2016 Nissan NV3500 SL 1st time towing anything ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeavenlyAngel777

We just purchased a NV, first: to fit our family of 7, second: to purchase a travel trailer.  I've read a lot about all types of vehicles towing but NV's are new to the market (I think since 2012).  We are about to purchase a Keystone Bullet: dry weight (5800); GWVR (7600); hitch (760).  Our Nissan NV GVWR is 9430....

Are we good⁉️

And we are having Camping World put on the sway bar, and WD hitch...does it matter the brand?

Probably not adequate for that trailer plus your family. At best, marginally adequate.  Check the Max Tow rating, but what I see on the Nissan web site says that with the V8 engine and the Class IV tow package, plus a WD (weight Distributing) hitch on the trailer, the max trailer weight would be 8700 lbs. That assumes just a driver and one light passenger in the van, so your family of 7 is going to reduce the available tow capacity. With just the standard hitch it is only 6200 max. Since you don't know the actual loaded weight of the trailer yet, you must assume that the trailer 7600 lb GVWR is the weight you will tow (and with gear for 7 people, it probably will be near max anyway).

The next worry is trailer tongue weight vs the Payload Capacity of the NV3500. Again, the weight of 7 people plus their gear is a concern because it detracts from the ability to carry the trailer tongue weight. The max payload for the V6 is 2752 and less for the V8 (2587).  The actual for your particular van is probably less than that because of optional equipment; check the sticker on the driver door post for max payload on yours.  The trailer tongue weight is going to be in the vicinity of 760 lbs. And estimate the weight of the famliy and the stuff they usually have with them in the van.

NV3500 specs:  http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nv-passenger/specs?tool=vlp.nvpass.regional.specs.link

So, is this NV3500 a V8 or V6, and what towing package does it have?

It's a V8 with... Max tongue weight is 2000.. Per writing on bumper.  I thought tow limit of vehicle assumed some weight inside vehicle? I'm confused ?  Hitch, tow capacity is 10,000.  Someone please explain.  As for family it's 2 adults and 5 children... Total weight is 815.

The tow weight is the BIGGEST NUMBER they can claim - for advertising purposes.  That tow weight is based on a base model, NO OPTIONS, and only 2 150# each passengers.  They never said YOUR van could tow that much.

The proper calculation, which most salesmen do not understand is as follows:

As Gary said, find the yellow label on the driver door B pillar with the max payload.  This is specific to YOUR vehicle, and includes all factory installed options.  Stated differently, this is the van GVWR minus actual weight of the van as it left the factory.  This is the most weight your van was designed to carry.

From this number, subtract the total weight of ALL passengers, pets, and cargo to be carried in the van.  Subtract 80# for the WD hitch.  The remainder is the MAX tongue weight the van can handle, considering what else is in the van.

Yes, these numbers are very different from what was advertised.  Their excuse is you did not read the microscopic footnotes in the literature.  The footnotes state the number must be reduced by installed options and passengers and cargo in the van.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom