family of 3 going from 30ft TT to TC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alicat150

Hello!  My husband and I purchased a used 2012 Winnebago 30RE TT.  We've owned it for 1.5 years and have taken it out a half a dozen times.  We have a nearly 4 year old child and a dog.  Now we are planning to purchase a Lance 855s (one slide) and sell the TT.  We have a 2011 F250 diesel short bed.

I figure what we are giving up in space and storage we'll make up for in convenience in easier driving, and we can tow a couple horses or a smaller boat or whatever toy my husband might get one day.  We use it for weekends and prefer campgrounds to RV parks.

So I'm thinking this makes sense and now that I've got my DH on board with the idea I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions you might have.  Anything else to consider or that I might be overlooking?  Also, would I be wrong to assume that we can use with unattached to the truck in campgrounds?

My only concern really, if I were you, is the size.  Seems a bit crowded to me....
that 4 year old will be getting bigger pretty fast....

I knew somebody in the cub pack a few years ago that used to have a truck camper.  His was a bit larger, with a hybrid type tented bunk out the back.  It was big enough for his family with 3 boys.  I really liked that thing, and I considered truck camper options strongly for a while.

I don't know.... to me, a truck camper generally seems like something for a single guy to go hunting and fishing..... maybe to bunk up with a buddy once in a while....
or maybe as a couples camper....
just doesn't strike me as a great family option for some reason.  I don't really know why.

But those larger ones like my friend had are pretty nice.....

About dropping the camper at campgrounds.... I've asked several folks that had them, that I have run across about this idea.... they all say, "yeah you can do it pretty easy"..... but I have NEVER seen any of them doing it.... for what it's worth, just an observation....

You better think about pulling a couple of horses behind an F-250 with a TC mounted on the truck. The truck will handle the TC alone  or the horses alone however the combo is too much for an F-250. Small boat no problem with the TC. Have had 4 TC campers and unless your in the one ton truck category I would not advise pulling a two horse trailer and TC combo

Had a 8.5 foot non slide camper for just the DW and myself, too small. We still keep it for day excursions or adventures into the back country, but we usually take the fifth wheel.

Watch your weights, those newfangled campers pack  on pounds quickly, the 855s is going to weight in just shy of 3900 LBs fully loaded for camping. We had a f250 that we used for the TC, gave the truck to our son and got our current truck to haul the camper.

We had an Arctic Fox 1150 years ago.  Me, DW and one dog.  It was OK.  We later went to a Class A.  If I were you....I would drop this idea.

I'm contemplating this idea, too. Maybe not a TC because the truck wouldn't be fit to haul one, but a class B van and a tent. We got a 10 person tent and we slept four nights (2 rainy ones) and it was fun. It's so much more convenient w/ the TT, but it's not so funny to tow it, hook-unhook everything, especially if we stay for 1-2 nights and we move to another RV park. We got an instant cabin style tent and even if DH inflated/ deflated the queen mattress and put the 2 army cots together, it was faster. I would love to have a kitchen and toilet inside so having a van or a TC would be great.
Maybe go to some dealers, CL sellers to try out some TCs. See how you fit inside w/ the family, where would everybody sleep, etc.

With just the camper you will over 1000lbs over weight. Most campers require at least a 1 ton SRW and and a DRW would be better.
"Three people in a camper is fine as long as two of them are sitting down." You obviously haven't been inside of a triple slide camper. I fit 5 adults with no problem and have plenty of room to walk around and cook without getting in each others way.My floor is 8' wide and the camper is just shy of 20' long.

blw2 said:
My only concern really, if I were you, is the size.  Seems a bit crowded to me....
that 4 year old will be getting bigger pretty fast....

I knew somebody in the cub pack a few years ago that used to have a truck camper.  His was a bit larger, with a hybrid type tented bunk out the back.  It was big enough for his family with 3 boys.  I really liked that thing, and I considered truck camper options strongly for a while.

I don't know.... to me, a truck camper generally seems like something for a single guy to go hunting and fishing..... maybe to bunk up with a buddy once in a while....
or maybe as a couples camper....
just doesn't strike me as a great family option for some reason.  I don't really know why.

But those larger ones like my friend had are pretty nice.....

About dropping the camper at campgrounds.... I've asked several folks that had them, that I have run across about this idea.... they all say, "yeah you can do it pretty easy"..... but I have NEVER seen any of them doing it.... for what it's worth, just an observation....
I see people removing their camper all the time. I take my camper off every time I get the chance.It only takes about 5 minutes, including leveling it up once it is on the ground. Electric, remote controlled jacks make it easy.
It only takes about 10 minutes to put the camper back on.

Attachments

• Paulina-Camper1w.jpg
    Paulina-Camper1w.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Paulina-Camper2w2.jpg
    Paulina-Camper2w2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 59
When I was a kid my parents had a truck camper.  It was from the 70s I'm sure.  No bathroom - just a closet type deal w/ porta potty.  It was small.  My parents & my sister and I camped in it.  My sister was 4 and I was 11.  We slept on the bed made from the dinette.  We camped at places that had showers.  We did use the porta potty.  It was great.  As a kid I loved it.  Like a playhouse on wheels.  Not sure how my parents liked it.  They sold it after about a year or two.  Then we got a pull behind pop up.  Everyone has different preferences for what they consider enough space.  I watch a family of 5 on YouTube (they also have a cat) and they travel in a truck camper for weeks (if not months) at a time.  You know yourself best....Are you gonna be OK with it?  Are you only going to be making short stays?  All the tanks have a much lower capacity than larger rigs...so you'll be using/filling/dumping more frequently.  My husband and I are seriously thinking of living near full time in a truck camper....we are thinking the smaller the better (less weight - more places - easier) while balancing out what we'll require for storage.  Plenty of folks out there traveling full time (or near it) in truck campers.

Having done just the opposite (TC to 5th wheel actually) a few years ago, my inclination is to say that I'd advise against this transition.  However, facts and observations are probably more valuable than my opinion; your perceptions and tolerance levels for certain things may differ from mine.

1) My TC weighed about the same as the Lance you are contemplating.  It was way more of  a burden to load, unload and haul than the 30 foot fifth wheel we swapped for.  Obviously a fifth wheel may be an unfair comparison to your TT, but my Dodge 3500 is way more steady and comfortable with my conventional hitch boat in tow, weighing in at 12,500 with no sway bars, compared to two tons of camper in back.  Yes, I too was out of weight limits with my SRW 3500 and the TC.  It never really scared me, but I was hanging it all out there regarding liability.  It would have been indefensible if I had been involved in an injury accident.  There are already too many over weight recreational vehicles on the road, including more than half of all TCs by my guess.  Don't be one more of those who disregard the limits please.

2) Heed what others have already mentioned; weight limits.  You are way over GVWR with just a 3900 base weight slide in camper. Add fuel, supplies and other gear, along with your wife, kid and dog if you have one - it's  as serious weight exceedence.  Some folks will say "well, as long as you don't exceed tire or axle weights, you're okay (I disagree), but even those limits require close scrutiny for your situation.  Forget about adding a horse trailer with actual horses on board.  Nothing short of a F-350 DRW is going to do what you propose within weight limits and safely.

3) Cost: chances are your Lance will set you back more money than your TT can return to you.  You will be in shock over the relative value; huge space and abundant amenities for pennies on the dollar with your TT, and a lot of compactness for a lot of money in the TC.

4) Camp set-up: with either rig, we wanted local transportation if camping for more than one night in a particular spot.  The TC is a PIA to drop and level compared to the Fifth wheel.  And reloading is several magnitudes more difficult with the TC.  Sometimes we would use leveling blocks under the truck tires to get close to level, then unbuckle the tie downs and fine tune the level with our jacks.  Good for one night, but tough luck if you need wheels to go exploring.

With all the above said, we plan to keep the fifth wheel and buy a light weight TC, just for the purpose of back country access.  And for the possibility of towing a small boat, or whatever.  I love truck campers and they clearly fill a very specific niche in the RV world.  But what you are envisioning appears to be a recipe for disappointment.  The capabilities you seek are not available with that camper and an F-250.  But the point I'll emphasize the most for your family situation is the relative level of comfort.  It's like moving from a third floor tiny apartment to a large house in the country.  Our first time out in the TC, it happened to snow on Memorial Day Weekend.  Sure, that small space gets nice and toasty with the furnace running and a stove burner preparing hot chocolate, but what had been planned as an outdoor day ended up as a huddle around the dinette playing board games.  The kids were whining and miserable.  Each time we visited a neighbor in their trailer (similar to what we ended up with later), we were in awe regarding their space and comfort level.  Will we enjoy a TC once again, especially when it gets us places our fifth wheel would never dream of?  Of course.  We know exactly what to expect.  And that the alternative would be a tent.  We also will have the big rig available when camp access is less of an issue.  Good luck with your decision.  You're off to a good start, asking questions.

We had a cabover camper many years ago.

Yes, you can detach it at the campground and just use the truck to run around in with no problem.

Things are going to be pretty tight in that baby though, especially after having used a larger RV.

Can you even haul a camper on a short bed truck?

Assuming your bed is in the cabover,will you be happy climbing in and out of that bed?
We had a class c MH for many years with our bed in the cabover, and got really tired of climbing in and out of that bed.

We went from a 30 ft 5er to a truck camper.  It was ok if we were near a toilet, if it wasn't raining when need for the toilet came about.  It was okay for one person to get dressed at a time.  It warmed up quickly. 
What I'm saying is that for a one night excursion it was ok, not great. 

We got a 29' Class C Winnebago Minnie.  Love it.        BTW our 22 year old loves the TC. But it is difficult to load and unload.

Mike Leslie

Mike Leslie said:
We went from a 30 ft 5er to a truck camper.  It was ok if we were near a toilet, if it wasn't raining when need for the toilet came about.  It was okay for one person to get dressed at a time.  It warmed up quickly. 
What I'm saying is that for a one night excursion it was ok, not great. 

We got a 29' Class C Winnebago Minnie.  Love it.        BTW our 22 year old loves the TC. But it is difficult to load and unload.

Mike Leslie

You must have had a tiny camper.

YaddaYadda said:
alicat150........did you finally buy something ?

Did you notice the OP posted this almost 9 months ago and it was the first and last post from them on this forum?

I could be wrong but I doubt you'll get a reply from the OP.

skyhammer said:
I see people removing their camper all the time. I take my camper off every time I get the chance.It only takes about 5 minutes, including leveling it up once it is on the ground. Electric, remote controlled jacks make it easy.
It only takes about 10 minutes to put the camper back on.

X2.  Plus a lot of reply's from non TC owners.  Just imagine the fun of having all you need in a compact space, being able to drive it around and park in normal spots or drop it off in a few minutes.  Sure a little cozy, but great shelter etc.  I take less time popping the TC off then most spend disconnecting their towed.

Just saying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom