2006 3500RL Air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kidster

Hello everyone.I have a 2006 Montana 3500RL and wondering if a second rooftop air conditioner can be installed in the bedroom.
There is an electrical box in the ceiling which I have not opened but says something about air conditioner hookup.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

remove the cover and make sure the wires are in the box, if the wires are there remove the roof vent and install the a/c in the place of the vent, connect the wires  and install cover. the hard part is getting the a/c on the roof. when you get the a/c make sure you get the seal to go with it.

First, welcome to the forum.

Yes you can. I just did it on my Montana High Country.
That electrical box contains the wires for the AC. You'll have to buy one with the controls on the AC itself. You won't be able to use the wall thermostat. I purchased a 13,500 NON DUCTED AC. It has to be non-ducted. Remove the vent and fan, put electrical wire nuts on the ends of the wires and tuck them in between the roof and ceiling so they are out of the way. It would be a good idea to tape the wire nuts to the wires.  Then you'll need to snake a 110 volt wire from inside the vent hole to the electrical box between the roof and ceiling. 
You should find a circuit breaker in you RV entrance panel probably dedicated just for that front AC. Good luck. It's not hard at all as long as you're have a little bit of electrical background.
When tightening the four hold down bolts on the AC, just tighten them a little beyond snug. You don't want to over compress the thick foam gasket between the AC and roof. In a year, go back and retighten them again because the foam will relax a little.

Rene T said:

That electrical box contains the wires for the AC. You'll have to buy one with the controls on the AC itself. You won't be able to use the wall thermostat. I purchased a 13,500 NON DUCTED AC. It has to be non-ducted. Remove the vent and fan, put electrical wire nuts on the ends of the wires and tuck them in between the roof and ceiling so they are out of the way. It would be a good idea to tape the wire nuts to the wires.  Then you'll need to snake a 110 volt wire from inside the vent hole to the electrical box between the roof and ceiling. 
You should find a circuit breaker in you RV entrance panel probably dedicated just for that front AC. Good luck. It's not hard at all as long as you're have a little bit of electrical background.
When tightening the four hold down bolts on the AC, just tighten them a little beyond snug. You don't want to over compress the thick foam gasket between the AC and roof. In a year, go back and retighten them again because the foam will relax a little.

Great.Thanks for your help.I actually replaced the main unit and had my old one repaired so figured I should put it to good use.
Thanks Again.

Rene T said:

Thanks Rene
That doesn't sound too difficult.

Kidster said:
Great.Thanks for your help.I actually replaced the main unit and had my old one repaired so figured I should put it to good use.
Thanks Again.

The main one was probably a ducted model so you'll have to contend with that. Also, your old unit probably used a wall thermostat for controls. I don't know how that's going to work for you.

I noticed in my manual for my thermostat there is a zone on it for a second air conditioner.
With any luck the wiring for it will already be there.
Thanks again.

Kidster said:
I noticed in my manual for my thermostat there is a zone on it for a second air conditioner.
With any luck the wiring for it will already be there.
Thanks again.

Mine didn't have that and there we're no extra thermostat wires in the ceiling. Besides, that AC would be pretty much for cooling the bedroom. I don't know how one thermostat would work when running both AC's off from it. I'm sure they do it somehow.

Not sure either.The thermostat is in the middle of the trailer so might work.
I don't know why they would put the AC in the back part of the living room
but I notice the newer ones have them in the middle now.
Thanks for your help and if it works I will let you know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom