Towing behind Class A - Where can I find a list.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Fitz

I don't even have the class A yet (but maybe in the next few months.)  Is there somewhere I can find a list of vehicles that can be towed behind a Class A.  I have a Subaru Outback (which can't be towed, I hear) and may be willing to trade it in on something I can tow.

Second question ..... which is easier......4 down or front wheels on a trailer?

thanks much.

fitz

Motorhome magazines publishes a Dinghy towing guide every year as does the Family Motor Coaching magazine (Family Motor Coach Assn.).  What you can tow changes all the time.  For example we've towed a 2004 Acura MDX.  About 2005 they started changing the transmission and by 2006 it was no longer towable.  The only reliable resource is the manual for the specific car you're considering.  Sometimes it's indexed under Recreational Towing, not Towing which tends to be towing as in a breakdown.

Towing four-down is by far the easiest.  You'll find quite a few discussions on the subject elsewhere in the RV Forum (see above Search button).

ArdraF

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php 

Remco will tell you if any car is towable and if it can be made towable by adding a pump.

4 down is a lot easier especially when it's raining in a muddy campground.

Rolling a tow dolly around in a muddy campground is great fun too.

Arch Hoagland said:
http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php 

Remco will tell you if any car is towable and if it can be made towable by adding a pump.

4 down is a lot easier especially when it's raining in a muddy campground.

Rolling a tow dolly around in a muddy campground is great fun too.

X2

Remco is a great site!  You input a specific car, including engine, trans., drive system, etc.  It gives you a specific answer for that car.
Towable as is,    towable with the following items added,      dolly tow only,      not towable
It also lists all items needed - tow bar, base plate, toad brakes, light kits, trans pump, etc.

If you currently tow 4 down, can you post here so I can get a good feel of what people are towing with:
Year
Make
Model
Tranny

Same with Tow Dolly
Year
Make
Model
Tranny

Thanks much.  Your inputs and comments are greatly appreciated.

Fitz

4 down, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe, Auto Trans

Most Hondas of the 2000s are flat towable, regardless of transmission, up to somewhere around 2012-2014, when they started using a Continuosly [?] Variable Transmission (CVT).  Check one of the aforementioned towing guides to make sure.

Here's the way to take your Smartcar. Photo of forum members Terry and Liliane Nathan's Eurocoach.

Jim Fitz said:
Anyone tow a Smart Car???  Thanks.

Fitz

We almost bought a Smart car that was set up for towing...but it was across the border in Canada...and that's just more hassles than I want to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom