Removing front cap graphics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

We picked up a nice 3mm wide, 3mm dent to the front of the coach and are having it repaired at Lazydays (plus a new windshield).

The insurance guy informed us that the entire top section of the front cap would need to be resprayed and a new "Expedition" graphic added.

Ive never really liked having the graphic on the front - I think it would look much better without it, nicely waxed and shiny.

So, my question is :-

When the dent is repaired and they remove the old graphic, do you guys think they would be able to respray the whole cap WITHOUT ANY MARKS LEFT from the removed graphic ?

Thanks
Paul

Having spent the past 18 years in the autobody industry, I am going to say that if they cannot remove the graphics without gouging the paint they shouldn't be painting.

Decals are relatively easy to remove without getting into the underlying paint.

UK-RV
When the dent is repaired and they remove the old graphic, do you guys think they would be able to respray the whole cap WITHOUT ANY MARKS LEFT from the removed graphic ?

YES!

Ed

It depends on how they take the old off. If they use a hammer and chisel then yes they have to decal it. That is the only way they have to decal it.

Rusty,

Could you explane the process of removing the graphics please?  I have some older tape and want to replace them.

Thanks,
Mike

There are actually a few different methods.

Probably the easiest would be a 'stripe eraser'. It fits into a drill and you basically "erase" the decals off. After the decal is off there will be some glue left on the surface. You can use some adhesive remover on a rag to get rid of it. Be careful not to run the drill too fast or stay in one spot too long or you might burn into the paint.

Another method you could use would be to heat the decal up with a heat gun ( a hair dryer would work, just not as well ). Heat the decal and peel it off. You might need to use a plastic razor blade in a few spots to help things along. Again, you will probably need to use a little adhesive remover on a rag to get the remaining glue off. This method has risks too though. If you heat it up too much you could blister the paint.

Either way you do it, there will be a little elbow grease involved.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom