One or two cellphones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelers1407

Question for the full timers. I'm guessing that when changing locations, sometimes you pick a camping area that turns out to not be very receptive (if not at all) to your primary cell phone carrier. Do you carry a separate phone from another carrier (with just purchased minutes) in hopes that the carrier has a nearby tower that is receptive to your new location? I just want to make sure that my family still has access to me should this be the case. If I am completely wrong on this subject, please educate me. Thank you in advance.

I carry a spare phone in my glove box that is active on Tracfone. Costs me $6 a month to keep it active. I have it in case I loose my primary phone in times when it can't get a signal. However modern day cellural networks are very robust. I just drove across country and never had a problem finding a signal.

Steelers1407, my very unofficial observations here in the west (NM, AZ, CO, MT, ID, WY, UT) is that Verizon has the widest coverage.  Thus; I have a Verizon phone and tablet with a spare (older) phone.  If one were to have a service that had lesser coverage, then having a few options may be helpful, or it may not - impossible to know.  I have found a signal amplifer to be very helpful.

We use an external cellular antenna with an amp and inside antenna. This is not a cradle type setup, Our phones work anywhere inside our rid as well as our hot spot device. Don't know much about it, my DW is the geek and I'm the wrench, we're an analog and digital couple.

Bill

We may go full time in the future and I have already started exploring options. My concern is data since I can work anywhere I have internet. We have our cell phones on AT&T that we can turn into hotspots for data. I also have a Verizon MiFi dedicated mobile hotspot that I do prepaid on, so I can add data when I need it as opposed to having a recurring monthly bill. Having different networks is always the best bet if you want to hedge your bets on coverage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom