Lazydays to perform our final Warranty work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom

It is a US pay as you go mobile phone, not a UK one.

You can answer a question for me here, as I think we are being taken for a ride by these guys too  ;D

When someone calls us, our credit gets reduced by the minutes they spend calling us - surely that cant be correct ?

Mike,

We did start to keep a log, but had to stop due to a lack of wifi at the time AND the huge amount of time that sort of thing takes - just ask the Betty Brewer - it isn't just a 5 minute job every few days.

I have every repsect for people who manage to keep a proper log.

Paul

Cell phones minutes are counted regardless of who originates the call.  If both ends are cell phones, both ends are charged for the minutes.

Paul,

Ned said it correctly.

Since you have a U.S. phone, that eliminates one excuse for not being able to call you.

UK-RV said:
We did start to keep a log, but had to stop due to a lack of wifi at the time AND the huge amount of time that sort of thing takes - just ask the Betty Brewer - it isn't just a 5 minute job every few days.  I have every repsect for people who manage to keep a proper log.

Paul,

Thank you for the kind words.  Yes my Alaskan log became a labor of love.  I did enjoy every minute of sharing my adventures and yes it was a bit more than  5 minutes per day but the  time I spent sharing was priceless to me.  I feel like I was able to take the readers on an Alaskan tour with me. 

And I have  appreciated the facts you report on your Lazy Days experience.  We all have the desire to "fight city hall" from time to time and I find it helpful to learn from the experiences of others on how to best get resolutions to problems.  You've had your share.  This RV thing is certainly not for wimps is it?  I find a lesson in every problem.  I can fix some problems and with others I have to chalk them up to  character building experiences and hope they don't give me any more characters in the future.  Good luck with  your problem solving.  I'm certain that your good times in North America have out weighed those character building experiences.

Betty

Thanks Ned

Now I know why I never gave our mobile number to anyone for the first 10 months.

If you're reading this Lyndsay & linda, you owe me a fortune on mobile cell calls !!  ;D

Paul

others I have to chalk them up to  character building experiences and hope they don't give me any more characters in the future

I very much agree with that statement.

We get to that stage where we think we aren't getting anywhere at all, so just chalk it down to experience and move on.

There have been many situations where we've had to accept things as they are - but there are those others which are SO infuriating it would be wrong to just let them pass by.

Thankfully, they have been few in relation to our whole experience to date !!

Paul

Ned said:
Cell phones minutes are counted regardless of who originates the call.  If both ends are cell phones, both ends are charged for the minutes.

What a rip off :mad:  Here in the UK the person who MAKES the call pays for the call NOT the receiver,what about unsolicited calls from companies trying to sell you stuff or don't you get them in America?

Thanks for the information, wow you don't only learn about RVs on rvforum.

Now whats the other thing I've learnt.........oh yes if you buy a new RV DON'T use it very much,wait until the warranty has expired then instead of the dealer or manufacturer paying for any problems pay yourself to get them rectified. :(

Mick,

The only time I rented a mobile phone in the UK, I paid for air time both directions. It cost me $150 for a week; Now that's a rip off! Ever since then, I take my own GSM phone and have it activated for use over there.

Tom,

I don't know how long ago that was but these days with companies such as Vodafone and Orange using pay as you go if you have zero credit you can still receive calls and texts. :)

if you buy a new RV DON'T use it very much,wait until the warranty has expired then instead of the dealer or manufacturer paying for any problems pay yourself to get them rectified.

I don't believe anyone here is saying that. Over the years the forum has been in existence, numerous folks have shared their purchase, service and repair experiences with countless dealers, manufacturers, brands and models. The net of those experiences suggest that there's a wide disparity in the quality of products and after sales support. (These disparities exist within the same brand and within the same dealership.) It also suggests that service at factory service centers is often, but not always, superior to dealer service. Similarly, it suggests that factory delivery is often, but not always, preferable to dealer delivery.

Dealerships operate their service and repair facilities as profit centers and aren't going to fix anything at their cost. That means that, until the sale is made and they have your money, you shouldn't expect them to fix everything that isn't working coming out of the factory. Once they sell it to a buyer, they can charge the manufacturer for warranty work. So new buyers would be advised to initially take one or more shorter trips (referred to as 'shakedown trips') within driving range of the dealer or repair facility where they expect to get things fixed.

Paul has had his share of product problems and poor support. But reality is that a motorhome is a combination of components that are cobbled together and sent down the highway. Things are going to break or otherwise fail by virtue of the shake, rattle and roll that occurs. Owners are also going to make mistakes that might contribute to failure or damage and Paul has made his share, although he's not alone. Staying close to a repair facility, whether it be factory or dealer, for the first few months of use is a good strategy.

As I look back, the RV industry has made improvements in some areas, but it still has a very long way to go and continues to be quite immature when it comes to product quality, reliability and customer support. I don't defend it in any way, but recognize it for what it is, having learned the hard way, just as Paul has. I and numerous others here use this experience to attempt to educate prospective buyers of the pitfalls. Unfortunately, human nature too often takes over and folks get caught up in the emotion of purchase and, when the realities set in, they experience a large disappointment. When this happens, folks here are empathetic and try to provide moral support and suggest that "one day you'll be able to look back and laugh at it".

.... these days with companies such as Vodafone and Orange using pay as you go if you have zero credit you can still receive calls and texts.

Mick,

Orange and Vodafone were around when I rented that phone. It was rented from Avis, not a pay as you go phone. In retrospect, the charges all came from Avis, so I don't really know how they were billed by the the phone company.

What a rip off Angry  Here in the UK the person who MAKES the call pays for the call NOT the receiver,what about unsolicited calls from companies trying to sell you stuff or don't you get them in America?

In the US it is illegal to make unsolicited commercial (sales) calls to a cell phone.

Cell phone minutes in the US have nothing to do with the origin of the call or (in most cases) even the distance of the call. A cell phone goes "on the air" to talk to the nearest cell tower and you pay (in minutes) for the time you are accessing the tower. Therefore there is no difference between calling out or receiving - you are still utilizing the capacity of the cell tower.

I'm curious how the cell phone rates in the UK compare to US rates.  Most everybody here gets a nationwide calling plan that gives unlimited long distance calling and x minutes/month of "airtime".  Right now 450-500 minutes/month of "airtime" runs about $40 + tax.

In addition to what Gary has said, most cell phone plans in the US also allow unlimited calls to and from other subscribers to the same plan type.  For instance, we have our phones on Verizon Wireless America's Choice II plan and we can call and receive calls from other Verizon AC II plan subscribers without the minutes being charged against our plan minutes.  Fortunately for us, many of our friends have Verizon Wireless cell phones :)

UK-RV said:
Thanks Ned

Now I know why I never gave our mobile number to anyone for the first 10 months.

If you're reading this Lyndsay & linda, you owe me a fortune on mobile cell calls !!  ;D

Paul
i've still got your $20.00 to go towards it

Wednesday February 28th

We've just spent a couple of nights in Kissimmee whilst LD took the RV into the Body/Paint Shop.

We got a great deal (travelocity) for the Ramada at $39/night for the room - with free wifi picked up from the Knights Inn next door  ;D

Anyway, we arrived back at LD today, to find the body work and paint had been completed and they were polishing the painted areas.

At 2pm, the RV went into the Glass Shop for the new driver side windshield to be fitted and the passenger side to be refixed properly.

If you remember, LD fitted this windshield last February.

They admitted today, that EVERY windshield they fitted at the time of ours last year had faulty sealant/compound - and this has led to the glass becoming loose.

Now - LD never got in touch with us at any time to warn us of this problem, so I imagine there are many people driving around with potentially hazardous windshields.

We will be staying in a bay tonight whilst the new sealant sets.

Then, there is just a minor Frieghtliner Recall item to be completed and - after 11 days - we are out of here.

Word has obviously spread of our displeasure, as every person working on the RV today knew me by name and all apologised for any inconvenience we had experienced - or it could be Hector told them of his gift and they all want one  ;D ;D

Paul

UK-RV said:
Word has obviously spread of our displeasure, as every person working on the RV today knew me by name and all apologised for any inconvenience we had experienced - or it could be Hector told them of his gift and they all want one

I know where I'd put my money  ;)

Paul,

Glad to see there is a lite at the end of the tunnel.

What is the plan?  Will you ship the MH to the UK and keep it or sell it?

Good luck,
Mike

Hi Mike

Yes, we are due to ship to the UK.

As long as we can register it OK - we are 2mm under UK legal width in cold weather and 4mm over in hot weather.

Then, we aim to come back to the US.

Realistically, it will take a year or so to sell.

Paul

Thursday March 1st

We spent last night in the glass shop whilst the sealant dried on the windshields.

This morning, whilst waiting for a slot for the RV to be washed, they parked it in the main parking lot (and left it unlocked).

This meant we would be escaping LD by noon.

BUT - AND, YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS !!!

As soon as they had parked the coach, it gave us a chance to inspect the paintwork and glass.

Well - Lazydays (to be known from this day forward as Lazyways) have managed to put TWO HUGE CHIPS in the front of the coach - larger than the ones we sent to have repaired.

The finish on the paint work is also pretty poor on one corner of the RV.

I just cannot believe how bad they are - and how unprofessional that they didn't even notice it AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, they wouldn't have done anything about it, quite happy for us to drive 50yrds down the street and then blame us for getting the chips !!

Im now waiting for their body shop guy to come and take a look.

I'll let you know what happens later today.

Let me tell you, that whilst this post seems fairly calm - I am FAR FROM IT !!

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom