2002 sightseer.. Electric All?.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garygordey

Just pulled or 2002 Sightseer out of storage, driving down the highway, and lost power. The motor died... Was able to pull over to the shoulder but had to have it towed home.
Checked batteries, they are old. Lights , radio work. But when I turn I turn the ignition all the way lights, radio quit. Motor doesn't turn over.
Suggestions???

Hi. Thanks for the replies

I cleaned and checked battery connections. Batteries are good (not old as I said in my original post).
When checking the starter I noticed a piece had broken off (pic attached) so I'm assuming that is the problem. Everything else seems ok ... Now just looking for the part ...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 24
Did you check the water level of the batteries and check the voltage?

What part are you looking for? Hard to see looking at the pictures what's missing. :eek: ::)

Looking for the cellinoid. The piece that broke off is on the black ring... It is hard to see but if u make the picture bewigged you can see a piece has broken off.
Yes I checked water levels and voltage... If you have other ideas,  I'm willing to check anything and everything! 

The only accurate way to test batteries in situ (hooked up) is with a hydrometer to check specific gravity assuming you have traditional flooded cell batteries.  A hydrometer is very inexpensive and will provide a very accurate state of charge.

As far as troubleshooting and in addition to what Gary mentioned, you could try bypassing all of the wiring between the battery bank and engine with a large gauge wire like a couple of jumper cables.  Ideally, find the main fuse block for the engine or you could go right to the starter solenoid.  That might let you crank the engine but it probably won't start/fun since the engine electronics aren't powered.  You would have to research to find the primary 12V feed to the engine/engine electronics.

Oh, I don't have a clue what your picture is showing, the quality is just too poor.

Back
Top Bottom