Replacement for Streets and Trips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

I was a great fan of  Streets and Trips, which has been discontinued and no old CD version can be loaded on a Windows 10 laptop. I used the planning features of S+T frequently, calculation complicated non-direct routes. I also liked zooming in on a town and seeing where the lodging was.

So now I feel lost without S+T. I don't want to keep restarting my old laptop, but need a similar program for my Windows 10 Zenbook. I'm not looking for a freebie that might include who-knows-what when I download it...
Has anyone come across a good mapping program that will reside on my laptop (i.e. I don't need and wifi connection to access it)??
I appreciate any suggestions!

Elly

I've been using Delorme Topo North America 10.0 for several years.  I set up trip routes ahead and use it on an old laptop placed on the center console on my truck to navigate.  I have a USB GPS receiver that it uses to see the satellites.  I'm an old school map person and like to be able to look at a topo map while driving. 

Also, we try to stay on the back roads all we can when not pulling a trailer and we found it helps me identify back road routes that aren't dead ends.  I hate to backtrack.

I was a great fan of  Streets and Trips, which has been discontinued and no old CD version can be loaded on a Windows 10 laptop.

??  I'm running S&T 2013 on all three of my Windows 10 systems. No problem at all installing from the CD.

Gary, there are numerous discussions on the web that complain that S+T is not compatible with Windows 10. Microsoft seems to have promised a patch. I have not come across anyone who said he was successful in installing it on a W10 computer..... except you! Did you do it recently? Is it possible that MS included that patch in one of their updates?  Any idea?

Elly

I have been using the trip planner in RV Parkey.
http://www.rvparky.com/
I am allso using
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
and Google Earth/maps
I have been working on our trip this summer to Glacier and beyond. Did you know they still have over 80 ft of snow on the Going to the sun road? About half of the road is still unplowed. :eek:
Bill

What about something for Android? I have a 8" and a 10" tablets that use that OS.  I like something with GPS and does not require any interaction with the cloud.

I had/have S&T 2010 installed on all my Win-7 systems when I converted to Win-10, S&T continues to work on all of them, no problem.

Elly Dalmaijer said:
Gary, there are numerous discussions on the web that complain that S+T is not compatible with Windows 10. Microsoft seems to have promised a patch. I have not come across anyone who said he was successful in installing it on a W10 computer..... except you! Did you do it recently? Is it possible that MS included that patch in one of their updates?  Any idea?

Elly

Rumors are false if they do in fact exist.. Here is the problem with S&T on Windows 10

IF you have Windows 8.1 or older and UPGRADE to Windows 10, your pre-upgrade install of S&T will no longer work, IT will have an authorization key issue... Here is how to fix it.

Uninstall and re-install from CD

Worked for me  S&T 2013 is the version I still use, on Windows 10, On 2 computers.  one upgraded pre=install one post.

There are many good mapping programs out there... Too many to list.. But I'm expierenced with S&t, which (Word of caution) sometimes takes you down nice well paved streets.. And if you are not careful can take you one one heck of a TRIP (Think 1960's bad Acid)  Been there, done that.  Learned how to pick my route.

WILDEBILL308 said:
I have been using the trip planner in RV Parkey.
http://www.rvparky.com/
I am allso using
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
and Google Earth/maps
I have been working on our trip this summer to Glacier and beyond. Did you know they still have over 80 ft of snow on the Going to the sun road? About half of the road is still unplowed. :eek:
Bill

Both RVParky and RVParkreviews are very useful for finding RV park. There are also some very good aps. But what I was  specifically looking for is a planner that resides on the laptop so I do not needs a internet connection to access and extensively use it. It is not something to find RV parks or campgrounds, but to think about a road trip i.e. if I want to go from Edmonton to Miami, what are the different routes , how far, etc?

80 ft of snow on the Logan pass does not surprise me. It usually does not open until late June or early July and even then there are huge snowbanks on both sides of the road. Not much hiking in Glacier until well into July!

Are you planning to go on to the Canadian Rockies?

Elly

Just Lou said:
I had/have S&T 2010 installed on all my Win-7 systems when I converted to Win-10, S&T continues to work on all of them, no problem.

Ahhh.... but I have a new laptop.....

Elly

There are many good mapping programs out there... Too many to list.. But I'm expierenced with S&t, which (Word of caution) sometimes takes you down nice well paved streets..

Send me some names of good mapping programs!!! I can't find any....  Note that I amk not looking for a GPS, just for something that I use at night when I want to plan where we go next and we are boondocking and far from internet in any form. That's why I needs a program that resides on the laptop..

Elly

Elly Dalmaijer said:
Both RVParky and RVParkreviews are very useful for finding RV park. There are also some very good aps. But what I was  specifically looking for is a planner that resides on the laptop so I do not needs a internet connection to access and extensively use it. It is not something to find RV parks or campgrounds, but to think about a road trip i.e. if I want to go from Edmonton to Miami, what are the different routes , how far, etc?

80 ft of snow on the Logan pass does not surprise me. It usually does not open until late June or early July and even then there are huge snowbanks on both sides of the road. Not much hiking in Glacier until well into July!

Are you planning to go on to the Canadian Rockies?

Elly
For navigation I use Co Piolet on my phone and on my tablet. You can download maps while you have wifi and you don't use data. With the maps down loaded you are not using data on the road. I have found it to work as good as or better than some of the expensive map/navigation programs. You can do quite a bit to customize your results.
https://copilotgps.com/us/
We may make a day trip to the Canadian part of the park but will be headed south to the Tetons. So no not on this trip.
On your question about using maps offline. I keep getting a pop up in google maps but haven't payed it much attention, about using maps offline. I almost always have wifi or use my hotspot if I need to look at something on line. Maybe I will pay more attention next time.
Bill

Gary, there are numerous discussions on the web that complain that S+T is not compatible with Windows 10. Microsoft seems to have promised a patch. I have not come across anyone who said he was successful in installing it on a W10 computer..... except you! Did you do it recently?

Nope, did it when W10 upgrade first came out on two systems, and the other one last October. Just re-installed from the CD after the upgrade, as Detroit John said. You may get a warning message, but just go ahead and complete the install. Have you actually tried it on your laptop?

The DW is a S&T lover too. She is also hanging on to her 2013 S&T for dear life. She likes and will use Google Maps on occasion and likes it. We too are a mixed family, I have W-10 electronics and she still has W-7. I have noted that some of the programs I have loaded on my laptop have the option to run in "compatibility mode" on W-10. Compatibility mode will run the program in W-7 or W-8 if desired.  You may give that a try.

S&T quit working on my Win 10 system and I now use google maps.  I open two maps.  One for the trip  I'm planning and another to search for stops.  For example: I set my end point then click on directions and set my start point.  If I need fuel, I look at the other maps window and search for truck stops in the state where I will purchase fuel.  I find a convenient fuel stop and copy that location into my "trip" map.  Works for me and is almost as good as S&T, not quite.

Streets & Trips 2013 works fine on my Win 10 tablet and notebook. About the only alternative for Windows is DeLorme Street Atlas. I tried it several years ago and didn't like it so I continue to use Streets & Trips. DeLorme may have made improvements since I used it. It's fairly cheap, about $40 so it might be worth a  try.

All this discussion  about S&T and W10 made me wonder what happened to my installed 2013 version that I had on the is machine when Win7 was the the current operating system. The desk top shortcut was missing. I looked up the actual install (under "Program Files"), double clicked the "street.exe" file and was greeted with a message saying I was missing the MFC100.dll file, an apparently common issue. I installed a fresh copy of said .DLL file and all is well. S&T seems to be functioning well under W10, although I don't use it very often any longer. The version of S&T I have installed is the version delivered from an on line purchase just before it was discontinued. I sure would like to know what caused the .DLL file to just disappear though.

I use RV Trip Wizard. It's not free. I like it because it automatically tells me how many miles between stops, you put in how many miles or hours you want to drive in a day and it puts a radius around your daily start point. You can also use two more radius, I have one at 150, 200, and 250 miles so I can see where I will be at those mileages. You input your mpg, how many gallons your tank holds and and how many gallons left in the tank when you want to refuel and it will show you where you will be when you need fuel. It also shows you all the camping places along your route and you input the places you like to stop at or if you can just see all available.

http://www.rvtripwizard.com

Attachments

• tripwizard.gif
    tripwizard.gif
    323 KB · Views: 31
After looking for a couple years, for something to replace SnT for planning our annual cross country road trip I finally located something I've not seen referenced on any of the forums.  It's almost as good as SnT and in some areas even better.  Find it here:  https://trips.furkot.com/register

It's free!!!  It allows you to opt to use Google Map or Apple Map.  It has most of the features of SnT which are absent from all the other options I've tracked down.  For example, one of the SnT features missing from other 'alternatives to SnT' and one of the most valuable options for me is the ability to plug in start and stop driving times.  This option results in showing your end of day on the map much as SnT does/did.  Additionally, Furkot offers the ability to set your speed of travel in MPH or you can accept the default of 100% of the 'average' drive speed for the route OR edit that percentage.  This option, which was on the very early versions of SnT vanished with later upgrades (or I was just unable to find it) AND this option allow you to really hone in on the big question my wife always ask:  where are we spending the night tonight.

You can use Furkot on and off line and if you have internet connection, you're not restricted to using a particular device - which is another upgrade to SnT of old.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom