Need some boat advice !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campingnut16

Since campers and boats kind of go hand in hand I'm assuming there's also a lot of boat knowledge on here .  Because my location puts me close to two fantastic lakes I have been tossing around the idea of a boat . Would really like a v8 inboard boat I THINK . They sound great and the motor should be more familiar to me as a mechanic. Not against an outboard but I know they're a different animal . What would be some good boats to look out for on a budget say under 10,000 . What are motors to avoid and ones to look for ? Some of these inboard engines aren't familiar to me at all and others are obviously similar such as the 305,350 and 454

Inboard motor have legs and they are a problem... more than the motor. Outboards have definate advantages  the main on is you can take them to a shop for repairs and still have your boat available. Outboard motors are very reliable and most boats have two, the main one for speed thee other small one for trolling . Also can get you home ( slowly if the main engine fails.
Just my 2 cents
Howard

Well I know there are certain outboards to avoid . Just not sure which ones . I want something sporty something fun I can play around with , fish with or take the family out too .

I had a 9.9 Mercury for my dingy,  no problems and dw could start it with first pull  no problem, and that was years ago
Good luck finding the right deal for you

I'll second the suggestion of a Mercury outboard; They're almost bullet proof. Have a 60hp on my fishing boat, and it beats the 40hp Yamaha on our RIB (dinghy). Depending on the size of boat (maybe 18-24 feet), you'd want a somewhat larger outboard for skiing.

Twin screws would give you better maneuverability in close quarters, but at a correspondingly higher price.

One advantage of an outboard (or two) is that it takes up virtually no space inside the boat compared with an inboard (actually inboard/outboard, or I/O). But there's something to be said for those big-block Chevy engines that you're familiar with. BTW the "sound" of those comes from the dry stacks (i.e. above-water exhausts).

Bowriders are good all-round family boats (that's a style, not a brand). Also, tri-hull designs are also good for the lakes. If you're not too worried about top speed, pontoon boats are great lake boats and maximize the usable 'space' on deck. Try googling for all 3 styles and see which brands and models come up.

Another benefit of an outboard if you live in the winter freeze zone...you don't have to winterize an outboard.  I live in NC and own a bowrider with a 4.3L V6 Penta with an OMC stern drive.  I have to get it winterized before the first hard freeze and can't take it our until the freeze threat is over. 

When you say "inboard", do you really mean a true direct drive inboard, or do you mean a stern-drive "inboard/outboard"?  I/Os are much more common.  I have a '71 Century Resorter with a Chrysler 340ci/250hp inboard.  It was a fun boat in it's prime, but now gets very little use and I think may have a stuck piston ring.  Inboards do sound great, particularly with straight pipes, but they have some disadvantages.  They are not very maneuverable at slow speeds, because they steer with a rudder and the prop is fixed, unlike an outboard or I/O.  Steering in reverse is almost impossible.  Cockpit space can be a little limited, as there is an engine in the middle of it.  Most are designed for skiing or wakeboarding.  They are rarely set up for fishing, although there are a few exceptions.  In your price range, if you really wanted an inboard, an older fiberglass Century Resorter or Coronado, or a Correct-Craft (Nautique) or Master-Craft ski boat would be the most likely options.

Or I'll sell you a Century that might need a little engine work for $2K, FOB Northern Minnesota.  ;)

oldenuftoknowbetter said:
Another benefit of an outboard if you live in the winter freeze zone...you don't have to winterize an outboard.  I live in NC and own a bowrider with a 4.3L V6 Penta with an OMC stern drive.  I have to get it winterized before the first hard freeze and can't take it our until the freeze threat is over.

And you can navigate in much shallower water with an outboard motor.  just raise it and as long as it's pumping cooling water, you're good to go. 

I guess what I meant was an inboard/outboard not the old school prop and Rutter style. I love the idea of captains call exhaust and a small block v8 or heck even a big block out on the water but I want something
That is reliable, easier to work on and I do want
Some speed.

Tom said:
Bowriders are good all-round family boats (that's a style, not a brand). Also, tri-hull designs are also good for the lakes. If you're not too worried about top speed, pontoon boats are great lake boats and maximize the usable 'space' on deck. Try googling for all 3 styles and see which brands and models come up.
I'll take a look I like pontoons but most have tiny little outboards and I would need one with some juice

Campingnut16 said:
I'll take a look I like pontoons but most have tiny little outboards and I would need one with some juice

You can water ski behind some of them. The motors are big enough.

Tom said:
I realize you're not looking for a new one, but just as an example - this pontoon boat has a 150hp engine.
That is very nice I have looked at pontoons and deck boats as well as a lot of others.  The pontoons would be ideal for big outings wouldn't mind a fish and ski either ... Pontoons require big space I forgot to mention that I want to be able to either park in my garage or next to driveway so pontoon might be out of question .

Did you decide which style of boat you want/need?

After a lot of reading online I think an outboard is the way to go . However Now that I've decided that I'm having trouble figuring out which type of boat to search for. A fish and ski would be great but they're usually pretty small limited seating, haven't found any affordable pontoons without a baby motor on them and not sure what else to search for that has an outboard .

Also I loved the idea of a cuddy cabin or cabin cruiser etc however the maintenance requirements on the inboard/outboard motors has me concerned I can do any work myself however it's calling for things like manifolds every 5-7 years costs would add up real quick .

It sounds like a 'bow rider' style of boat would fill the bill for you; There'll be plenty of seating and there are numerous models available with outboard engines.

Back
Top Bottom