EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Need some boat advice !  (Read 2870 times)

Campingnut16

• ---
Need some boat advice !
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
Since campers and boats kind of go hand in hand I'm assuming there's also a lot of boat knowledge on here .  Because my location puts me close to two fantastic lakes I have been tossing around the idea of a boat . Would really like a v8 inboard boat I THINK . They sound great and the motor should be more familiar to me as a mechanic. Not against an outboard but I know they're a different animal . What would be some good boats to look out for on a budget say under 10,000 . What are motors to avoid and ones to look for ? Some of these inboard engines aren't familiar to me at all and others are obviously similar such as the 305,350 and 454

Foxysdad

• ---
Re: Need some boat advice !
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »
Inboard motor have legs and they are a problem... more than the motor. Outboards have definate advantages  the main on is you can take them to a shop for repairs and still have your boat available. Outboard motors are very reliable and most boats have two, the main one for speed thee other small one for trolling . Also can get you home ( slowly if the main engine fails.
Just my 2 cents
Howard
Howard Kelly, Sherry Bryon, and our furry creature Foxy
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax
2011 Trail Blazer trailer
Always looking for SUNSHINE

Life is short, dance like no one is watching

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:14:43 PM »
Well I know there are certain outboards to avoid . Just not sure which ones . I want something sporty something fun I can play around with , fish with or take the family out too .

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:23:45 PM »
I had a 9.9 Mercury for my dingy,  no problems and dw could start it with first pull  no problem, and that was years ago
 Good luck finding the right deal for you
Howard Kelly, Sherry Bryon, and our furry creature Foxy
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax
2011 Trail Blazer trailer
Always looking for SUNSHINE

Life is short, dance like no one is watching

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »
I'll second the suggestion of a Mercury outboard; They're almost bullet proof. Have a 60hp on my fishing boat, and it beats the 40hp Yamaha on our RIB (dinghy). Depending on the size of boat (maybe 18-24 feet), you'd want a somewhat larger outboard for skiing.

Twin screws would give you better maneuverability in close quarters, but at a correspondingly higher price.

One advantage of an outboard (or two) is that it takes up virtually no space inside the boat compared with an inboard (actually inboard/outboard, or I/O). But there's something to be said for those big-block Chevy engines that you're familiar with. BTW the "sound" of those comes from the dry stacks (i.e. above-water exhausts).
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
Bowriders are good all-round family boats (that's a style, not a brand). Also, tri-hull designs are also good for the lakes. If you're not too worried about top speed, pontoon boats are great lake boats and maximize the usable 'space' on deck. Try googling for all 3 styles and see which brands and models come up.

oldenuftoknowbetter

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
Another benefit of an outboard if you live in the winter freeze zone...you don't have to winterize an outboard.  I live in NC and own a bowrider with a 4.3L V6 Penta with an OMC stern drive.  I have to get it winterized before the first hard freeze and can't take it our until the freeze threat is over. 
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultralite 26BHS
2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.0L w/Proseries WDH

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
When you say "inboard", do you really mean a true direct drive inboard, or do you mean a stern-drive "inboard/outboard"?  I/Os are much more common.  I have a '71 Century Resorter with a Chrysler 340ci/250hp inboard.  It was a fun boat in it's prime, but now gets very little use and I think may have a stuck piston ring.  Inboards do sound great, particularly with straight pipes, but they have some disadvantages.  They are not very maneuverable at slow speeds, because they steer with a rudder and the prop is fixed, unlike an outboard or I/O.  Steering in reverse is almost impossible.  Cockpit space can be a little limited, as there is an engine in the middle of it.  Most are designed for skiing or wakeboarding.  They are rarely set up for fishing, although there are a few exceptions.  In your price range, if you really wanted an inboard, an older fiberglass Century Resorter or Coronado, or a Correct-Craft (Nautique) or Master-Craft ski boat would be the most likely options.

Or I'll sell you a Century that might need a little engine work for $2K, FOB Northern Minnesota.   ;)
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »
Another benefit of an outboard if you live in the winter freeze zone...you don't have to winterize an outboard.  I live in NC and own a bowrider with a 4.3L V6 Penta with an OMC stern drive.  I have to get it winterized before the first hard freeze and can't take it our until the freeze threat is over.

And you can navigate in much shallower water with an outboard motor.  just raise it and as long as it's pumping cooling water, you're good to go. 
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
I guess what I meant was an inboard/outboard not the old school prop and Rutter style. I love the idea of captains call exhaust and a small block v8 or heck even a big block out on the water but I want something
That is reliable, easier to work on and I do want
Some speed.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
just raise it and as long as it's pumping cooling water, you're good to go.

That works with an I/O also.

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
Bowriders are good all-round family boats (that's a style, not a brand). Also, tri-hull designs are also good for the lakes. If you're not too worried about top speed, pontoon boats are great lake boats and maximize the usable 'space' on deck. Try googling for all 3 styles and see which brands and models come up.
I'll take a look I like pontoons but most have tiny little outboards and I would need one with some juice

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
I'll take a look I like pontoons but most have tiny little outboards and I would need one with some juice

You can water ski behind some of them. The motors are big enough.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 10:58:01 PM »
I like pontoons but most have tiny little outboards and I would need one with some juice

I realize you're not looking for a new one, but just as an example - this pontoon boat has a 150hp engine.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »
That should pull a skier or two.  ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »
I realize you're not looking for a new one, but just as an example - this pontoon boat has a 150hp engine.
That is very nice I have looked at pontoons and deck boats as well as a lot of others.  The pontoons would be ideal for big outings wouldn't mind a fish and ski either ... Pontoons require big space I forgot to mention that I want to be able to either park in my garage or next to driveway so pontoon might be out of question .

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »
Did you decide which style of boat you want/need?

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 12:18:46 AM »
After a lot of reading online I think an outboard is the way to go . However Now that I've decided that I'm having trouble figuring out which type of boat to search for. A fish and ski would be great but they're usually pretty small limited seating, haven't found any affordable pontoons without a baby motor on them and not sure what else to search for that has an outboard .

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 12:28:22 AM »
Also I loved the idea of a cuddy cabin or cabin cruiser etc however the maintenance requirements on the inboard/outboard motors has me concerned I can do any work myself however it's calling for things like manifolds every 5-7 years costs would add up real quick .

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 01:08:38 AM »
It sounds like a 'bow rider' style of boat would fill the bill for you; There'll be plenty of seating and there are numerous models available with outboard engines.

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 10:27:55 PM »
It sounds like a 'bow rider' style of boat would fill the bill for you; There'll be plenty of seating and there are numerous models available with outboard engines.
most of the boats I like have I/o set ups I want plenty of seating ! Not a pontoon fan either . Is an I/o going to cost me more than an outboard ?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
You can check out prices on boats.com

Campingnut16

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 10:47:28 PM »
I really like the four winns liberators they really get my heart racing haha :)

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 10:03:04 PM »
Best boat I ever had was a Bluewave center console/outboard Yamaha 4 stroke. Just my .02  I am sure a boat forum would have more experts.
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. Yes I am old school.         2007 Honda VTX double dark side

malexander

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
2 years ago, I bought a 1999 Bayliner 2050 LS for $8K. It has a Mercruiser 5.7 with Alpha 1 outdrive. It had been kept inside & covered when not in use, it was/is in pristine condition. This boat will run 57 mph with 5 people aboard. It'll pull 2 tubes with at least 2 people on each tube with no trouble at all, haven't seen how fast it'll pull'em tho.

I know Bayliners are said to be "entry-level" boats. But, my Fleetwood Bounder is said to be "entry-level" also. I'm not sure I know what entry level means, but I'm very happy with my cheap stuff. :) They are serving me VERY well.

I actually found my boat on craigslist.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:47:48 PM by malexander »
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

skyhammer

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »

I have a 20' jet boat with a 5.7, 325 HP chevy engine and I don't have to winterize it any more than I would have if the engine was in a truck. I run my engine in below 10 degree weather in the PNW and I do nothing different for the engine. I do have a problem with my Yamaha outboard if I don't drain the water by tipping the engine down to drain the water from the drive. It will freeze if I don't and water won't come out the pee hole.
2011 Ford DRW,4X4
Host Everest, 11.5', triple slide

skyhammer

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
And you can navigate in much shallower water with an outboard motor.  just raise it and as long as it's pumping cooling water, you're good to go.
With my jet boat I can navigate in water a prop boat would never consider. I travel up rivers all the time in 4-6" of water at 30+ MPH.
2011 Ford DRW,4X4
Host Everest, 11.5', triple slide

Hosted by Over The Network