Did I cause a propane leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debsmg

I decided to change my kitchen faucet to a pullout sprayer. I have not yet dewinterized so  there is antifreeze go in the lines.  While I was working I thought I smelled gas. The propane alarm did not sound. But I went out and shut off the valve anyway. My question is is the propane line black plastic?  It looks like I  May have knocked off a black plastic line inadvertently.  I will try and upload a picture. I will end up having the RV checked out before I turn the propane back on. I am just curious if that flimsy Black line is  for propane. I was probably stupid to try and change the faucet myself.

Deb

I am trying to attach photos

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 51
Don't worry ... the propane connection is metal pipe or copper tubing and connects behind the outside door on the water heater.

That looks like plastic loom used to protect own voltage electrical lines.  If you look closely it's split up one side so you can slip it over the electrical wires.  It probably just tucks inside the clamp on the black plastic electrical box though you might have to loosen the clamp to get it in place.

If you're smelling gas, is it possible you bumped one of the stove or oven knobs and turned it slightly on?

You are not stupid for trying to change out the faucet. I commend you for trying it. It is very simple. How far did you get.

Did you still smell gas after you shut the tank off? 

As Lou said, propane is fed through either black iron pipe or copper tubing. Looking at the top picture, the copper line over on the right side is probably the gas line for the water heater. 

Where you're talking about kitchen sink, you may have a air admittance valve that may be leaking a little and the smell of gas may actually be coming from your gray water tank. That valve would be located on you sink drain line. Follow the drain line away from the sink. It will probably go to a "Y". The piping will continue down and it will also go up maybe 1'. The valve will be on the end of that top pipe.  This is just a thought if you still smell gas after shutting of the propane tanks.  I know it's a new 29 foot class c Winnebago Aspect 27k so you could have some rotting food in the gray water tank left over from last season.

That black box looks to me like it's the electrical box protecting the backside of the water heater 110 Volt heating element.  If you ever burn out the element like when some people turn the power on without having water in the heater, that's where you'll have to go to change the element. Note: They can be purchased at Home Depot 

Thanks for your replies. I had a furnace exhaust leak in my house a couple years ago that made me rather ill so I guess this spooks me a bit. I did peel back the black tube and it appears to cover electrical wire as you said. I don't smell gas now. My other thought was that I did have the generator running for a bit. I have to close Windows on the drivers side or exhaust smells come in. I had shut the generator off a few minutes before then opened the windows. Anyway I will turn the propane tank back on and see if smell comes back tomorrow.

I did not quite finish the job yet. The lines to hook up hot and cold water were not long enough. THe hot one goes over top of water heater to hook up. So will go to Home Depot to pick up some water lines and adapters.  Got to figure out how to hang weight so it works correctly to pull sprayer back. It's a tight place to work and made me hesitant to try. But I feel I need to try. I plan to live in this full time in the future and want to feel I can manage some of this stuff on my own.

Thanks for the replies. Panic attack over.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom