Enbrel Delivery While On The Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retiredcajunlady

I am hoping someone can answer this question:  I have to take two Enbrel shots a week. It comes from a specialty pharmacy once a month and must be refrigerated.  Is anyone else on Enbrel and have to have it delivered while on the road?  How is this accomplished?  I would appreciate any help given.  Thanks so much!

While not on the road, we do spend winters in Fl and the remainder of the year in NC.  When I place the order, I just give them where I want it shipped.  I use Acredo (sp?) Pharmacy.  They ask me when I want it delivered and the Enbrel always arrives on time.  Also, it is my understanding that Enbrel can go several days without refrigeration....but you should verify that.

Great information!  Thank you so very much for the response.  I did read where it can go off refrigeration for a short time.  Thanks for taking the time to answer.

We are part timers. Traveling 6-7 months of the year. We have our mail sent to a UPS store at home and forwarded to us at campground or To a UPS store on our route. Our meds are not required to be refrigerated, but are mailed monthly. We merely change the delivery address to a UPS store on our route and call that store to tell them to expect a package, giving them our phone number and requesting a call when the package arrives. Usually a small charge for the service. Has worked flawlessly for years. We don't have our meds sent to campgrounds as some won't accept mail and we rarely make reservations.

We don't take enbrel, but do have insulin sent to our current park where ever we are. It is sent refregerated and we haven't had a problem in over five years.  And we have found only two parks where we could not receive mail. If it were an issue, we simply wouldn't stay at them.

Erhie

Ernie: It is my understanding the USDA has ruled that insulin does not have to have a prescription. One would have to know type, strength, and dose, but they should be able to pick up insulin at any pharmacy.

Frank

Thank you alll for responding.  You have helped me!!  Have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend.

I take Orencia which has to be refrigerated and shipped overnight delivery but can get a two months supply at a time. When I used to take Enbrel I was able to get a 3 month supply from my mail order pharmacy. This made it a lot easier to arrange delivery. You might check and see if you can get permission for getting more medication in one shipment. I know some pharmacies don't want to do that with expensive medicine in case you should go off of it, but it's worth a try.

Also, I don't think I would want to trust taking any biologic that had not been kept cold the entire time. Not sure what effect re-refrigerating it would have on the medicine. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Vicki

Thank you all for such great information and ideas!  I will check with the pharmacy when the time comes.  Again, thank you all so much.

Frank Hurst said:
Ernie: It is my understanding the USDA has ruled that insulin does not have to have a prescription. One would have to know type, strength, and dose, but they should be able to pick up insulin at any pharmacy.

Frank
That is not correct and the USDA has nothing to do with it. It is the FDA.  Once upon a time way back Regular insulin, NPH and Ulta lente could be purchased over the counter.  The most common insulins of today are of synthetic nature and all require a prescription.  Also note that because they are synthetic and more pure, they can be left at room temps for longer periods of time. Some of them have to be thrown out 28 days after opening a new bottle or pen.

If your insurance will allow a Walgreens or Walmart to fill your Enbrel you could get it  at a store close to you.  Some insurance plans allow you to only get it through the mail at specialty pharmacies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom