EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Windows error scammers at it again  (Read 2247 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Windows error scammers at it again
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
For several years scammers have been calling folks, claiming to be from the "Microsoft Windows investigative team" or some such. They tell folks that their computers have reported various Windows errors, and that they're going to help diagnose and eliminate the problems. Unsuspecting victims are asked to download an app, which gives the scammers remote access to their computer. From there, they're able to harvest all kinds of stuff, including bank log-in credentials.

The calls were usually from the 540 area code, and made by someone with an (Asian) Indian accent. I've received a couple of these calls in the last few days, now coming from the 701 area code. The phone numbers are probably spoofed.

Hopefully, our members are savvy enough to recognize these scams for what they are, but maybe you could forewarn folks you know who may fall for them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:49:26 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Fitz

• ---
Re: Windows error scammers at it again
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:59 AM »
Isn't Caller ID great.  And we should all remember.....legit companies almost NEVER call you.  And I ALWAYS just hang up on Robo Calls.

fitz
Retired AF Navigator
Camped over many years in pretty much everything.  Just gettin started as a Full Timer....lovin it so far.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »
These folks are ripe for reverse scamming.  Just agree to everything but do nothing.  OK, I have the app.  OK, it is running.  Why aren't you helping me.  I want to talk to your supervisor.  I want you to give me a refund right now, hello?
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Aye Bill, folks have come up with all kinds of "reverse scams". A google search finds lots of such stories.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »
And people still give out Social Security numbers and bank info all the time over the phone.
 Reminds me of a woman this past winter who supposedly spent all of her money ($600) with the intensions of winner that huge Power Ball lotto they had. Of course, she did not win. So then she put an add on the "Go Fund Me" site and was asking just $1.00 from people so she could buy food for her kids and get transportation to get home. What a rip off. Within a few hours, she was taken off that site.  The nerve of people trying to get something for nothing. Almost sounds political. 
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gregg

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
A heads up, there is another group who claim to be from Dell.  They even call you by your name but that is easy with a phone database.  Have a neighbor who fell for the Microsoft scam and they have an Apple product.  She is an attorney so we will just leave it at that. ::)
Make everyday a good day.
2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Harley Ultra CVO

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 01:51:06 PM »
She is an attorney so we will just leave it at that.

They use spoofed phone numbers, so good luck to her tracking them down. I'd be interested if she gets anywhere with it.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
She is an attorney so we will just leave it at that. ::)

They use spoofed phone numbers, so good luck to her tracking them down. I'd be interested if she gets anywhere with it.

Hahaha - I took it as "She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer..."  ;D

But seriously, thanks for the heads-up. Good time to remind the wife and kids never to give out info, click links, etc.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

trdiller

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
Since I work in the IT industry I love to play these folks.  I'll ask  them what ip address they have for my computer. They usually give me a bogus address. Then I  string them along until I get tired of them and tell them I am running Linux.

These folks are ripe for reverse scamming.  Just agree to everything but do nothing.  OK, I have the app.  OK, it is running.  Why aren't you helping me.  I want to talk to your supervisor.  I want you to give me a refund right now, hello?

tvman44

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »
Got a call from them last week.  I cannot list on here what I told them as the post would get deleted, but you can imagine.  ;D

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
downloaded and install an app called "should I answer". It has a data base of scammers and spam number that can be added to and filters them without even bothering to ring. I have had it for 5 months now and so far it has been great. If a number not in the database is not listed as negative it will allow it to ring but alert you that it is an unknown.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:39:40 PM by catblaster »
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
My next door neighbor has a computer I built for her.  She's 83 and has no understanding of computers.  She got a message that scared her (it was about upgrading to W10) so she was in a panic.  'She asked me to come over and look at it.  By the time I got there (15 minutes later) 'Windows' had called, she gave them access and they did their dirty work and were in the process of trying to change her out of her bank account number, PIN, and social security number.

I warned her to cover her ears when I got the phone.  She didn't and she was shocked.  Never heard me mad before.

I had to restore her computer from a 2 year old backup, and then run 2 years worth of updates.  20 minutes of actual work but 16 hours elapsed.  And I have a very fast ISP.  (175 Mbps)

The other alternative was to buy a new computer.  Still cheaper than having your bank account drained.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »
I warned her to cover her ears when I got the phone.  She didn't and she was shocked.  Never heard me mad before.

Just told my other half that story, and she reminded me of my response to one of the scammers last evening.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
Them and the IRS scammers deserve it!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
This was only the second time I've said bad words in the presence of Chris in 36 years of marriage. I wasn't mad because of my call, but I was mad as you-know-what because of the folks they're able to con.

A few years old, but this report says that only 59% of seniors 65+ have been online. I can imagine kids and grandkids encouraging their seniors to buy computers or iPads to "get online and talk with the grandkids".

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
This was only the second time I've said bad words in the presence of Chris in 36 years of marriage.

What were the details of the 1st time?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
Quote from: Rene T
What were the details of the 1st time?

Nowt to do with scammers; It was as simple as me talking to my table neighbor at a group dinner, when someone (inebriated) walks in and tries to take over the conversation. I was more mad about the fact that I swore than I was about the incident.

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »
  A man from Wales,, mad because he swore??,, NO WAY.!!>>>D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:46:06 PM by utahclaimjumper »
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Gregg

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
I was playing along with one of them.  I asked how my PC could have been hacked.  He asked if I had allowed someone from overseas log into my computer recently and I said no.  He proceeded to tell me that well I could have been infected by a web site then, but not to worry he could help me.  I acted like I knew almost nothing about computers. He said that was OK because he could remote into my computer and show me how it was being done.  At that point I told him, didn't he just warn me about having someone from overseas having access to my computer?  He hung up! ;D
Make everyday a good day.
2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Harley Ultra CVO

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
One of my favorite ways of harassing them is to say I recognize their accent and ask if they are Hindi.  If they say yes I say 'doesn't  Hindi culture and religion include the concept of karma and reincarnation?  What is this criminal activity going to do to you in your next life?  Perhaps you'll come back as a dung beetle?

My other favorite is to say "It's done.  There's blood everywhere.  Send the cleaner" and hang up.

oldme

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
I had a good laugh with one of the Asian guys.
He did not understand English very well.
So I played along for awhile.

Then I told him he was full of $%&*.
He yes.
I said "you are full of $%&*"?

He said "Yes, I am full of $%&*".
Then a co-worker told him to hang up.

I laughed until I cried.

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
I had one call me once. I told him oh good, hold on.... then laid the phone down next to my dog who, at the time was very exuberantly licking himself and making loud slurping noises. After a few minutes, I picked the phone back up. I thought those guys werent supposed to ever hang up on a call.  ;)
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

Hosted by Over The Network