"Low Frequency" code on Progressive Ind EMS 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TravlinOn

I moved to a new camp site with my 5th and am now getting a "Low Frequency" error code on my Progressive Industry EMS 50amp which is connected to the service post.  I have no idea how important that code is for my 5th's equipment and functions.  Can someone explain it?  Thanks.

This may help. It's from their Web Site

AC Frequency Protection
If AC power frequency deviates plus/minus 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down AC power. An Error Code of E7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an Error Code of E8 will be displayed when frequency is low.

I understand what that is.... but how could it happen?

I get voltage drops, even spikes in voltage.... but what would shift the frequency?

The only thing I can think of is a speed up or slowing down of the power company's generator!.... but then I'm a mechanical guy.... what do I know.

I would unplug shore power and start my generator. If the EMS liked the generator output I would talk to the park manager. If the EMS indicated the same fault on generator power, I'd question the EMS.

I certainly wouldn't eliminate the EMS from the circuit until I was satisfied the shore power frequency was 60 hertz.

That much off-frequency is indeed potentially damaging to motors and compressors, and to some electronics. Probably not an issue for lighting and other resistance-type devices. Clocks will keep the wrong time, and the clock motor may fail prematurely if run for lengthy periods that way.  Some electronic controls, e.g. electric blankets, are probably affected as well. Since your EMS shuts down, your choices are to bypass it and gamble, run the genset instead, or move to a different campsite or campground.

This is a very unusual error and I wonder if it might be a false one, i.e. failure of the EMS rather than the campground power. Power utilities regulate frequency in the power lines, and there is little that the campground could do to muck it up.  Is it possible the campground is running on its own generator power? A wonky genset can easily produce improper frequency.  I brought up the possibility of a false error because I actually had that problem with another brand of EMS. It kept giving an Open Ground fault when it got a bit hot. I finally realized it was false when it reported the same problem on both genset and shore power.

You might try plugging a digital clock into the power post outlet and see if it keeps proper time. If its really 51 Hz or less, it should be apparent within 30 minutes. a 15% difference in frequency should throw the time way off.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You might try plugging a digital clock into the power post outlet and see if it keeps proper time. If its really 51 Hz or less, it should be apparent within 30 minutes. a 15% difference in frequency should throw the time way off.

Gary, did you mean that he should plug in an analog clock?  Those usually synch off the power line frequency.  Digital clocks often use a crystal (I think).

What could change the frequency?  Well under normal conditions the power mains the frequency is very well regulated, as they say "You could set your clock by it" in fact many clocks both the olde analog clocks when ran on a synchronus motor that was tied hard to the power line frequency and modern digital clicks use the power main as the time standard.  About the only thing more accurate is WWV. (The national brueau of standards time transmitter).

However.. Strange things happen when a generator fails at the local power plant.. Usually gets cleared up in a matter of seconds though.

More likely the EMS time base (Which is a crystal) needs adjustment.. HIGH/Low temps can also affect the time base in the EMS.

Quillback 424 said:
I would unplug shore power and start my generator. If the EMS liked the generator output I would talk to the park manager. If the EMS indicated the same fault on generator power, I'd question the EMS.

I certainly wouldn't eliminate the EMS from the circuit until I was satisfied the shore power frequency was 60 hertz.
my generator does not feed through my monitor.  This was the way Progressive Industries suggested it be installed.  I don't remember why....

Good point Brad.

You just reminded me that when I wired in my surge suppressor I elected to have it check shore power only, and not check the generator.

Another option is to use a multi-meter that reads frequency (I have 2 or 3 of 'em here including my favorite crafstman) or a Kill-A-Watt set to Frequency. if it shows 59,60, or 61 HZ its the time base in the EMS that is off. not the power line. (Should show 60.. Should never show anything but 60, but 59 and 61 are both ok)

Gary, did you mean that he should plug in an analog clock?  Those usually synch off the power line frequency.  Digital clocks often use a crystal (I think).

An analog clock certainly, but my digital clocks also seem to react to frequency or wave form differences. They run slow or fast on MSW , for example. Or in a few cases, not at all. But you may well be right that some have crystals, or at least better control algorithms, so might not react as I described.

Almost has to be a problem with the EMS, the power line frequency is very tightly regulated.

I would call Progressive and explain what's going on. I hear they're good about warrantees like it was damaged by a power surge.

Thanks all.  That helps a lot. 

I seem to always get the weird stuff.  Anyway, I hooked up my EMS upon arrival and checked it later a couple of times and it was giving the low frequency reading.  Not knowing any better and because the EMS did not shut down the power to my 5th, I let it continue.  The next day, I shut power off at post then back on and all systems OK. 

I repeat:  I seem to always get the weird stuff.  Hopefully, this EMS is not malfunctioning.  I had to return one prior to this one due to a flaw in it.  No problem, though, Progressive Ind. was very good about correcting the problem with a replacement EMS.  I'll keep watching this new one.

Motor driven analog clocks (many today are really digi-log, digital movement with analog display) do use line fre1uench

Digital clocks designed to plug in MAY use crystal base or line base.. Either one

Kill=a=watt gives you instant gratification (Clocks take time to show the error).

Quillback 424 said:
Good point Brad.

You just reminded me that when I wired in my surge suppressor I elected to have it check shore power only, and not check the generator.

Easy way to check if the EMS is reading correctly isto plug the Shore power cable into the RV using a 50a(30a)/15a converter plug.  Your generator frequency is usually pretty stable.

As a side note, is the CG on the grid or does it have its own generator? Just My 2?

Call Progressive- I had a very similar problem with a unit.  It would drop out with the low frequency error when the EMS 30 would transfer the load to the line after doing initial tests which showed 60 Hz without the load. When initial loading took place the Error code would be set, and the  EMS 30 would drop the line. It would then time out and retest the line power fine and attempt again to transfer the load to the line.  It would then either transfer or fail again. Never went over three cycles, before it transferred and stayed connected. And showing 60 Hz.  They indicated that they have this problem occasionally and they are generally getting back feed from the inverter that they are detecting.  It is a false alarm if you are on power company grid power and not being sourced from a generator.  So call them and they will have you check some things and then replace the unit if required.

teddyu said:
Easy way to check if the EMS is reading correctly isto plug the Shore power cable into the RV using a 50a(30a)/15a converter plug.  Your generator frequency is usually pretty stable.

As a side note, is the CG on the grid or does it have its own generator? Just My 2?

slapping my forehead.....  can't believe I never thought of that!  I have wondered a time or two about using it for checking my genny's output.

Guess I never thought on it too hard, since I have one of these, which checks most of what I was concerned with
http://www.idealindustries.ca/products/test_measurement/circuit_analyzers/suretest_circuit_analyzers.php

When, was the last time a Major Electrical Power Company, that is tied to the US electrical grid, power a frequency that was out of specification by more then .2 Hertz?
Never

EMS is bad my guess

Back
Top Bottom