EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: One or two cellphones?  (Read 1365 times)

Steelers1407

• ---
  • 4 years until retirement
One or two cellphones?
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »
Question for the full timers. I'm guessing that when changing locations, sometimes you pick a camping area that turns out to not be very receptive (if not at all) to your primary cell phone carrier. Do you carry a separate phone from another carrier (with just purchased minutes) in hopes that the carrier has a nearby tower that is receptive to your new location? I just want to make sure that my family still has access to me should this be the case. If I am completely wrong on this subject, please educate me. Thank you in advance.

mariekie4

• ---
Re: One or two cellphones?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »
I have AT&T and my husband has Verizon. It works for us; unless you are in a very remote area, like deep forests etc.
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.       George S. Patton.

2007 Winnebago Journey 35'
2011 Jeep Liberty

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:00:31 AM »
I carry a spare phone in my glove box that is active on Tracfone. Costs me $6 a month to keep it active. I have it in case I loose my primary phone in times when it can't get a signal. However modern day cellural networks are very robust. I just drove across country and never had a problem finding a signal.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

JDOnTheGo

• ---
    • JdFinley.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
Steelers1407, my very unofficial observations here in the west (NM, AZ, CO, MT, ID, WY, UT) is that Verizon has the widest coverage.  Thus; I have a Verizon phone and tablet with a spare (older) phone.  If one were to have a service that had lesser coverage, then having a few options may be helpful, or it may not - impossible to know.  I have found a signal amplifer to be very helpful.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102 EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
We use an external cellular antenna with an amp and inside antenna. This is not a cradle type setup, Our phones work anywhere inside our rid as well as our hot spot device. Don't know much about it, my DW is the geek and I'm the wrench, we're an analog and digital couple.

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

Steelers1407

• ---
  • 4 years until retirement
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses.

Moebius

• ---
  • Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
    • Our RV Dream
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:06:11 AM »
We may go full time in the future and I have already started exploring options. My concern is data since I can work anywhere I have internet. We have our cell phones on AT&T that we can turn into hotspots for data. I also have a Verizon MiFi dedicated mobile hotspot that I do prepaid on, so I can add data when I need it as opposed to having a recurring monthly bill. Having different networks is always the best bet if you want to hedge your bets on coverage.
----------
Chris, Amber, and 5 y/o Christopher
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35B
Ford F53 Chasis
362 hp 3 valve Triton V10 engine
Tampa Bay, FL (Pinellas County)
Our Blog: www.OurRVDream.com

Hosted by Over The Network