simply put   FAILURE TO FOLLOWUP ON PROMISED COMMITMENTS.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
Ron,

I see that you too are unnecessarily harsh on LD.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2007, 08:34:29 PM »
Tom,

OK but sometimes the truth or facts are harsh.

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2007, 08:35:32 PM »
Again Tom,   Perhaps I hit a nerve or 2.  If I recall, from past experience, I do that quite often.  I have no sympathy for LD and as I told Paul on previous occassions, it's just possible some of the problems were his, even tho he doesn't see it that way.  Jaunting off to explore the country in an untested Entry level unit, even tho the price of it was more than an extremely nice stick built home in the midwest, was his biggest and 1st mistake, if not buying from LD to start with.  But that's just my opinion and I put them in the same class as Tom Raper RV in Indiana and OHIO. If they aren't the 2 worst dealers in the country I sure as heqq wouldn't want to deal with the ones above them.  Again Just MHO

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2007, 08:38:06 PM »
Shayne,

Looks like you're another among the anti-LD group   ;D

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2007, 08:48:06 PM »
A man and a dealership is only as good as his or her word.  The dealerships speak for themselves, mostly with forked tongue. The sales people are trained that way as well and the service writers.  Get the guy for all he's worth, cause he's in here to spend money or he wouldn't be here.  Now how much does he have and how much can we get.  As I've said many many times in this forum,  It's the old Hull-Dobbs system and the hell with the customer.  No dealership that I have ever encounter is anything other.  If they weren't you wouldn't have to go to the factory for service and deliveries, they would be handled correctly at the selling dealer.  Small dealers per sae don't have the luxury of thousands of customers so most try to be a little more discrete.  yet there are sour apple amongst them also.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »
Just have to toss in my two cents here. Shayne, don't take this personally because you're not the only one, but if I hear the term "Entry Level Unit" one more time, I'm going to up-chuck! To an owner of a Prevost or some other million plus dollar unit, every other rig is an "Entry Level Unit". I don't care what you paid for your rig, you have every right and expectation that it will work, and work properly. Just because your faucet isn't gold plated doesn't mean it shouldn't work as well as one that is. A generator should generate, lights should light, and holding tanks should hold. The list is endless, but you get the picture. Yes, maybe Paul should have spent more time in the beginning, but I liken that to going to Germany to buy a Porsche. You don't necessarily have the time or opportunity to run on the Nurburgring to see if it really will hit 200mph, or to test every fit, feature, function, and fluid to make sure everything works. What you want to do is hit the road and see the country, and that's what Paul did. Only after a period of time will you find everything that's wrong, and then you have every expectation that the selling dealer will make it right.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Mick & Pat

• ---
    • Thiswilldous
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2007, 08:06:07 AM »
I think that Shayne wants the customer to do the work the manufacturer or dealer should have done but hasn't.

This now appears to be the way of the world  :(

Throw it together advertise it on the forecourt, sucker I mean customer comes along, pays $$$$$$$$$$$$ .

Drives off forecourt to find the faults and hope that the dealer will correct them.
Regards Mick & Pat Podmore.

UK couple who toured USA / Canada. Oct 2007 - Aug 2009

2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S,Cat C7, Freightliner XC Chassis  2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd 3.7 .

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2007, 09:26:53 AM »
Many of you have probably noticed that I have a love/hate affair with LD - they have done many fine things for us in our two purchases and several service/parts visits, only to throw all the good will away with some egregious failure to follow through on some simple promise. I chalk it up to mediocre management in the service area, cause sales does a much better job of it. But sales is always looking for your business while service has customers waiting in line for months for an appointment. I have learned that I have to closely manage the process, at LD and at most other RV service establishments. For that matter, at just about all large and small dealers and repair shops these days, regardless of the industry. I shouldn't have to, but if I don't I get even more frustrated and don't get the results I want either.

As Karl says, buying an "entry level unit" does not excuse crappy service or non-working components. High end customers should get additional services and personal attention commensurate with their much greater expenditure, but there should be no qualitative difference in the repair work performed or the follow-through on any promises made.  If a promise is made, keep it.  If you can't reliably predict when work will be finished, don't tell the customer it will be done the same day. Better to be up front about scheduling than to p___  people off with delays and mess up their lives with schedule changes.

I remain convinced that LD means well but sometimes [too often?]  fails to follow through. That's where your part in helping to manage the process comes in. But they have also gone the extra mile for us in more than one case, finding an obscure part and twice taking us in on an emergency basis to fix water leaks.  And I know when my emergency problems got handled immediately, some other customer was being delayed. No way around it - there are no techs just sitting around waiting to jump on to emergencies.

We all lament the deterioration in customer service in nearly all modern businesses.  :'(
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2007, 09:53:10 AM »
Sorry   Mick you missed the point completely.  Paul took off on a nationwide journey without knowing anything about the RV.  He didn't know if anything worked nor how to use it.   If you think what you stated, you are totally unable to read the messages stated.  I would neve NEVER do what Paul did and leave without a at least a test run to check things out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:01:23 AM by Shayne »

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »
Aw yes Karl  there should be no diference between the 100K and million $ vehicle.  Also as you stated the Selling dealer is to take care of things.  Selling dealer period.  If it's warranty  total different subject, but adjustments and dealer defects are not warranty, but SELLING  Dealer only.  Also I stated that Time spent near the dealer to feel out the RV would have saved many of the heart aches and problems that later developed.   I've been on both sides of this issue on having a new unit, and I still contend that anyone that takes off like Paul did, is foolish to say the least.  This is a house, a truck, and an assembled peice of workmanship that all parts and materials don';t always function properly.   If anyone thinks they will is badly mistaken.  That's my take on it and I live by it.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
Hello Tom: We at Lazydays have weekly classes on the subject of customer service. I wish you could personally experience the level of care and professionalism we strive to deliver. I do not consider myself to be biased and I base my statements on my many years at dealers from California,Ohio,Indiana and Florida. I have found a home at lazydays and I am one of the best techs you will ever meet. Just my honest opinion.

First, I'm glad to see this response in the thread, It appears that someone at LazyDays is reading this so it may get back to management.

Second classes are great. But you need to have enough technicians and personnel to do the work. I do not know the employment status at LD but I do know many, many companies have cut staff not only to the bone, but have gouged out great chuncks of bone as well. 

From this thread it is clear your right hand has issues with your left hand (With folks not even knowing you have an IT department)

And the stories about Lazydays customer service are many and I can not recall reading a good report

I will temper that by stating that folks who are happy are not nearly as likely to vent online, thus I'm not as likely to read a good report as a bad one.. but I've read a lot of stories like this one.

However it is good that you are reading this thread.  I have seen several improvements in service come about when a company rep (or in one case the company owner) joined in a thread like this one.

I've also printed out a few horror stories (In regard to other companies) and handed them to company reps.  This is not as good as one joining the thread, but it can also help. (in those cases I always felt the service I got from the company was great, yet others had complaints... To be honest, I can understand (assuming half the story is true) why the other was unhappy.  but then he was dealing with a different store than the one I visit and thus a different manager.

I have run into technicians who... Well, let's just say they should go back to selling newspapers. (One worked on my car) in fact after finding error after error he'd made I spoke with his former boss and said "I'd say you should fire him if you had not already done so",  The boss (Clearly) agreed.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2007, 10:54:39 AM »
John,

Unfortunately, the responder is unlikely to be in a position to influence changes.

Gary's response and a few others remind me that it's only a year (or two) ago that I read about a shortage of RV techs industry wide. Dealers just couldn't hire or train enough of them. RV sales had been booming for several years, which translates into more demand for techs. Add to this the tendency for service departments to over-schedule their resources and it's not really surprising that things don't get done when promised.

I'm not convinced that this is unique to LD. Since they are so large, the issue may appear exacerabated.

FWIW when we bought our coach (at a different dealer) I went through some of the same experiences. At the first rest stop on our maiden trip someone knocked on the door and said "I saw the dealer license plate frames and wondered how your experience was with them". When I gave him the brief version of the story and said I wouldn't buy another RV from them, he replied "I've bought two coaches from them and had the same problems; I won't be buying another from them either."

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »

Paul took off on a nationwide journey without knowing anything about the RV.  He didn't know if anything worked nor how to use it.

Also I stated that Time spent near the dealer to feel out the RV would have saved many of the heart aches and problems that later developed.

Shayne,

I purchased a new vehicle from Lazydays.

Lazydays should have done a thorough PDI on the vehicle before it was sold - the Fleetwood manual states they have a contract to do so. They clearly broke that contract.

It is THAT failure which resulted in the initial problems we had at Lazydays.

You claim we should have spent time near the dealer to iron out problems - how much time is enough ?

Don't forget, we spent 3 WEEKS at the dealer - living in the RV (including a couple of days we managed to head out for 200 miles or so).

In that time, we quickly found a large number of issues with it (mostly small stuff and mostly PDI stuff).

Given that we highlighted the initial PDI issues on January 14th and we left February 23rd, you could say we spent 5 weeks getting to know the RV. Just because Lazydays didn't even look at any PDI items until February 1st, wasn't our fault.

By the time we left Lazydays, they had sorted 99% of the items we had reported - but it took them all that time to do what should have been done before they accepted our money - THAT is why I started my original thread last year.

Once we left Lazydays, problem items were covered by a US-wide network of dealers. That is one of the benefits of owning a Fleetwood (and all others Im sure) which is stated in their Owners Manual.

Fleetwood don't state any requirement to remain at the selling dealer for "x weeks" following purchase, do they?

I would love to know how you think spending extra time at Lazydays would have prevented ANY of the subsequent warranty issues we encountered thru 2006? - NONE of them could have been foreseen and NONE of them could have been avoided by knowing a little more about the workings of our RV.

We had (to my immediate knowledge) 2 problems with the RV which were self-inflicted stupid things - NEITHER of which would have been avoided had we stayed nr Lazydays longer.

Paul

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
Tom, I agree with you it is not unique to LD.  However I've dealt with two dealers. Now one sold me the rig and one did not.

I can not really complain about the dealer who sold me the rig, some things could have been better but I can not complain too loudly as much of what could have been better is, in fact, my fault.

Wheelers RV in Las Vegas however did a great job when I needed some warranty work AND THEY DID NOT SELL THE RIG.

What's more their glass man (Dave Simpson also of Las Vegas) really knew his business, made Guaridan glass here in Detroit look like a bunch of idiots. (Which in my opinion they are)

But with some dealers I hear a lot of complaints and not many complements

I should add with General RV here in S.E. Michigan....... There were other issues where they did very very good indeed. so my review of them is overall positive (And I can't blame them for Guardian glass. it's the only company in S.E. michigan that does RV size windhsields)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
Paul,

I think that what Shayne is suggesting is that folks buying a new RV should limit the first few weeks of their first trip to be within driving distance of the dealer. That way, things get shaken about on the road and latent issues come to light before setting off on a longer journey. From time to time you'll see us recommend that new buyers do this.

Folks who take factory delivery often do the same thing - they set up two appointments, one to take delivery (with all the associated tech support) and a second appointment four weeks later to take care of the latent issues.

....it took them all that time to do what should have been done before they accepted our money ...

I recall specifically warning you not to part with all your money unless/until you were completely satisfied. Unfortunately, things don't always work that way. Dealers want their money before they hand over the coach, while the emotional aspect of the sale takes over and we want the beautiful new coach so badly that we easily part with our money.

I'm not sure how your situation could have been avoided, but there has to be a lesson there somewhere for all of us.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:52:50 PM by Tom »

Hosted by Over The Network