Working Full Time from RV - Best Internet Solution so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDub612

Good Morning Forum!!

I have a full time corporate 9-5 job.  A day typically entails me attending WebEx conferences with audio, lots of emailing (with attachments), instant messaging between my conworkers, phone conversations, looking and moving files from and within an intranet sight, querying data from internal applications.......I think you are starting to get the idea.

I am looking to you folks to see if there is a consistent and reliable solution.  Don't want to get myself in a situation that I'm in the middle of my work day without connectivity and have to find place to work (and sitting in a Starbucks and trying to facilitate a conference walk through is not an option.).

What I have been learning so far is that each solution has their own limitations (satellite- due to encryption you lose speed / cellular - not always available).

Would love to hear all your experience and opinions.

Thank you!!!
JW

We've rarely found a site where we didn't have cell reception, especially since adding first an external antenna, and ultimately a powerful cell signal booster amplifier that retransmits the cell signal within our motorhome. Our primary Internet connection is a Verizon Jetpack with a 20GB/mo 4G/LTE data plan at $100/mo, backed up by another Verizon Jetpack that's been reflashed for an unlimited 3G only data plan at $5/mo. Using the slower 3G plan for email, general surfing, and other uses where speed is not much of a factor helps keep our overage charges on the faster 4G plan to a minimum.

Paul & Ann said:
These two have a lot of information on the topic:  http://www.technomadia.com/internet-page/

Thank you Paul and Ann.  I have been reading through their various posts and did come across their set up.  Just looking for additional suggestions and feedback on this topic so I go in knowing fully what to expect on the road before I make the commitment.

NY_Dutch said:
We've rarely found a site where we didn't have cell reception, especially since adding first an external antenna, and ultimately a powerful cell signal booster amplifier that retransmits the cell signal within our motorhome. Our primary Internet connection is a Verizon Jetpack with a 20GB/mo 4G/LTE data plan at $100/mo, backed up by another Verizon Jetpack that's been reflashed for an unlimited 3G only data plan at $5/mo. Using the slower 3G plan for email, general surfing, and other uses where speed is not much of a factor helps keep our overage charges on the faster 4G plan to a minimum.

NY-Dutch, Thank you for sharing your experience and what you have set up.  This was very helpful!

I use a Verizon MiFi and have yet to not be able to get a signal at any location that is resonably close to the Interstate Highway system.  Most months I use close to or over my 32 Gigs of 4G data.

I do also have three cell phones and three IPads that use from the same data.

For me Verizon is not the least expensive but it does seem to have the best coverage for my needs.

Howdy and welcome JW!

I suspect a lot depends on your location and camping spot.  I'm in the west and, like Dutch, find that Verizon with an amplifier and antenna is very good.  I'm a full-timing software engineer and spend most of my time boondocking as far from civilization as I can get. Parking in a hole (deep valley, river bottom, etc.) generally presents a cellular coverage problem (as it is line of sight).  If in town/on the beaten path, coverage is nearly always good (4G). I get by on a 12Gb plan and an very thankful that $140/month allows me to work in some spectacular locations! I use McDonalds and such for big transfers (service packs, major updates, etc.).

http://jdfinley.com/wilson-amplifier/
http://jdfinley.com/cellular-data-antenna/

I thought I had a big post on this somewhere, but I guess not.

I buy unlimited (NO throttling) data through "a guy" and my Verizon Jetpack. I can hook you up with him if you're interested. Costs me $120 a month which is pricier than what you'd have to pay at your sticks and bricks, but worth every penny to me while I live on the road. I just never, ever stay at campgrounds with no or iffy Verizon data (must be some bars of 4G; 3G won't do) and always check online reviews ahead of time to be sure.

I go from (mostly) TT park to TT park, and there are only a few I can never visit because of this.

There are a number of those "lease" unlimited 4G plans listed on eBay, all at $120+ per month prices as I recall. Basically, what you're getting is a number and SIM that's activated on an unlimited business plan owned by the person offering the lease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom