weird seat belt nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrjohnz

In our '97 Fleetwood the carriage bolts that hold the seat belts under the couch have a weird "nut" on them.

Has anyone seen this before? I am trying to remove 1 set.

The rounded part is on top of the seat belt, the "nut" part is in the basement.

I can access the "nuts" from the compartment.

assuming it was just a "normal" nut and bolt...

how were you planning on holding the part that is "under the compartment" from turning  ?

chances are if you crawl around under the coach and stick your arm way up in there you may feel them. but even with professional tools it is likely not going to be a fun job.
Just about everything in a class A motorhome is built on top of something else.

Why are you unbolting the belt ?

This is the bottom view - the top is a rounded smooth carriage bolt head.
( hope I attached the pic right!)

Attachments

• IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4756.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 102
it looks like some kind of shouldered nut,    probably specific to the seat-belt industry.

maybe use vice grips

Kind of what I was thinking or else grind them off.
we are removing the couch and redoing the floor

what about center punching the carriage bolt head and then drill the top off with a 3/8" bit ?

maybe easier because your not on the ground working up ?

That's not a "nut" its a huckbolt used by many manufacturers and takes a special press to install.>>>Dan  (I used those in 1965 when working for the Freightliner heavy truck plant)

utahclaimjumper said:
That's not a "nut" its a huckbolt used by many manufacturers and takes a special press to install.>>>Dan  (I used those in 1965 when working for the Freightliner heavy truck plant)

Interesting. I never heard of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY_dD0MSXsc

utahclaimjumper said:

That's what I thought it was when I looked at the pic. Didn't realize they came that big. We use them in building aircraft. but the largest I've seen at work is 1/4".

We chisel the collar off when we have to remove them.

I'm surprised to see Huck bolts for seat belt anchors and didn't know Fleetwood used them at all back then. Usually they install seat belts and even chair frame anchors with standard nuts and bolts (not even carriage). I wonder if they are doing double-duty, holding that flooring cross member in place as well as anchoring the belts?

I am continually surprised at the tremendous amount of variation in construction methods, even within the same manufacturer. I think they must have somebody in charge of Surprises For Owners, charged with making sure none of us get too complacent in our knowledge!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom