Anyone do Boston?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogimmeahome

Does anyone know of a good place to park a 32' Class C so we can take the subway to sightsee in Boston?

We've stayed at Wompatuck State Park in Hingham, and taken the RV to the municipal lot in Quincy where we took the ferry into downtown Boston.  Hingham is about 12 miles to downtown, there are trains and busses, but sorry I don't know about how accessable.  The camping area is a fair way from the main road. 
      We have camped around the Boston area many times, and that was the most convenient that we found.  Once we got the toad, we took it to town and parked under the Commons.

Ed

We also stayed at the state park in Hingham and took the ferry to Boston.  Worked well for us.

Unfortunately Being an old city and suburbs packed around it, getting close to Boston is not going to happen easily. Hingham is pretty close as said and you can take the ferry from Hewits Cove but you will need to drive there. Normandy Farms in Foxboro might be ok also because you can be at the Mansfield or Sharon Train stations in less the 15 minutes: again with a car. You might try North of Boston in the Salisbury area where you could catch a commuter bus. Good luck: Boston is a great city with lots of history and things to see and do.

We've stayed in Salisbury as well at the State Park, or in Hampton NH, right across the river.  But, you are at least an hour's commute to Boston, with heavy traffic.  Also, you are in the heart of tourist/beach area with crowds all summer.

Ed

Sounds like you're just looking for a lot to park while you ride the train in....not a CG.
I'm going to bet that at least some of the larger stations have a large parking lot with oversize vehicle spaces.

Have you checked the "T's" web site?
or perhaps called them?
http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/parking/

SargeW said:
We have reservations in Normandy Farms in July ourselves.  Looking forward to it.

Normandy Farms is big with lot's of kids. They have 2 outside pools and one inside pool.  Good luck.
OOPS, I forgot, They have 3 outdoor pools.

We've stayed at Normandy Farms and explored Boston from there. However we pull a toad.

Normandy Farms is an excellent park but you better have reservations pretty far out, especially in the fall.

ogimmeahome said:
Does anyone know of a good place to park a 32' Class C so we can take the subway to sightsee in Boston?

Minuteman Campground's website has a section on where to park an RV to use public transportation.  They say to use Riverside Station.

http://minutemancampground.com/boston-2/

At 32', you should call them and get some details while you're "inquiring about a reservation."  Commuter parking lots can fill up (the one we used always did, and it had almost 800 spaces).  You might have trouble finding enough adjacent spots to fit, and you should find out if you will have to pay for each spot or just for one vehicle.

Here's the MBTA page for Riverside Station:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/stations/?stopId=14146

Parking is operated by a private company.  There's a phone number and an email link for them on that page.  I'd check with them, but I'd also check with Minuteman anyway, since I assume the campground has actual experience with RVs parking there, and a LAZ employee might not really understand what parking a 32' RV entails.

We just got back from Boston.  We stayed at Minuteman CG.  This is a very nice campground and recommend it to anyone.  If your looking for a place to catch the subway and need to park your RV I would use the Riverside lot.  We arrived around 9:00am on a Monday and it was not full at all.  If you stay at Minuteman expect at least an hour of travel to Boston.  It's about 30 minutes of drive time and 30-40 minutes of subway or train time.

Thanks for reporting back.  Did they charge you for just one vehicle, or did you have to pay for however many spaces you took up?

I did not take my trailer in the lot.  We stayed at Minuteman CG and used that as our home base.  We would drive to either the train station or Riverside lot and used the subway.  I did see motor homes in the lot.  I believe we paid $6 to park at Riverside.  You will have no problem traveling to the Riverside lot with your RV. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom